• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Why Do We Love OoT So Much?

N

NascNaHéireann

I first played OOT last June 2012, and fell in love with the game instantly so much so its the highest ranked game on my 3ds with almost 300 hours. I remember being Inside The Deku Tree and thinking to myself WOW I was totally immersed in the game. I absolutely love the music, side quests, atmosphere, dungeons and the whole overall experience. Its just a game I don't want to stop playing when I start. It's addictive and so enjoyable and just love how you can be relaxed and just explore and ride around on Epona. Kind've hard to put into words really. Ive also played it on the VC. I cant say its nostalgia for me as ive never played it as a child and its not first Zelda game, but it is my favourite so far..

LittleGumball

Slammin' Salmon
Hate to be the bugger in the water, but I have to argue that none of Ocarina of Time's characters are worth remembering in that they're all incredibly one-dimensional and flat (sans Ganondork...kind of, Zelda, and possibly Link). I think that we all remember OoT's characters because we grew up with them, but in all honesty they are nothing stellar (majority of NPCs have like two lines in one text box).

Aside from the characters, I have to say the sidequests have a lot of deepness to them. On the surface, we're just collecting Cojiro and a couple of other stuff for the trading quest. But, if you take the time to consider the text, you'll find many great implications such as a relation between Cucco Lady (?), the Boss Man (iirc), the punk kid (Imma call him Grog), and the potion shop lady (iirc). OoT as a whole is essentially what DarkestLink said. It has flaws, but they're so negligible that we say the game is perfect.

I'm gonna have to say false. I always think of the "not-dancing" lady in front of the Target Practice game in Castle Town whenever I have an itch on my back. I also remembered each one and generally what they said when I saw them all in Majora's Mask. I thought they were all enjoyable and likeable (likable?), except maybe the lady that was obsessed with her silly dog. ("RICHARD?!!!?1/?!?!!!!")

Also, in response to the original question, it might be nostalgic value and replayability.

I think I know why:
nostalgia-logo-only-sm.jpg

Last edited:

Kirino

Tatakae
It was a great game, but nostalgia, lack of flaws, and it being revolutionary undeniably all play a big role in all of the praise it gets.

I definitely can't answer this question objectively due to the nostalgia factor. And really, is "objectivity" even relevant to a discussion of taste? (Spoiler Alert: No. It isn't.)

Playing Ocarina of Time coincided perfectly with childhood and it was the first immersive game experience I had. It's a game that I can still immerse myself in, so many years later! I am totally fine with the fact that my judgment is clouded by nostalgia. It will probably always be my favorite game, because I have every facet of it inscribed on my mind from such an early age. I'm more than willing to forgive its occasionally clunky graphics, occasionally cliché plot points, and occasionally one-dimensional characters.

I think part of the reason it was so successful is that limitations breed creativity. Despite the graphical and technological limitations that the N64 had, the designers did their very best to build a believable world with interesting and enjoyable gameplay. I think that comparing the actual game relative to the potential of the system, Ocarina of Time is probably the greatest success.

Z

zora master

I completley agree agree with you darkest link my favorites were oot and majoras mask mm be cause it brought back some of the characters from my favorite video game back to a new game. it made me so excited.:wynaut:

There are always certain games that pull you in when you play them for the first time. Whether it's the gameplay (Zelda, Mario), the great atmosphere (Metroid), or the amazing story (Fire Emblem, lots of JRPGs), something about it just clicks. For lots of gamers, the N64 era was great for these types of games: Mario 64 is seen as a revolutionary game, and as this thread indicates, many people see OoT as the best Zelda, or best overall, game of all time. As others above me have said, part of this has to do with the age at which we played OoT: the world seemed much more expansive and full of wonder to us as kids. However, the impressions you get playing a game the first time tend to stick with you, so (for me, anyways) lots of us likely get the same feelings from it now as we did then. Back then, there were three main things pulling me into it: the sense of wonder and discovery when exploring; the enjoyable and challenging-but-not-impossibly-difficult gameplay; and finally, all of the extra things you could do outside of the main story.

The exploration in the game was fantastic. Each area was unique, with great, memorable music to go along with it. Discovering a new place was exciting, and most were big enough that you could spend a little bit of time checking out all of the nooks and crannies. As Child Link, despite the various troubles each place was undergoing, there was a sense of liveliness at each area as well: people bustling around all over the place, normal life going on. This provided a great contrast to the change that comes over everything when you become Adult Link. Suddenly, everything is entirely different. There are few people, and everything has a dark edge to it. Not only did this make each area feel totally new when you revisited them, it also gave you a really good reason to want to defeat Ganondorf and get everything back the way it was. I personally loved the bittersweet feeling of the changed Hyrule.

To compliment this dark new Hyrule, the difficulty also ramped up a bit here. The first dungeons weren't too hard, all things considered, and they smoothly lead you into the game. These later ones, however, have tougher enemies, are really confusing in parts, and are a lot longer. You also aren't given as much direction as before; while there definitely are enough hints that it's hard to get stuck, it also means you have to try a little harder to figure out where to go next (I remember it took me a while to figure out how to get into the Forest and Fire Temples). This has a lot to do with the enjoyment of the game, because it lends a sense of accomplishment when you make progress, and it also lengthens the game. This is one aspect that makes replays not as enjoyable, because each time you go through it you start remembering more and more of the puzzles and boss/enemy patterns. I know you can make it more challenging for yourself if you want (and I have done the 3-heart challenge), and I know that it does add something to the replay value, but it's not quite the same. I've practically memorized the main quest, and so it feels a lot less rewarding to get a new item, or complete a dungeon.

That being said, the side-quests, on the other hand, have remained quite fresh for me over the years. Since you don't have to do all of them when you play the game, they aren't all entirely familiar to me. They also contributed a lot to the game when I played it the first time. The idea that they were extra things, that you could decide whether or not to do them, and when, added to the sense of exploration and freedom (even if the game was largely linear). There were quite a lot of them, too, between the heart pieces, golden skulltulas, and other various quests. Lots of the rewards for those other quests were pretty neat: the magic spells, the arrows, and, best of all, the Biggoron Sword. The extra little tidbits of information you learned about Hyrule and its people while doing these quests, while perhaps not too deep, also made them interesting. Often I would look forward to completing a dungeon just for the extra side-quests I would be able to do before going further with the main story.

These are the three main reasons I enjoyed, and continue to enjoy, Ocarina of Time. I know people often say that nostalgia is a huge factor as well, but I would argue that that's just another way of saying that your own childhood impressions of the game have stuck with you, so that you still get a little bit of that wonder when you replay it. It may never be quite so awe-inspiring as when you first walked into the Deku Tree, struck out across Hyrule Field, or got your first glimpse of the ruined Hyrule Town of Adult Link's world--but there will always be something that will inevitably draw you back to it every few years or so. In my personal experience that has been true, and I'm sure it will continue to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom