• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Do Some People Only Like Gen 1?

I honestly want to know this. As most of you may know, some people only like generation 1 and refuse to play games from other generations. I would like to know why. I'm not trying to be mean to these people or anything. I would just like to hear their reasoning for this. So if you are one of these people, please give a mature and reasonable answer to why you think like this.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'm not one of those people although for a time I used to subscribe to Gen I and Gen II only. My reasoning was thusly: I dislike(d) the designs of Gen III Pokemon and onwards; something in them just did not say "Pocket Monsters" but instead "generic designs". I mean, an Ice Cream Pokemon, really? Sure, Gen I pets were only generic animals, but that is far more engaging and "cool" to me than an ice cream cone. I don't want to eat a Chikorita, but I do want to munch on Vanillish.

EDIT: Going along that, there is virtually no difference in anything regarding gameplay and plot structure from Gen I to Gen V. Why would I go out and buy the same game multiple times? This is equivalent to purchasing the new Call of Duty titles (which i do, ironically).

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
I'm going to be honest, the ice-cream Pokemon is actually what got me excited about Black and White. Gen II is my favorite generation, yet I like all the other generations other than III. III had an awful storyline, horrid map design, and the designs for the Pokemon were attrocious. Game Freak was just trying to hard. You know they've relaxed a little when you have an ice-cream Pokemon.

I was hoping to get more replys to this post, becuse I really didn't get a answers from any gen 1ers. Oh well

Dan

I'm not one of those people although for a time I used to subscribe to Gen I and Gen II only. My reasoning was thusly: I dislike(d) the designs of Gen III Pokemon and onwards; something in them just did not say "Pocket Monsters" but instead "generic designs". I mean, an Ice Cream Pokemon, really? Sure, Gen I pets were only generic animals, but that is far more engaging and "cool" to me than an ice cream cone. I don't want to eat a Chikorita, but I do want to munch on Vanillish.

EDIT: Going along that, there is virtually no difference in anything regarding gameplay and plot structure from Gen I to Gen V. Why would I go out and buy the same game multiple times? This is equivalent to purchasing the new Call of Duty titles (which i do, ironically).

I think the little tweaks along the way have always really helped. I always think of Gen II as an excellent sequel. I think it did the right thing by sticking to the key formula, and it was great to go back to kanto just to explore it again. Then onwards I think it did need to do a lot more. Changing the plot or gameplay would of been a lot greater. Although I'm not sure on this but, was it Gen III that gave us pokemon passive abilities? Regardless I think the first three games were all pretty okay, by Gen III I wasn't to impressed by pokemon designs but I still think to this day that game had the best looking visuals and was the funnest to explore. Most towns where strikingly different from one another in appearance and routes were always a new experience not some generic path way like previous games , oh and dens were a pretty neat idea, I wouldn't mind seeing them come back tweaked in some way to be more helpful. Maybe Make them more useful like having the ability to heal pokemon and such in them, buy stuff out. Think player housing in games :P Oh and nothing beat going underwater to and rising up again to find a whole new town built inside a volcano, that was what I loved about Gen III. Regardless I think most people like Gen II more... It was a bigger and better game in my opinion and a lot easier to track when your pokemon leveled. :D

Austin

Austin
I always assumed they were just people who picked up Pokemon while it was hot, and then never really gave much of a damn afterwards. Once it stopped being pop culture their attention shifted elsewhere.

patrickthe8

The Last Onion Knight
They have theor Nostalgia goggles on. Its okay for gen 1 to be your favorite, but theres no reason to hate all the new ones.

Beeker

Wild Card
One word: Nostalgia. Although the core gameplay has stayed the same, elements like design(which are big in this series) have changed. They have become different than the games which made them fall in love and they do not like it. I don't see why people get so mad at vanilluxe, it's not like food based pokemon were introduced in gen five.
I also feel that these 'genwunners' don't realize that the spirit of Pokemon is still alive in the newer games. You may have grown out of the series, but for many young gamers these newer games will be their first, and they will be just as important to them.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
It's the same reason why Zelda fanboys/girls obsess over Ocarina of Time. Nostalgia is a big factor as to why they care so deeply for one gen, and can't give two ***** for all the others. Occasionally you have other fans of this generation who've played most of the other games, and have formulated their opinion based on experience; whereas, fanboys/girls who've only played Gen 1 and formulate their opinion on pure nostalgia.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
This isn't a pokemon phenomenon. It's a natural human reaction to change. Nearly every generation of people feels that their generation knew better than the one that came before it and was so much wiser than the one that they raised. Many people who were in on the ground floor of anything see change not as an evolution for the better, but a perversion of the original vision. Video games, government, religion, potato salad. It's all the same.

Socrates said:
The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
I think the only reason people are so obsessed with Gen I is because of the hype surrounding it at the time. Back it nineteen-ninety-who-gives-a-crap Pokemon was SERIOUS F*CKING BUSINESS. Some people were so into the first generation of Pokemon they refused to move on from that specific game. An issue similar to this lies within the Sonic, Mario, Megaman, and even CoD fanbases.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I only like Generation I and II...and for awhile, this was mainly because I hated the designs. The artist quit and they hired the Digimon designer to take his place...it felt like a sell out. But finally I was convinced to try Fire Red because it only had Gen I and II Pokemon on it (save a few exceptions)...and I still didn't like it. The game is too convoluted at this point. It's great to add some more depth into the series, but you don't need to make it overly complex for the sake of complexity. There are way too many freaking legendary Pokemon...it's ridiculous. And y'know, I already went through the horror of catching all the Pokemon only to do it again in Gen II...it just gets old.

I don't like continuously grinding each generation, the gameplay is getting overly complex and I don't find it as fun anymore, I HATE the designs of the new Pokemon, and there's simply way too many of them. Heck, 250 was pushing it. I'd say 200 is the ideal number, but I could live with 250. But how many do we have now? Over 9000 600?

Are there those that only like generation one? I have yet to meet anyone that only likes generation one, my only guess as to why this may be is simply because they have yet to play any other generation. Considering all Pokemon games stick to the same formula I can't see any of them not hitting all those sweet spots that Generation one didn't hit.

Din Akera

Sniper
I am definitely one of those people who hasn't played past gen 1. I can tell you that is isn't a snobby thing for me. It is simply that I became so quickly overwhelmed that I gave up. I fell in love with Generation1, I knew every pokemon, attacks, evolutions, the whole bit. I played Red and Yellow and loved them. I also watched the TV show religiously. When gen 2 came out I started to learn it, I was not expecting more, but I excepted that there was a whole new batch to learn and explore. But before I had the chance to settle into gen 2, gen 3 came out. I felt slightly overwhelmed and tried to get going on learning 2 so I could learn 3, and they slapped 4 on the table. At that point I just threw my hands up and said I'm out. It was too much all at once.

Now, lot of people have said to me 'you don't need t know them all to play'. Which is true, but when I get pokemon that I don't know what type they are, what kinds of attacks, etc etc, then I feel out of place and uneasy. I don't want to feel that way when I'm playing a game that is largely just for fun. Turn based play is slow paced and relaxed. I don't want to be stressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom