• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Adventure of Link Why Do Some People Not Like AoL?

The first time I played AoL, I thought it was pretty good. It's not as good as the original LoZ, but it still a good game. Even with it's extreme difficulty. But why do so many people hate it?

butterbiscuit

- Do Not Eat -
That's just it- it's extreme difficulty. Many people can't even make it past the first temple.

If a game is too hard, it takes away from the game. If you can get over the difficulty, Zelda II is a great game, but if it's too hard to even get into, what's the point?

My opinion is that yes the game is extremely difficult, but completing each temple in the game (especially death mountain and the area leading up to the final dungeon) is EXTREMELY rewarding. I died so many times and I even farmed experience in my first run through. Since I was like 2 when this game came out, I found that I played and completed this game only for the sake of completing it, one thing to check off the good ole bucketlist. I like this game, but its low on my list of favorite zelda games :)

Lastly, this game much like its predecessor LoZ, was really hard to find out where to go next or what to do next. That's the one thing I don't like about the NES Zelda Games. There's no direction hardly besides subtle hints. Especially that dude that hides in the forest in AoL :P

Big Octo

=^)
Adventure of Link is considered the black sheep because of its difficulty that only gets harder. As mentioned above, the game is very rewarding, especially after completing the nearly impossible palaces. When the difficulty is set aside, I consider it a quality game. It's different in almost every way from the original, but I still like it. I am as close as possible to completing it, but I can't do diddely-squat on Thunderbird. Thus concludes my opinion.

Garo

Boy Wonder
Also, it is very, very different from your typical Zelda game. The level building aspects are something you just don't see in other Zelda games, and for many people (myself included) this different gameplay style earns it a place at the bottom of the Zelda game hierarchy.

Crono

Hylian Rebel
Fans not liking a Zelda game because of the difficulty is laughable.

Kirino

Tatakae
Fans not liking a Zelda game because of the difficulty is laughable.

Not really. To many people, the game is just ridiculously hard. It's so hard, you can barely get into it. If you die every minute, it's just not fun. And on top of that, every time you die, which happens incredibly often, you get sent back to the North Temple and have to go all the way back to where you were. Many people just don't have the patience for that. Although it IS very rewarding when you finally beat the dungeon. I loved the first dungeon, because it was very hard, but not as incredibly difficult as the rest of the game. Also, it was close to the north temple. Though the game itself was very fun. Sadly, the extreme difficulty just ruins it for some people.

People compare it to LoZ 1 way too much or any other Zelda game for that matter. My advice, don't think about any other Zelda game. I am not saying "pretend that it is not a Zelda game," because AoL IS a Zelda game. Just don't compare it too much to other Zelda games. The difficulty is the main reason why a lot of people seem to hate it. You have to practice, especially in NES games. You have to play the game more than 5 minutes in order to be good. If you can't beat the first dungeon, then keep trying because you should learn from your mistakes. If you play AoL for a long time, then you might get better at it and you might have more fun.

Last edited:
I agree with StarBound. AoL should be looked at by itself, and not criticized just because of it's differences from other Zelda games. Old NES games do require some practice to get good at.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
I think something that you guys have overlooked is how the game was recieved back when it released. Wikipedia says the game sold 4.38 million copies (it's not clear how many were from the original release, though) which means it was a success. We can't be sure of what people thought back then.

Besides, Zelda wasn't as much of a household name as it is today. The fanbase could stand changes like that because there wasn't an established formula yet. Today we know that the series changed gears back to the engine we saw in the first game, had it been otherwise, who knows... maybe the first game would be considered the blacksheep?

It's some food for thought, you know.

Last edited:

jack546

The chosen one
i beat the first dungeon and it was HARD i keep trying to get to the second dungeon and i finaly did...then i died two secods in literaly im not kidding so basicaly people dont lie it for the difficulty but i bet everyone likes it too anybody who hates a zelda game even the cdi posibly with the exception of zelda's adventure (even though its cut scenes are awesome)doesn't deserve a spot on this site.

Garo

Boy Wonder
I agree with StarBound. AoL should be looked at by itself, and not criticized just because of it's differences from other Zelda games. Old NES games do require some practice to get good at.

It can be looked at by itself. The thing is, a lot of people - myself included - don't like the gameplay or the style of the game. I like the traditional Zelda style. If it weren't a Zelda game, I wouldn't have finished it.

AustinFox33

The Last Kilgannon
I just finished the original game. and started AoL today actually. So far its as hard as everyone says, and doesnt follow that "Zelda Formula" that we all love so much. So Id say those two things combined make it unappealing to most everyone besides that absolute core fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom