• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

WW-Wii U Why Do Some People Hate Wind Waker Because of the Graphics?

~SkullKid~

~Mazuke~
That seems to be a big thing about games today, people judge them on graphics and not the game play. This is a big disadvantage because people can miss out on a really fun and cool game. I actually like the cartoon style of Wind Waker, it gives you a whole new feel of Zelda. Do you agree or do you thinks games should be judged off of graphics?

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
At first seeing the graphics for Wind Waker I was amazed. I kept looking at the website Nintendo had up for it at the time, marveling at all the cool stuff they were putting into it. I was able to play it for the first time on the Special Edition disc, although as the demo. And years later a friend let me borrow his scratched copy, which ended up not working, but I was ultimately able to get a copy off Ebay. Having played Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess, and Ocarina of Time before it the experience was completely different for me. I started on Outset Island, like anyone else, taking in the brighter graphics, with surprising calmness, and as the game rolled on I found myself enjoying each new island. I even liked how the Great Sea looked, and how the music in every place accompanied it exceptionally.

So I frankly can say it wasn't the visuals that made the game seem less to me; it was other tedious qualities that prevented the immersion for me. Aside from those I could tell the cel-shaded graphics stressed upon the beauty and vividness of each landmass, structure, or otherwise. And while the Gamecube bore enhanced visual performance over the DS games, I'm consistently impressed by cel-graphs, as they've now been mixed with less-bright animations to form the marvelous world of Hyrule in Skyward Sword. :)

MW7

To answer why some people disliked the game because they didn't like the graphics, my answer is just that those people are incredibly shallow. It's fair to dislike the game's graphics, but it's unfair to not even play the game because of the graphics and then say the game is bad. I know that some people actually did this because it took me 4 years to convince my friend that he was crazy to dismiss Wind Waker as kiddy and not good just because of the graphics. Then he played the game and loved it.

Personally I can't comprehend why people care about graphics at all. I've never played a game because I thought the graphics were good; I've only ever chosen which games to buy and play based on whether or not I think I would enjoy the gamplay. As long as the graphics are good enough to distinguish items in the game I'm happy. Sometimes graphics actually bother me even; I played New Super Mario Bros. Wii and found myself thinking that if they didn't put so much detail into the backgrounds of the world, they might have been able to add more worlds. Also now more than ever graphics shouldn't matter; IMO the graphical difference between a ps2 game and a ps3 game is practically nonexistent compared to the graphical difference between a N64 game and a SNES game. The more technologically advanced we get, the smaller the difference in graphics between generations will be. Maybe my vision's just not perfect, but I barely can tell a difference between high definition and standard definition anyway.

Last edited:

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
I KNOW. I think its ridiculous for people to judge windwaker off of the graphics. With realistic looking graphics, they get extremely outdated with time (N64 graphics now look awful to us when games come out that practically look like actual people). The cel shading however, cant be outdated. it truly gives this game the feel of being timeless. even without dark and broody graphics, windwaker still was able to pack in so much emotion and suspense and adventure with graphics that some shallow critics would call (childish). When I think of windwaker my mind just floods with nostalgia of bright vibrant smooth colors accompanied with fantastic creative gameplay and, in my opinion, the BEST soundtrack to a zelda game by far. Sure the game has its flaws, but the graphics are most definitely not a flaw. Even the task of sailing everywhere, which seemed to annoy some people, is not a problem for me because of the soundtrack, the graphics, and the ultimate feel of open adventure

bobenstien

"How should I kill you?"
Personally, I love wind waker, some parts are hard, but it will always have it's spot in my heart. I doesn't even have bad graphics anyway!!! I agree with ~SkullKid~, why do some of u hate it?

First when i saw Wind Waker's graphics i was like - OHH!!!!
Then when i talked about it in a conversation they where like - BLEK!

This is what happened to Me! :)

Personaly i LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOve Wind Waker's graphics and anyone who knows me knows Wind Waker is my most BELOVED Zelda game EVARRR!
(sorry i was feeling silly :p).

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
people hate the graphics? everyone i've know says the graphics were great, some have said the the Wii version could have been refined more but generally were great. there are a lot of threads saying people hate X, Y or Z about TP but i've never actually seen anyone say that they hate whatever aspect of it, just that other people do.

ChuChuOfTime

Fish. Citizen of Foo
I think that people probably just think cartoons childish and like the more realistic look games are now getting. TWW is one of my favorite games and I really like the graphics, they're brighter than other games. Also I don't understand not playing a game because of graphics, they don't really change the game play.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
At first, I was thrown a bit by the toonish graphics of WW but as the story and game progressed it stopped bothering me as much. I began to enjoy it for what it was - a stylised representation of the Zelda universe.

I barely play this game though because I feel the sailing element of WW makes the game feel like it drags on and on as there is barely anything to do except make sure you are heading in the right direction.

That is the only drawback of this game for me.

First of all, I believe you're all talking about the ART STYLE rather than the graphics. But personally, it's my favorite of the series (until SS came out). I first played it when I was 13 and I was used to HD graphics in stuff like CoD. When I first played this, it reminded me of the cartoons that I watched when I was 7 or so. It reminded me that there can still be a good game no matter how it looks.

Fullmetal

The Spy-Sniper Combo
The reason why a bunch of people hate the graphics is because the look "cartoonish" compared to other Zelda games. I, for one, like them. They make me think whenever I see them "Ah Wind Waker, that was a great game." I remember when I got Wind Waker. I was calling all the local gamestops, looking for a used copy. By luck, I found one. I played the heck out of it once I got it. Wind Waker was the game that really got me into Zelda.

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
It's not really the graphics that everyone hates on (honestly, that game showed off the graphical power of the GameCube), it was more of the art direction. At Spaceworld 2000(?), everyone saw this awessome video of a relistic Link and realistic Ganondorf clashing with swords, and everyone was blown away.

Then, when WW's first video came out, everyone was left scratching their heads. A few years prior, they were shown realistic swordplay. Now, there's a cartoony kid, which made everyone baffled. However, the art direction heavily influences how the game is played.

The art style introduced level designs that would be impossible on a realistic approach. Perhaps it's because everyone was expecting realistic with magical influences, but WW was out of what they wanted.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Speak of the devil; TWW is featured on Wikipedia's front page!

Anyway, as Petman and others have surely noted, people hated TWW for the art style. They weren't anticipating cartoon graphics, they wanted the realism portrayed in SpaceWorld 2000. They didn't get that, so they raged.

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
i would have preferred it to look like how Zelda 128 was but the game is really good, would be in my top 5. there are a few times it looks a bit didgy but even SS is having that but i don't let it get in the way

Niko Bellic 817

GH3: Legends of Rock
Speak of the devil; TWW is featured on Wikipedia's front page!

Anyway, as Petman and others have surely noted, people hated TWW for the art style. They weren't anticipating cartoon graphics, they wanted the realism portrayed in SpaceWorld 2000. They didn't get that, so they raged.[/QUOTE
That and they probably associated the graphics as "kiddy" and automatically assumed that the gameplay would be too simple, which it kind of is. They might go with similar graphics for Zelda Wii U.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom