• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

WW-Wii U Why Do Some People Hate Wind Waker Because of the Graphics?

I didnt like the graphics in Wind Waker at all. Neither did I like the gameplay. I know I sound very negative but it didnt even feel like a zelda game to me, felt more like some childish cartoon.

If you don't like the Wind Waker graphics does that mean you also dislike Minish Cap, Phantom hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Four Swords and Skyward Sword?

Aside from the sailing, I didn't see that much of a difference in gameplay between Wind Waker and any other 3d Zelda games, it was all still in there. Z-targeting, hookshot, bow, hammer and boomerang... even the new items like the Deku Leaf didn't feel alien to me, it still felt like a Zelda. The only thing for me un-Zelda like in Wind Waker were a couple of the locations really... the Pirate Stronghold was very different to other side-dungeons we've seen.

The graphics didn't impact on the story at all, had Wind Waker had Twilight Princess graphics we'd all be sick of our lives. Endless murky waters as far as the eye could see and i can't see the islands in the distance looking too great outside of the art style of Wind Waker, they had a good degree of foreboding and wonder about them as you approached. The ending to Wind Waker was very emotional too, and i think that particular ending would have lost all of its magic if it had been shown in realistic graphics.

Even though i crave for a darker and more realistic Zelda with HD graphics in the future, Wind Waker's style is very much here to stay, its easier for Nintendo to knock out Zelda games for handhelds and consoles like the Wii that aren't power houses by giving those games the WW style graphics, even though the Wii could play TP and the 3ds can play OoT better than the N64 ever could, it may be that Nintendo are being lazy... or you could see the WW as genius (and at the time, a gutsy move) like i do.

It wasnt as much the graphics as the character design. Alot of the main characters in the game looked like a 5 year old kid. Also, who wants to see a little movie everytime you use the grappling hook? Everything just felt so slow and non-exciting to me. I just cant like it sorry :(

It wasnt as much the graphics as the character design. Alot of the main characters in the game looked like a 5 year old kid. Also, who wants to see a little movie everytime you use the grappling hook? Everything just felt so slow and non-exciting to me. I just cant like it sorry :(

I didn't like the graphics for a very long time, i actually gave up with the game when i first played it, i had only played OoT before it and wasn't much of a Zelda fan, somewhere along the road i became a Zelda fan and hunted all the games back out. This time around, knowing the history of Hyrule and a lot of Zelda information, Wind Waker acually appealed to me, i knew what was beneath the waves i felt a sadness that it was gone and how it had all came to pass and that made the 'chibi'/ 5 year old kid style make sense to me. This was the beginning of another timeline, this was the dawn of a new age and we would see it through the eyes of those who have not known anything else.

The chibi style also made Ganondorf a lot more imposing, since Link did have a rather hard time dispatching him in the cutscenes and was pretty beaten up by the end nd had the King of Red Lions not made a wish, Link probably wouldn't have won. But yeah, its preference i guess and i'm glad the chibi thing only stayed with the Wind Waker and its sequels rather than following through into SS etc. Though in my head i just told myself that the chibi WW styled link was just Young Link in an expressionist style or a Teletubby... seriously if you draw a grey box on his stomach he doesn't look too far from one. =3

TL123

TL And TZ
WW graphics is funny and i dont hate WW, because it's long, funny, great andthe graphics is okey if you ask me.

Danigo92498

Someone You Met Online
In my opinion, the graphics were great. They suited the game prefectly. I think the main reason some people didn't like it is because in Zelda they expect Link to look like a man. For example, Twilight Princess or OoT, or what about fighting games like Super Smash Bros. Melee or Brawl there has always been a grown up Link. In Wind Waker, it seemed like (to them) that Nintendo had gone soft like Wind Waker seemed childish. I was a little confused when I first got it because I had thoght Link was more manly but I grew to love it.
--
There just not true Zelda-fans if they care about the graphics more than the adventure.

YoshiFlame

Businessman of Legend
I actually really liked the graphics. It was a nice change from OoT. Besides, I don't see how the graphics make it a childish game. I personally thought that it had a pretty dark story. Here are all these people living on islands, but the land of Hyrule is now but a legend. The people are completely oblivious that the great evil from the legends is still among them. By the end of the game, it gets pretty emotional too.

Teron

van der Nguyen
Probably the main reason why we didn't like Wind Waker are Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. These two previous console games just showed us how serious can a Zelda game be, and folowing that, we couldn't stand for a game that looks way too simple and somehow even unfinished.

Probably the main reason why we didn't like Wind Waker are Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. These two previous console games just showed us how serious can a Zelda game be, and folowing that, we couldn't stand for a game that looks way too simple and somehow even unfinished.

I agree that waiting for a Zelda game on a more powerful console following OoT and MM and getting WW was quite jarring but most of us look back at it rather fondly and the style stayed and is increasingly becoming the most used Zelda style for the handheld games at least.

I want to know though, why you think WW was unfinished. Do you mean just in graphics with how plain they were or do you mean other elements because I thought WW was a rather brilliant Zelda experience and much better than skyward Sword in my opinion.

the problems with all those games like mc, ww, ss and so forth weren't the graphic's for most people, but the art style. U like it or not, but many people don't know the difference between art style and graphics, and jsut call it bad 'bad graphics' if they don't like it.

I Love WW Graphics. They(And The Game)Make Me Feel So Happy When I Play It. I Don't Really Care About Graphics That Much And While Xbox And PS3 Have Way Many Graphics Than Wii, I Still Love Wii/Nintendo Games Way Better Because of The Gameplay.

F

Fran

I love WW. It's my favourite Zelda game!
Absolutely I don't care about the graphics.

F

Flare24

People don't like things because of small things like graphics because they don't like change and won't even give some things a chance. I really liked WW it was pretty fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom