• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Do So Many Ppl Think There is a Split Timeline...?

F

filipepw

the way i see it, THERE IS NO SPLIT TIMELINE!
Ocarina of Time just goes 2 times in the timeline cause it has a 7 year gap between
i can agree on any theory there is as long as its backed up by good arguments
but not this, there is just no logic
its only logical that link fast forwards in time during OoT....

Dr3W21

shoegaze girl
Okay, when he's an adult, that is the future where Ganondorf/Ganon has taken over Hyrule. Link beats Ganon, banishing him to the Sacred Realm. This is a single timeline that continues on in the Hyrule ruined by Ganon. This is the adult timeline.
After so, Zelda sends him back in time, where he can continue with his regular life and not have to worry about Ganon. He then starts another timeline from then. The child timeline.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out which orders the games come in. I don't believe it is possible to construct a perfect timeline.

For those of you who say this is confusing, I'll tell you something that's even more confusing. Trying to put together a linear timeline. It's literally impossible. LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE.

Last edited:

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
Because it was confirmed by Nintendo...

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
First, Link didn't fast-forward through time. He slept in the Sacred Realm for seven years. I think you're under the impression that all the events that occur while Link is an adult is on the adult timeline and all the events that occur as a child are on the child timeline. This is not true. Everything in OoT except for the very last scene happens on the adult timeline. This is the one timeline you're seeing. The child timeline is created when Zelda sends him back in time at the end of the game in order to create a new chain of events that involve Link living a normal childhood. In diagram form, I think this is your current conception of the split timeline:

adult events -> adult ending
\child events -> child ending

You are correct, this makes no sense. The adult events follow directly after the child events in one continuous timeline, like so:

child events -> 7-year sleep -> adult events -> adult ending

The split timeline comes in with the child ending, which creates an alternative to the child events of the original timeline:

\child ending (-> Majora's Mask)

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
There is one because that's the way Nintendo made it. When Link pulled out the Master Sword, his spirit was sealed in the Chamber of Sages for seven years. When he woke up, he awakened the 6 Sages and faced Ganondorf, who transformed into Ganon afterward. When Link defeated Ganon, Zelda sent him back to his own time using the Ocarina of Time. He was sent back the same way he would have by putting the MS back in its pedestal, but was somehow sent back before he got the other two Spiritual Stones. But, Zelda can do that with the Ocarina of Time. The time that Link left behind remained in existence, as is evidenced by the festival in the credits. The Wind Waker is a follow-up to the time Link left behind. Majora's Mask comes a little after Link came back to his own time and prevented Ganondorf from touching the Triforce, as he knew not to open the Door of Time. There's no way there can be a linear one do to the in-game facts of OoT, WW, MM, and TP. That's what doesn't have logic.

............./WW/PH--ST
SS--OoT
.............\MM--TP

That's how that's played out. (The rest of the "timeline" is unofficial.) And, no, none of that is theory. All of that is real. (The "Link stopping Ganondorf from touching the Triforce" thing isn't actually written, but it had to have happened. I mean, how else did Ganondorf not get the Triforce? And surely Link wouldn't have gone looking for Navi without stopping Ganondorf first. That's why Nintendo showed Link approaching Zelda as a child again at the end of the credits. I'm not the only one who says this. It's widely accepted. And for a reason.)

Also, if you're going to put out something like this, at least try to back it up. All you did was come in here and act like we're all idiots. I'm not downing on you, I'm just saying, this is the Theory section. If you're going to bring up something like this, you can't just make a blatant statement like this.

F

filipepw

First, Link didn't fast-forward through time. He slept in the Sacred Realm for seven years. I think you're under the impression that all the events that occur while Link is an adult is on the adult timeline and all the events that occur as a child are on the child timeline. This is not true. Everything in OoT except for the very last scene happens on the adult timeline. This is the one timeline you're seeing. The child timeline is created when Zelda sends him back in time at the end of the game in order to create a new chain of events that involve Link living a normal childhood. In diagram form, I think this is your current conception of the split timeline:

adult events -> adult ending
\child events -> child ending

You are correct, this makes no sense. The adult events follow directly after the child events in one continuous timeline, like so:

The split timeline comes in with the child ending, which creates an alternative to the child events of the original timeline:

\child ending (-> Majora's Mask)

that part of the alternate ending... its like saying God is real...
what makes logical sense:

child link->Majoras Mask-> (eventually other games acording to what you think)->adult link-> adult ending

i have an argument to prove there is no split too
Zelda plays the ocarina to brieng link back, so how can you have the ocarina in majoras mask?
because he didnt move in time, time went back, like in the VHS tapes, backwards, so the ocarina returns to links item menu^^
if link was just sent back in time, zelda would have kept the ocarina in the future

There is one because that's the way Nintendo made it. When Link pulled out the Master Sword, his spirit was sealed in the Chamber of Sages for seven years. When he woke up, he awakened the 6 Sages and faced Ganondorf, who transformed into Ganon afterward. When Link defeated Ganon, Zelda sent him back to his own time using the Ocarina of Time. He was sent back the same way he would have by putting the MS back in its pedestal, but was somehow sent back before he got the other two Spiritual Stones. But, Zelda can do that with the Ocarina of Time. The time that Link left behind remained in existence, as is evidenced by the festival in the credits. The Wind Waker is a follow-up to the time Link left behind. Majora's Mask comes a little after Link came back to his own time and prevented Ganondorf from touching the Triforce, as he knew not to open the Door of Time. There's no way there can be a linear one do to the in-game facts of OoT, WW, MM, and TP. That's what doesn't have logic.

............./WW/PH--ST
SS--OoT
.............\MM--TP

That's how that's played out. (The rest of the "timeline" is unofficial.) And, no, none of that is theory. All of that is real. (The "Link stopping Ganondorf from touching the Triforce" thing isn't actually written, but it had to have happened. I mean, how else did Ganondorf not get the Triforce? And surely Link wouldn't have gone looking for Navi without stopping Ganondorf first. That's why Nintendo showed Link approaching Zelda as a child again at the end of the credits. I'm not the only one who says this. It's widely accepted. And for a reason.)

Also, if you're going to put out something like this, at least try to back it up. All you did was come in here and act like we're all idiots. I'm not downing on you, I'm just saying, this is the Theory section. If you're going to bring up something like this, you can't just make a blatant statement like this.

"When Link pulled out the Master Sword, his spirit was sealed in the Chamber of Sages for seven years. When he woke up.."
i dont see how this is a fact ...
what happens, link pulls the sword, blue light, and he's standing with the sword in hand
he's not awakening

and there is nothing official by Nintendo on this matter
just some dude got interviewed and got missunderstood while explaning some thing involving timlines and time travel...

like i said, it doesnt make logical sense to me
and im not here to insult anyone or take everyones hate
just to find out more about what other ppl think, and if they are right or not

Last edited by a moderator:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
what makes logical sense:

child link->Majoras Mask-> (eventually other games acording to what you think)->adult link-> adult ending

Zelda plays the ocarina to brieng link back, so how can you have the ocarina in majoras mask?
because he didnt move in time, time went back, like in the VHS tapes, backwards, so the ocarina returns to links item menu^^
if link was just sent back in time, zelda would have kept the ocarina in the future

That argument has no merit. He was sent back before Zelda gave him the Ocarina of Time. Therefore it still exists. Just like the Triforce was still whole and the other two Spiritual Stones were still in their original places. And, yes, he was sent back as in a rewind. We all know that. Why would you anyone say otherwise? And what alternate ending are you talking about? There is no alternate ending. The ending of the game is Link being sent back the same way he would have by placing the Master Sword in the Pedestal of Time, only he was went back to before he met Zelda. Since Zelda used the Ocarina of Time to do this, the time where Link defeated Ganon was still in existance.

And why bring God into this? There's no similarity to this involving Him.

"When Link pulled out the Master Sword, his spirit was sealed in the Chamber of Sages for seven years. When he woke up.."
what happens, link pulls the sword, blue light, and he's standing with the sword in hand
he's not awakening

Yes he was. That's stated in-game. Rauru says his spirit was sealed and when he woke up, he was then old enough to be the Hero of Time.

just some dude got interviewed and got missunderstood while explaning some thing involving timlines and time travel...

No, it's not misunderstood. Otherwise Nintendo would have corrected us on that. Nintendo of America says this, too. It's evidenced by The Wind Waker. It came after the time Link left behind, while Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess came after the time Link came back to. That's evidenced by the in-game facts. Such as Ganondorf breaking his seal, and the people believing the Hero of Time would return. Link was never the Hero of Time in the time he came back to. He was only the Hero of Time in the time that was 7 years later. When Zelda sent him back with the Ocarina of Time, it created a split. Again, this is evidenced by the festival in the credits. It shows all the people in their 7 years later form, and the Sages are seen flying by. The Sages weren't awakened in the time Link came back to. Plus, Ruto is an adult when they're shown. She was a child in the time Link came back to. All this is the proof of the split. Nintendo made it that way, hence the reason they say it's official.

like i said, it doesnt make logical sense to me
and im not here to insult anyone or take everyones hate
just to find out more about what other ppl think, and if they are right or not

It doesn't make logical sense to you. That doesn't make what you're saying official. And we're not here to hate you. You asked a question, so we answered. If you're trying to find out what we think and if we're right or not, why not listen to this? I'm not saying this is what you're doing, but you seem to be one of those people that just comes in here and tells us what's right and what's wrong, and no matter how much evidence and proof we give you, you just brush it off and say "I'm right because that's what I think." That's not good for the theory section. If that's what you're doing (again, not saying you are), you need to not post this kind of stuff.

First, Link didn't fast-forward through time. He slept in the Sacred Realm for seven years. I think you're under the impression that all the events that occur while Link is an adult is on the adult timeline and all the events that occur as a child are on the child timeline. This is not true. Everything in OoT except for the very last scene happens on the adult timeline. This is the one timeline you're seeing. The child timeline is created when Zelda sends him back in time at the end of the game...

I'd never thought about it that way, and I thought it was backwards at first. However, that's basically is how it happened. I already knew the split didn't happen until the end of the game, but I just always thought of it as the time Link left behind still existing. Which it is, but what you said is more along the lines of what's actually truth.

Last edited:

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I fail to see the analogy. In fact, the alternate ending has physical proof, while God requires faith.

-Navi leaves Link in the child ending and is gone during Majora's Mask. Then she suddenly reappears when Link becomes an adult?
-Zelda sends Link back to relive his childhood. According to this continuity this fails because he still has to defeat Ganondorf. I think it's pretty torturous to send Link into an infinite loop of suffering through the trials of Ganondorf's rule. She's also essentially killing him, not allowing him to live past (15-17, whatever age he is).
-You have to fit Ganondorf's execution attempt somewhere in there. Link can't seal Ganondorf in the Sacred Realm if he's already sealed in the

Link has the Ocarina of Time in Majora's Mask because young Zelda gave it to him. This is shown in a cutscene within the game. If she gives Link the ocarina at this point, then how can she still have it to give to him as Ganondorf's taking her away?

he's not awakening
We only see it that way because we see it from Link's perspective. In reality, this happens:
Rauru said:
However, you were too young to be the Hero of Time...
Therefore, your spirit was sealed here for seven years.
And now that you are old enough, the time has come for you to awaken as the
Hero of Time!

Shigeru Miyamoto: Well, wait, which point does the hundred years start from?
Eiji Aonuma: From the end.
Shigeru Miyamoto: No, I mean, as a child or as a...
Eiji Aonuma: Oh, right, let me elaborate on that. Ocarina of Time basically has two endings of sorts; one has Link as a child and the other has him as an adult. This game, The Wind Waker, takes place a hundred years after the adult Link defeats Ganon at the end of Ocarina.
Nintendo Dream: When does Twilight Princess take place?

Eiji Aonuma: In the world of Ocarina of Time, a hundred and something years later.

Nintendo Dream: And the Wind Waker?

Eiji Aonuma: The Wind Waker is parallel. In Ocarina of Time, Link flew seven years in time, he beat Ganon and went back to being a kid, remember? Twilight Princess takes place in the world of Ocarina of Time, a hundred and something years after the peace returned to kid Link's time. In the last scene of Ocarina of Time, kids Link and Zelda have a little talk, and as a consequence of that talk, their relationship with Ganon takes a whole new direction. In the middle of this game [Twilight Princess], there's a scene showing Ganon's execution. It was decided that Ganon be executed because he'd do something outrageous if they left him be. That scene takes place several years after Ocarina of Time. Ganon was sent to another world and now he wants to obtain the power...
"some dude" is Eiji Aonuma, producer of the Zelda series. He knows his stuff. These are explicit explanations; I don't see how they could have been misunderstood. These quotes were five years apart and they mesh perfectly.

Also, in a linear timeline, Twilight Princess must come before or after The Wind Waker. It simply can't. Ganon is sealed in the Sacred Realm before WW, and Hyrule doesn't exist afterward.

Sage of Darkness

The Different Sage...
For now, there isn't a specific timeline. Nintendo wanted us to create our own timeline. I mean, I looked at some of the timeline theories here, and all of them are not the same. We all have our own opinions. I think there is a split timeline where Ganondorf is sealed away in two ways. Let me show you what I mean:

Adult timeline:
Ganondorf get ealed away in the Sacred Realm by the Six Sages. (Here it's up to us to think what happens, though it's pretty obvious that The Wind Waker comes next.)
Child timeline: Link warns princess Zelda about Ganondorf's plan and Ganondorf is sent to be executed by the sages. But since only the Master Sword can kill Ganon, the sages sealed him away in the twilight realm instead. (Here it's again up to us to thinkwhat happens, though it's pretty obvious that Majora's Mask comes next and probably Twilight Princess after that.)

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
For now, there isn't a specific timeline. Nintendo wanted us to create our own timeline. I mean, I looked at some of the timeline theories here, and all of them are not the same. We all have our own opinions. I think there is a split timeline where Ganondorf is sealed away in two ways. Let me show you what I mean:

Adult timeline:
Ganondorf get ealed away in the Sacred Realm by the Six Sages. (Here it's up to us to think what happens, though it's pretty obvious that The Wind Waker comes next.)
Child timeline: Link warns princess Zelda about Ganondorf's plan and Ganondorf is sent to be executed by the sages. But since only the Master Sword can kill Ganon, the sages sealed him away in the twilight realm instead. (Here it's again up to us to thinkwhat happens, though it's pretty obvious that Majora's Mask comes next and probably Twilight Princess after that.)

It's not that only the Master Sword can kill Ganondorf, it's that he had the Triforce of Power. But other than that, you are correct.

skybird11

state alchemist
so you've seen the time line like this right?

...../ ww/PH--ST
Oot
.....\MM--TP

and so on. But try to imagine it like this:

Oot--WW/PH--ST
.....\ MM--TP

So there is a linear time line where link doesn't exist anymore and a branching timeline where link never goes to collect the spiritual stones and open the door of time.

But time travel can be a weird thing irl. maybe going back in time replaces the old you or maybe the older you goes back and meets the younger you so there are 2 yous at one time. But in Oot it uses the one where you replace yourself. So in what is called the "adult timeline", Link disappears and replaces himself within the "child timeline" permenantly.

maybe because...its official...?

really, its fairly impossible to disagree now, some people has explained it very well in this threat, I am just supporting

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!

...../ ww/PH--ST
Oot
.....\MM--TP

Oot--WW/PH--ST
.....\ MM--TP

So there is a linear time line where link doesn't exist anymore and a branching timeline where link never goes to collect the spiritual stones and open the door of time.

But time travel can be a weird thing irl. maybe going back in time replaces the old you or maybe the older you goes back and meets the younger you so there are 2 yous at one time. But in Oot it uses the one where you replace yourself. So in what is called the "adult timeline", Link disappears and replaces himself within the "child timeline" permenantly.

Dude...you just made one of the best explanations I've ever seen.

F

filipepw

...../ ww/PH--ST
Oot
.....\MM--TP

Oot--WW/PH--ST
.....\ MM--TP

its the best explanaition so far and it makes sense but that seam like it shouldnt be called ocarina of time, but ocarina of dimentions.. (no hate intended)

this is how i see it:

OoT->--OoT child end-------OoT adult end-->TP--->WW-- bla bla
...............................\MM/

i have to check that credit ending again, but i normally think credits show moments during the game and not from after the game i finished spirit tracks last night and only in the very end do you see something from after the game story, and its meaningless...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom