• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why do people think I'm stupid for liking Zelda?

CyborgElfStephanie

Just a loser loving Legend of Zelda and anime
Back when I was in school I had a Link hat on because I felt a bit stupid in a fun way when a kid who plays games like Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto called me stupid because I like Zelda. What makes people think being a Zelda fan means I'm stupid?

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Nintendo is known for being a family friendly child console, and Zelda is no exception. That is all

Gaming culture is kind of weird that way. Especially in school, kids are very picky about establishing what is seen as cool and uncool within each group. Liking certain genres of music is pretty similar. You're cool if you like rap with one crowd. Another crowd thinks you're like savage and tough if you like metal. People in school would often pursue listening to artists/genres in order to impress the crowd they're trying to fit into. It's a time where people are sort of trying to figure out what their crowd is, so if you're too individual with your interests, I believe your peers feel threatened by that. A lot of gamers in high school turned to shooters because that was what was deemed "cool" at the time. Minecraft was another game that was apparently something the cool gamer kids were playing. Anything affiliated with Nintendo is usually just kind of dismissed and laughed at because it doesn't appeal to the "hardcore" audience, and if you're trying to look cool to people, you gotta come across as being into all the hardcore stuff.

There could also be some discrimination at play, though it's really hard to say for certain. Depends on the crowd. Gaming isn't quite as stereotyped to a male demographic as it used to be, but a lot of the "hardcore gamers" are still mostly socially awkward guys, who don't take girls seriously within the gaming scene. There are multiple reasons for it, but I won't get into it too much. I'll just say that it has something to do with the guys thinking girls are flirting with them by "faking" an interest in gaming, and doubt their skills with a controller. "Girl gamer" has negative connotations because most of these types of guys only perceive girls as, like, objects to hit on and they cannot conceive them actually playing video games.

But yeah high school is pretty stupid because everyone wants to be accepted by people, but their way of finding acceptance is by not accepting other people. It's a very weird social hierarchy, kind of like how a lot of people bully people in order to not get bullied.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
There is this dumb idea that family-oriented things or things kids can enjoy too are dumb and lame, usually by edgy 14 year olds and adults who never grew out of their edgy rebellious phase. I encountered many people like that in my high school career, and it did make me keep my love for the series to myself for a while. However, doodling Link in Spanish class is the reason one of the greatest friends I’ve ever had in my life started talking to me. These days, I wear my love for the series like a badge of honor, proudly. It’s always something I mention in ice breaker activities in school now. You shouldn’t let other people’s misguided opinions dictate the way you want to present yourself to the world.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Nintendo games tend to be family friendly, they aren't really cool games once you get out of Elementry School, in Elementry School if you liked Nintendo games it was ok. My two best friends I met in Elementry School because we liked Nintendo games.

By time people hit their teens they reject Nintendo, consider it uncool, and games like GTA and CoD are the cool games.

Funny thing is, any real gamer probably started out playing Nintendo games and probably secretly still likes some Nintendo games. Once they mature they'll admit that Nintendo games aren't uncool, people just say that when they are teens because social status is the biggest concern for some people in High School.

I've been criticized for loving it for years, but for different reasons.I don't just love Zelda, I love many other games too, it's just that Zelda is closer to my heart than the others. If anyone calls you stupid for it, that's on them. Don't care about what other people think, everyone has their own taste.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
Gaming culture is kind of weird that way. Especially in school, kids are very picky about establishing what is seen as cool and uncool within each group. Liking certain genres of music is pretty similar. You're cool if you like rap with one crowd. Another crowd thinks you're like savage and tough if you like metal. People in school would often pursue listening to artists/genres in order to impress the crowd they're trying to fit into. It's a time where people are sort of trying to figure out what their crowd is, so if you're too individual with your interests, I believe your peers feel threatened by that. A lot of gamers in high school turned to shooters because that was what was deemed "cool" at the time. Minecraft was another game that was apparently something the cool gamer kids were playing. Anything affiliated with Nintendo is usually just kind of dismissed and laughed at because it doesn't appeal to the "hardcore" audience, and if you're trying to look cool to people, you gotta come across as being into all the hardcore stuff.

There could also be some discrimination at play, though it's really hard to say for certain. Depends on the crowd. Gaming isn't quite as stereotyped to a male demographic as it used to be, but a lot of the "hardcore gamers" are still mostly socially awkward guys, who don't take girls seriously within the gaming scene. There are multiple reasons for it, but I won't get into it too much. I'll just say that it has something to do with the guys thinking girls are flirting with them by "faking" an interest in gaming, and doubt their skills with a controller. "Girl gamer" has negative connotations because most of these types of guys only perceive girls as, like, objects to hit on and they cannot conceive them actually playing video games.

But yeah high school is pretty stupid because everyone wants to be accepted by people, but their way of finding acceptance is by not accepting other people. It's a very weird social hierarchy, kind of like how a lot of people bully people in order to not get bullied.

This hits the mark pretty well I think.

In my experience Zelda (or Nintendo games as a whole) were cool until after the 6th grade. Then throughout High School (7th-12th Grade) it was suddenly "uncool" for reasons described above before suddenly being cool again at University. The wonderful freedom that comes with leaving High School is that is you don't have to put up this fake front about what you like because you don't have to see the same people everyday and can just stop seeing people who belittle you. Once people grow up a bit they tend to care less about what other people do with their hobby time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom