• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

WW-Wii U Why Do People Hate The Wind Waker?

I've been planning to replay the game so I can have a more fair evaluation of the game. Since I never got a GameCube, I had to get one of those crappy third party controllers that only looks like a GameCube controller, so I spent a lot of time being mad at the controls.

For me, I absolutely hated the sailing. It was tedious constantly trying to get around, even when gained the ability to teleport. The art style doesn't bother me too much. I really don't like how you had to get the Triforce of Courage. I know it's really a throwback to the first game, but the way it's handled is essentially "NOW TO FIGHT GANON- Oh wait, you need to do one last fetch quest."

The art style is acceptable, but it's not my favorite. I really can't say I hate it.

piratedude108

BANANA WITH DREADS!!!!!!!
Why do people think the graphics are so bad, I mean really they arn't that bad, the're actually pretty good. Combat was a bit easy, something that will hopefully improve In skyward sword. Also the gret sea is great (really big!) almost to great. It took forever to get to one island to another but I actually kinda liked it because it added a bit of realisticness to the game. One thing I liked about the game is that it had a great story, didn't like tetra to much but overall the story was great.

I would make this my 5th favorite game so it is one of the better games:)

Well I actually just finished beating Wind Waker for about the 8th time, (yes it's my favorite game in the series) and like all Zelda games I don't think people truly HATE the game, but it does need improvements for sure.

Some main negative points that I find through my playthroughs is one, lack of dungeons. The dungeons in this game were simple at best, and none really had the same puzzle like feel that you get with other zelda games. The puzzles that they did have were easy and short to complete, and there was no backtracking neccesary to complete.

Two, the story. While I think this game had some of the best character development done, coupled by some of the best sidequests in the series, I felt that the beggining was really slow. After you go to the Forsaken Fortress to rescue your sister up until you obtain all three pearls the story is dry. You go forth collecting all the pearls without any real meaning behind why your collecting them. What are they? Who are they for? Why do I need to do this? I felt like a was galavanting through the first few dungeons without any real purpose. Started off slow, however i think it's balanced out by IMO one of my favorite and strongest endings of any Zelda games.

Finally, the islands. While I feel the main islands such as Windfall, Dragonroost, Forest Haven, Outset, etc. were done beautifully, the rest of them seemed naked. I felt like I would go to an Island, get whatever secret is their, and then never go back to it again. While I know every single island can't be as complex as the main ones, I feel Nintendo could've done something to spruce up the somewhat boring feel I got from most of the scattered islands.

With these negatives though, there are many positives! I could list all of the beautiful things i saw with this game, but I'll restrict myself to only a few.

The freedom of sailing! I know I just previously stated that I felt the islands were a bit bare, but that certainly didn't stop me from searching and sailing every single square inch of the great sea. Accompanied by the beautiful music that is the sailing theme, and to an extent, the greatest soundtrack of any zelda game IMO, I never once got tired of sailing around aimlessly discovering new things at each turn. As soon as you get your wind waker, you're free to sail wherever you want to and however long you want to (and believe me I did). No other Zelda game has ever gave me the sence of freedom that I got with the Wind Waker. Whether I was aimlessly sailing just engulfing myself in the beautiful scenery and music that the game offered me, or collecting all the treasure charts, nobody can ever take away from me the pure enjoyment i experienced sailing.

And last but not least, the attention to detail. Each character in this game was beautifully scripted with a great personality. No other Zelda game has ever made me want to talk to every single person in the game to find out what they were going to say. With the hilarious expressions from the enemies to the unique personality given to every character, i felt totally emersed (sorry if that's spelt wrong) in the game and it only made me want to play more to see what was coming around the corner.

Overall while Wind Waker is my favorite game in the sereies, like all games it has its faults. It's all up to personal preference really, different strokes for different folks. I don't think anyone hates it, alteast I've never met anybody that has.

Also as a note, it's funny that you mention how the parrying made the game too easy. TBH I never really thought of that, I guess it makes sence the more I think about it. However I rarley ever parryed and by the 1st dungeon I forgot I even could up until the dark nuts or w/e they're called lol.

When I first heard of Wind Waker,I thought it was amazing,and I couldn't wait to get my hands on it.My first Zelda was Phantom Hourglass,and ever since then,I was hooked.I can't remember where exactly I first saw Wind Waker,but I know that I saw a video of it on YouTube,and I just couldn't believe there was any hate for the game.It took awhile to get a working copy of the game for Christmas,but when I finally did,I nearly squealed with joy.As soon as I got the game,I put it into my Wii and started playing,and I couldn't believe my eyes for a moment.I know that I loved Wind Waker,the graphics,the gameplay,the EVERYTHING. :) Although,I can sympathize with those who were expecting something different from the Gamecube,having been shown amazing realistic graphics,and being given the albeit kiddy,cell-shaded look that it had.

D

DanX10001

I think that WW is disliked mostly cause of the graphics many people thought it looked too childish.

But i loved the game to bits as it was the first Zelda Game i finished then i moved on to OOT.
:)

Wind Waker is my favourite too. I don't see why anyone would hate it. Cuteness never looked so badass :P And it is hell funny when link goes face first into things.

I actually love the game, I dont know why its hated that much. Its probably mainly because of the graphics.

I have and always will love Wind Waker because it was just plain epic.
I got to kill Molgera without losing a single life and I almost died 50 times trying to beat Puppet Ganon Snake form til I figured out how to beat him with bombs.

I love tWW personally... It's my second favorite Zelda game (just below Skyward Sword). I think that the cartoon Link is perfect for such a joke-filled game. And speaking seriously, tWW was really a huge leap graphically than any other Zelda game at the time. It proved that the game didn't have to look convincing to be convincing.

It's my favorite, the only persons who don't like this game are the ones that saw the graphics and didn't liked it, everyone who plays this game, loves it.

i loved the art style, but this game's set up found me generally getting lost within plces and hhaving to use tingle to make the game eaasier was also annoying cuz the cable was like 20$

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom