• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

WW-Wii U Why Do People Hate The Wind Waker?

I want to know your opions, is Wind Waker Good or Bad. Personally Wind Waker is my favourite game in the series!

Attachments

• Dark_Toon_Link_is_scary.jpg
    Dark_Toon_Link_is_scary.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 11

MW7

It's a great game- not my favorite. I don't think anyone (on this site at least) hates the game, but a lot of people prefer the other games in the series. The weak points of the game in my eyes were the dungeons. There weren't that many and they weren't of the highest quality IMO. Every other game had at least one dungeon that I thought was amazing, but I didn't love any of the ones in Wind Waker.

A second criticism I have is that the islands are way too far apart. The ocean could have been a third of the size and not have felt cramped IMO. It takes ridiculously long to travel from one edge to the other. Sailing was a great idea, but I think it wasn't implemented as well as it could be because of the distances between islands.

Finally I can't not mention the combat. The parry makes combat so easy that you don't even have to be looking at the screen to beat the most powerful enemies in the game. No other game in the series has combat this easy (including Twilight Princess which is definitely the second easiest).

The game does have many great points though- the sidequests are even more expansive than Majora's Mask (I'm just saying there's even more to do not that I prefer them) and the ocean is full of terrific islands to visit. It's about my fifth favorite Zelda game overall.

Last edited:
I don't think it's that bad. I got over the "toon-shading," but I never did care for the stubby legs style. Overall though, the game's pretty good.

I like it for how vast it is and I actually enjoyed all the sailing which was annoying for some. I was on a Zelda hiatus for a few years as well so I never experienced that let down some had by seeing a preview of a realistic Zelda one year followed by a cartoony cell shaded look the next year. The funny thing is my wife got me back into Zelda and it was with a copy Wind Waker that she owned that brought me back so I will always have positive memories of it. Though I prefer a more realistic look the animated art direction of Wind Waker is fun and entertaining. The biggest plus is that it takes the longest for 100% completion which in my book is a good thing. So while it's not my favorite it is far from being my least favorite.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
I've never really heard of people hating Wind Waker as a whole, more like complaining about things like the artstyle not being of their taste, the sailing being tedious or being to easy. So far, those points have even been mentioned here, so if you read the posts before this one, you'll probably know that already.

I think those complaints are valid actually, but not really game-ruining. MW7 has made some good points like:

A second criticism I have is that the islands are way too far apart. The ocean could have been a third of the size and not have felt cramped IMO. It takes ridiculously long to travel from one edge to the other. Sailing was a great idea, but I think it wasn't implemented as well as it could be because of the distances between islands.

While I don't completely agree, I think the islands being too far apart is definitely something that could've been worked on. I think it actually got tedious more than a few times, but I guess all the Zelda games have parts that someone will probably find tedious. That said, I also liked the sailing element and think that it's not really a game-breaker. I've seen far worse mistakes in other games including bugs, bad camera angles, broken controls, you name it. If anythinhg, I think it helped make the world's scale feel massive and I think that alone makes it a minor flaw in my eyes despite the tedious parts (like the Triforce quest, even though I thought it was a pretty good excuse to fool around).

I like it for how vast it is and I actually enjoyed all the sailing which was annoying for some. I was on a Zelda hiatus for a few years as well so I never experienced that let down some had by seeing a preview of a realistic Zelda one year followed by a cartoony cell shaded look the next year. The funny thing is my wife got me back into Zelda and it was with a copy Wind Waker that she owned that brought me back so I will always have positive memories of it. Though I prefer a more realistic look the animated art direction of Wind Waker is fun and entertaining. The biggest plus is that it takes the longest for 100% completion which in my book is a good thing. So while it's not my favorite it is far from being my least favorite.

Same here on the sailing and the artstyle, you know... maybe that's why the style never really bothered me. I was just like 7 when Wind Waker came out, after all. I wasn't aware of shows like Spaceworld or E3, let alone follow them. Not to mention I had only played Ocarina of Time (which I hadn't even finished at the time :P), which means my experience was pretty much nothing. xD

I like the fact that they change artstyle, though. I'm one of the people that supported Skyward Sword's style from the start not because it was realistsic/cartoony enough for me, but because I appreciate when Nintendo tries to think out of the box and surprise everyone. After all, the Zelda formula lends itself to changes like that, doesn't it? Like it was chameleon or something: It might change and manage to look or feel different, but deep inside, it's still familiar.

The first time I played, I get the title screen up, and I think to myself "Wow, this is the best music in the series, I love it! This is gonna be a great game." And then I found out I was wrong. I hated the game. But not for the reasons everyone else did. I thought the graphics were fun, and the sailing was really cool. I couldn't really put my finger on it till I got the Master Sword: I hated the plot. More specifically, the lack of motivation. Okay, I get it, find my sister. Sweet found her. Oh, you're kicking me out, I guess I'll just go back and get her, no big-What's this? A talking boat? What about pearls? I'm sorry Mister Boat, but why do I need to find these pearls? Because you said so? Well alrighty then.... Once I obtained the Blade of Evil's Bane, the story picked up a bit. However, it was that point when I decided I loved the game. It was then that I realized I had an entire ocean to explore, and I would just spend hours doing that. Wind Waker by far had the best gameplay in the series, and the title screen music will always put a smile on my face :)

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I have to admit I haven't played a lot of Windwaker yet. Yes, I can't say I'm a fan of the graphics - I will admit I was prejudised against it because of the overly toon feel to it (but I got over it), now the graphics only really bother me because the color contrast is so high that it kinda hurts my eyes when I'm playing it (high color contrast together with sharp turn of perspective - not very kind on at least my eyes). The same style used on the two DS games however doesn't bother me the slightest, probably because the turns aren't so sharp on them, and the color contrast isn't quite as bright. I've really enjoyed playing ST, gotten pretty far on it, too...

I will probably give WW another chance down the line, but I have to admit that other Zelda games have a higher priority to me.

There are some problems that need to be addressed in WW. First of all, the dungeons were few and weak. The best temple was the Wind Temple, which wasn't as crazy as I wanted it to be, only the best of a bad situation. Don't even get me started on the Earth temple. I love the idea of a mirror shield and always have since OoT, but that is beside the point. I will never forgive WW for what they did to Poes. Enough said. Second of all, the combat. Easiest of any Zelda game, which is ashame because WW did have most of my favorite enemies. I love how the Wizrobes summoned other enemies to fight you. Again, the only problem is that that doesn't matter because you can wipe through any amount of enemies using parry.

Through these faults shines some amazing achievements. The side quests were in-depth and tricky. The mini-quests were fun. The triforce quest almost screams out to you to slow down and just explore, and that's the greatest part of Zelda games for me. The ocean provided a vast array of islands filled with enemies, puzzles and life. Not to mention that the music 100% complemented the art style. In conclusion, WW should have spent a lot more time on dungeons and combat, but it's enormity in scale and gameplay make it a Zelda worth playing. Definitely in my top five Zelda games somewhere.

i think it's ok but It doesn't feel like a typical zelda game, that makes me like it less. i think it feels like a gamecube game more that a zelda game. what i mean is if you've ever noticed all game cube games, except for a few, have the same feel to them very childish not EPIC like Ocarina of Time. The game itself isn't bad I just don't understand why it is most people favorite legend of zelda game? can anyone tell me why?

M

Mindagirl22

Honestly, I love the game, but I think the reason why SOME people don't like it is because the graphics were different from the previous titles.
<(*_*)>

THEM

Your cows are mine!
Definitely not my favorite game. I really liked the dungeons and the story, but the Great Sea was such a pain in the butt that it just about ruined the game for me. I think other reasons people don't like it is because of the graphics-which were fine-or that it was too easy. It was a little too easy in my opinion. I don't think that I saw the game over screen until my friend played it and got himself killed.

A

aquizero

unfortunately i only was able to play this game for about 2 hours, once. i really need to pick it up to play on my wii. i absolutely love the art style. from what i read about the game that is one of the most hated things. some find it way too simple and kid-like. well that and the never ending ocean. again, i really want to pick this up.

I definitely have never hated Wind Waker, but it is far from being my favorite. The story felt fairly thin and uninteresting, and it gets a little hard to play, what with all the fetch quests for characters I don't care about. That rant aside, it's still a great game.

The people I run into that DO hate it generally just hate on the art style.

Big Octo

=^)
I'll be the first to step up and say that it's my favorite game of the series. Contrary to other beliefs, I fond the art style perfect for the game, it went with the overall setting and feeling of the experience. For me, the Great Sea was a lot more open compared to what some others think. Why, the sailing felt no longer than traversing overwords of previous titles. I loved the music, and the gameplay also gave it high replay value. So far, nothing's dethroned it from #1 on my list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom