• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Why Do People Find the Shadow Temple Difficult?

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
I think the psychological effect of the temple's atmosphere is the major reason that people would find it difficult. The traps and challenges aren't harder than the traps and challenges in other dungeons, but they LOOK harder. Skulls on pikes, the skeletal paintings talking to you from the moment you walk in, all the invisible platforms that make you double guess yourself, afraid you've missed something, it can really play with a first time player's head.

Personally, I went in thinking it would be hard, mostly because I HATE redeads with a passion, I came out loving the dungeon. There were places where I could not tell where I really was or where I was going due to a combination of darkness and lens of truth illusions.

For younger players though, I think the fear factor is definitely the main thing that makes the dungeon difficult.

donkey kong

Juicy pants.
I think the psychological effect of the temple's atmosphere is the major reason that people would find it difficult. The traps and challenges aren't harder than the traps and challenges in other dungeons, but they LOOK harder. Skulls on pikes, the skeletal paintings talking to you from the moment you walk in, all the invisible platforms that make you double guess yourself, afraid you've missed something, it can really play with a first time player's head.

Personally, I went in thinking it would be hard, mostly because I HATE redeads with a passion, I came out loving the dungeon. There were places where I could not tell where I really was or where I was going due to a combination of darkness and lens of truth illusions.

For younger players though, I think the fear factor is definitely the main thing that makes the dungeon difficult.

I understand what you mean. Plus I always forget that most people played this game when they were really young. Like age 4, while I played it when I was 12.
But however age does not affect ones skill. One example is I beat Donkey Kong Country by myself when I was 5.

Mikepoke101

Just Chilling.
I find for one of the last temples in the game it is a bit to easy. I have never found it difficult because it is very linear, quite short, and The enemies are easy and there is very few of them. Alot of people find Bongo Bongo to be one of, if not, the hardest boss in the game and I dissagree. By the time you get to him (excluding 3-heart challenge) you already have alot of health which makes for a boss who does only a fair amount of damage to be a bit of a push over. I am not saying the temple is bad or is the worst temple. Just abit too easy for my liking.

donkey kong

Juicy pants.
I find for one of the last temples in the game it is a bit to easy. I have never found it difficult because it is very linear, quite short, and The enemies are easy and there is very few of them. Alot of people find Bongo Bongo to be one of, if not, the hardest boss in the game and I dissagree. By the time you get to him (excluding 3-heart challenge) you already have alot of health which makes for a boss who does only a fair amount of damage to be a bit of a push over. I am not saying the temple is bad or is the worst temple. Just abit too easy for my liking.

I agree with you on everything especially bongo bongo. He was way to easy even with the master sword. I just find it hard to believe that people find him hard unless they are doing a 3 heart challenge like you said.

Maikeru

Piper of Time
People find certain areas or bosses easier than others do. I had some trouble with Bongo Bongo, but beat Dark Link, Morpha and Phantom Ganon easily for instance.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I did not have real difficulty with the Shadow Temple, but I did find it rather creepy/scary, which made me too intimidated to progress quickly. My biggest difficulty was a lack of courage, and not the temple itself.

However, I can imagine someone having difficulty figuring out when to use the Lens of Truth, or running out of magic power for it if they don't have the extended Magic Meter. I could also imagine someone getting caught by that Wallmaster, or being pushed off of some areas by a Stalfos.

Outside of that, I don't really see the Shadow Temple as hard. It's just the mood that makes it difficult, along with some magic power and Lens of Truth issues.

Austin

Austin
As many others have said, it was mainly the frightening atmosphere of the temple that intimidated many players, myself included. It takes itself very seriously, and as such, the player is inclined to as well. However, I also consider the Shadow Temple to be one of the more difficult temples in the game, even if you were to remove its atmosphere. It was more combat based than puzzle based, and combat is not an area that I really excel in, at least when it comes to the Zelda franchise. I understand that several other people on this forum share my feelings when it comes to this.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I haven't gotten that far in Master Quest as of yet, so I cannot account for that, but otherwise, I've always found it to be pretty easy. Pretty sure I beat it in like an hour and a half my first time playing it (and this was without a guide). For me, the hardest part is Bongo Bongo, and even he isn't all that hard if you know what you're doing.
I never really found the Shadow Temple to be all that creepy/scary. Frankly, I always found the Forest Temple to be creepier.

Conor

the over analysing guy
I understand what you mean. Plus I always forget that most people played this game when they were really young. Like age 4, while I played it when I was 12.
But however age does not affect ones skill. One example is I beat Donkey Kong Country by myself when I was 5.
I think you'll find age does affect one's skill, normally coming back to something you found difficult as a child makes it much easier, also, if you're really young your thumbs might not be long enough to get everything done...as I found out playing mario party 2 with my younger cousins.

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
The Shadow Temple wasn't really that difficult. Honestly, the hardest part was remembering to flip on the Lens of Truth whenever it seems as though nothing is there. I think that is what a lot of people see as hard; they walk into a room, they think it's safe, then they get mauled by some invisible enemy.

Now, Bongo Bongo, for some reason, was easy on my first go, but hard on my second run-through, and obviously harder on my 3-heart run. There's maybe a few traps that require a bit of thinking to get out of, but aside from that, as everybody says, it's pretty straight forward.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I mostly had trouble with the fans, directing where to "float" with the Hover Boots, while at the same point you have limited time to get across. And the ship also gave me trouble, for the same reason as above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom