• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why do people find Ilia annoying?

I don't understand, a lot of people would bash Ilia. The Midlink fans seem to bash her because they want Link to be with Midna, some people are holding a grudge against her for her being a brat to Link about Epona's wound, and also because she was amnesiac.

She's a minor character, I don't understand why somebody would bash a character who has a very very small part in a game. She was underdeveloped and inconsistent but she didn't do anything wrong except for insulting Link and Bo at the beginning about Epona's little wound. She's an okay character, I was mad at her for biotching Link and Bo but that was just the one scene, then she got amnesiac. I don't understand why people hate her passionately.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
She is supposed to be a major motivating factor for link to save Hyrule. The fact that she was not in the game enough and that she came across as dislikeable or too minor is a problem with the way the character was written and portrayed. That is why she is so disliked.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
I think she's so disliked due to the fact that she should have played a bigger role in the story, and I feel like a lot of people were disappointed by her.

And then you compare her to the likes of Midna, who has rich character development, and unfortunately Ilia falls short of that.

ray138

a Mid-West Monster of the Highest Grade
It's been years since I played TP, but I remember being disappointed when she suddenly seemed to disappear from the game. I thought there would be more story development between her and Link and that she would end up playing a bigger role by the end of the game.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
It's interesting how the plot seems to forget about Illia, wipe her memories which literally robs her of all agency and turns her into a simple macguffin to be obtained (because Link needs her to remember something important, it's not Illia Link needs to obtain so much as her memory) and is then promptly done with her for the rest of the game.

She has no growth, no agency, and contributes nothing to the plot. The little bit we do get of her she is portrayed as a temperamental stand-offish brat throwing some sort of self assumed authority around. She never does anything likable. It might just be a poor attempt at making her seem confident, but it just comes off making her look like a nag.

There are a lot of things in Twilight Princess that seem unfinished and Ilia is certainly one of them. It's almost like they started writing her to either be a more complex character with a side of her that would be more likable, or a character who starts off unlikable and becomes more palatable as the game goes on like Groose and Midna. But for whatever reason they stopped developing her, and instead of removing her from the game they just kinda reduced her into a object and left in the annoying bits.

Or maybe she's only around to fulfill the law of cliche tropes that states that all young male protagonists must have a girl-next-door-friend.

She is supposed to be a major motivating factor for link to save Hyrule.

She is one of the major motivating factors for Link to save Hyrule, only because she is part of the group of kids that get Liam Neeson Taken at the beginning of the game.

I find it interesting that there's never really anything to suggest that Ilia and Link even like each other.

Because she is. She just isn't a good character, though none of the kids Link has to save are. Cept Malo because he is funny and manages to open the Hyrule version of Walmart.

Because she is. She just isn't a good character, though none of the kids Link has to save are. Cept Malo because he is funny and manages to open the Hyrule version of Walmart.

But you didn't say your reason as to why she isn't a good character. Malo was kind of a brat to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom