• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Do People Dislike Phantom Hourglass?

David

But you called me here...
Phantom Hourglass was a pretty decent game, if you don't look at it as a Zelda game. Compared to some of the DS games that I've played, it was a pretty good game. Sadly, when compared to other Zelda titles, it didn't cut it for me. I'm too used to OoT, ALttP, MM, and the other main console games.

I wouldn't say that I cried into my pillow for 5 nights straight... I enjoyed the game. It has some really interesting things going on.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I don't understand why people dislike it as much as they do. I can understand why some people were unhappy with it; as a sequel to the WW, it should have been just as good at the least. Unfortunately, that is not the case. But going so far as to call it an epic failure is going so far as to go a little too far. It was still a great game with many intresting aspects and dungeons and the like.

I dislike any game that makes an ending boss battle more difficult than it has to be. 1) They could have explained how to draw the hourglass in the final boss fight a little better. I had to search the web just to find out HOW to draw the dang thing. 2) Trying to defeat that friggin eyeball ship at the end. No matter how many times I tried I kept dying, until I finally just gave up. Making a boss fight overly difficult does not make it fun or challenging for me, it just wrecks the game.

Last edited:

navi_the_fairy

Spirit of the Forest
It wasn't a TERRIBLE game, it was just too easy. That's the first time I haven't really been challenged by a Zelda game. However, I don't think it was a complete failure. I liked the sidequests and the fairy power-ups.

MidnaOfTheTwili

Link x Zelda
It's not that I don't like Phantom Hourglass, I do like it, but I think Spirit Tracks was a lot better.
Things that bothered me in PH:
-Temple of the Ocean King. By far the most irritating thing I've ever come across in all the Zelda games I have played. DRIVES ME CRAZY.
-It bores me. I don't think it's one of the more interesting Zelda games. But maybe that's just because I played ST beforehand, and so I learned and enjoyed the style of ST before going into PH. So then, PH was nothing new to me.
-Linebeck. Selfish characters bother me.

I'm not done with PH yet though, I'm still collecting the pure metals. But I'm just listing the things that have annoyed me so far.

D

Demon Link

The controls are what got me.I lost my stylus, so it was even more hard with a broken pencil.:lol:

To me the stylus control is a bit forced. I probably would have enjoyed it a lot more with the ordinary controls. Fair play for trying something different though.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
It wasn't a failure, but it's one of the lower ones on the Zelda list. Nevertheless, it's still a good game. Just not a great one. Especially in Zelda terms. (Also, you have to take into account that it came out when the original DS was all there was. The small screen and its calibration problem played a huge roll in the frustration of the game. Luckily for me, I played it on my friend's DSi.)

I'd say Spirit Tracks redeemed the DS Zelda style, though. (Love that game.)

Shadow Lord

Pinky Pie the Gypsy Bard!
I think Phantom Hourglass was unique in controls, but we thought it would at least be a very good game but the story and just naturally a dissapointment. My opinion is that this is a huge dissapointing game. Sorry

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
Everyone could have different opinions (as always). I actully did like it. But I can not love it. My problem is the steamboat. I do not like the concept of it. I had played Wind Waker beforehand and compared to the sailing the "steamboating" was boring and dull. But apart from that it is a very nice game :) (like I have said before: it is a Zelda for Christ sake).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom