• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Do People Dislike Phantom Hourglass?

Kybyrian

The next reason was that Nintendo tried to make the game revolve around the stylus and touch screen too much in my opinion. Sure, it's cool that the DS has a touch screen, but I don't want to use it every second that I am playing the game. People will probably complain about the fact I think they tried to base the game way to much around the stylus, but I think it made the game gimmicky (If that is the right word to use).

I didn't really mention this in my post, and I think you have a point. I believe that since it was the first DS Zelda game Nintendo wanted to actually use the stylus to the fullest advantage. The thing is that they went a little too far with this and put in so many parts where you had to use the stylus that it was almost unbelievable. There's a lot you can do with the stylus, of course, but if you're overusing it, it's not so good. They wanted to make sure it had a use, but forgot about the other controls in the process.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
Alright. I suppose I'll finally vent on the subject. I apologize in advance to people who enjoyed PH.
Warning: Wall of angry text.

One of the things that really irked me about Phantom Hourglass was its difficulty (or lack thereof). The puzzles were simple, but they reinforced their simplicity with an increased ability for you to find information in your surroundings, to a level that I personally found unnecessary and resulting in an overall transparency in the puzzles. It felt like I knew what I was supposed to do and when the entire game. I feel this detracts from the in-game atmosphere's immersion; in a real adventure, (or life, for that matter) you often have very little idea what you're doing and how you're going to do it. This is why when you succeed over these challenges, in real life or in-game, you feel a sense of accomplishment. I felt there was little of this in Phantom Hourglass.

I was initially brought in by the fact that they resurrected the exploration aspect from WW, but they defeated the purpose of it by blocking off certain areas. The whole point of WW was exploration and discovery, being given a boat and then the whole world becoming your oyster; in Phantom Hourglass, you're given a boat with the same expectation of exploration, but you're restricted by quadrants that aren't unlocked until later in the game. They removed the entire aspect of non-linearity that made me enjoy WW's overworld. On the notion of overworlds in general, Phantom Hourglass had little to none of an overworld. All of the overworld was the same enemies, over and over again, except without the possibility of discovery that was apparent in WW. What's worse is that they reduced the number of things to find in the game by having almost no weapon or item upgrades, and cutting the number of heart pieces by 75%. Not only was the overworld bland and repetitive, it was also empty. Even the non-quest based areas that taunted you with the possibility of containing something were also empty; it was just putting salt in the wound.

One problem that I felt was a plague on PH was the stylus controls. For the items, they worked great; but for the swordplay? The controls were set up such that your dodge and attack buttons were the same thing, making it impossible to be ready to dodge whenever the need arose. This could have been easily fixed by controlling Link's movement with the D-pad and making swordplay and weapons controlled by the stylus, which would have optimized both routes, yet this route was never taken.
I didn't exactly have any difficulty using these controls, it's just that I think they could have been designed to be more complex. And with more complex design, they could have made bosses more complex because the player has more complex movement options. It felt to me in the DS games that you couldn't really dodge and attack, and you could only do one or the other. You could sit there and wave your sword around in a spastic fashion, or you could run. As a result, I felt this really limited the game play. There was no bobbing and weaving fluidly in and out of combat like the kind present in any of the other 2D Zelda games, which limited almost every boss fight in PH to the exact same formula.
Because of the limiting controls, I thought the dungeons in PH were ultimately far too similar and repetitive. The lack of variety and fluidity in actions has a direct and blatant effect on the dungeons themselves. There is also an absence of "large" puzzles which are felt throughout the whole dungeon, for which the Zelda series has become famous. Let's take, for example, the water-based puzzles in Jabu-Jabu's Belly in OoA, or the whole thing with breaking the pillars in Eagle's Tower in LA. There aren't many of these puzzles in Phantom Hourglass, and each dungeon only seems to have one, maybe two things that separate them from other dungeons in the game, aside from enemies. One of the dungeons in PH separated itself by having rolling spiky poles, and the ice dungeon, had -- well, ice. But there are more or less the same puzzles in every dungeon, even with new items.

And drawing the shapes? What started out as an interesting novelty became the developer's crutch to rest on to cover up every other shoddily-designed game play aspect and subsequent lack of difficulty. Rather than use what I've learned from the rest of the game, use new items, skills, or knowledge, you'd rather I draw an eight? That's just downright frustrating and gimmicky; the final boss would have been obnoxiously easy if it weren't for drawing the hourglass. It really frustrates me that they would rather utilize a gimmicky mechanism to create the illusion of difficulty en lieu of actual game play mechanics that have been tried and true for nigh 20 years. Unfortunately, they decided to jettison half of those game play mechanics upon conceiving PH. :mad:

To make another successful hand-held Zelda (in my eyes) they really need to look at the formulas of their past hand-held successes --the Oracle games, Link's Awakening --that is the sort of progress that needs to be expanded on, not tossed away and instead starting from scratch just because new technology is available.

Last edited:

Poe

ᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴅɪsᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs
I actually quite liked the game but it had the type of gameplay which I was getting into at the time, namely puzzles and the like.

Going on annoying points though, the Ocean temple could be a pain at times unless you knew exactly what you were doing and where you wanted to go preferably before stepping a foot in there.
A few of the puzzles could also get rather infuriating if you kept overlooking the answer, one stands out in my mind which stumped me for weeks for said reason, some of them seemed a little unnecessary at times.
Likewise, some people didn't like the method of controls by the stylus and I do have to admit that the lack of an alternate method did annoy me at the time.

Thinking back on it, the game did seem a little short too.

Link Master

The Hero's Master
I think most people hated it because of the Temple of the Ocean King I don't see why probably because you were timed and you had to go through all the floors you went through. I actually liked it because it was hard and I love challenges.
Also the controls were a little hard and strange more specifically rolling because it took a little while to get use to usually you would be either rolling off the edge or not rolling at all, at least for me.

Eduarda

Srishti is annie is eduarda right?
PH is a nice game in my opinion. My sister's favorite game is PH, and she is 8. She has played it millions of times. That is the good part. Younger children could be invited to the zelda series and play with ease. I really like that part about PH. To me, it was easy, but the best part was that I did not have to look at the walk through :lol: I'm not used to challenging games, so I need the walk through for basically all of TP. PH was a relive from the walk though. Younger children could also play PH without needing too much help too.

tetrafan

Zelda Fan Girl
Phantom Hourglass is a good game. Linebeck is a great character the controls are good,The last boss battle is excellant. I enjoy it more then Spirit tracks i would much rather have the boat over the train any day.

AwesomeLink86

Link is awesome!!
I loved PH, it exceeded my expectations. I personally liked the idea of the re visitable dungeon and play controls actually felt very comfortable. Where as the story is nothing to rave about, I did find myself engrossed and engaged in it. I like the ship on this better than that of WW because you can preplot your course and shoot enemies with a cannon while the ship guides you. You couldn't do this on the WW. It may not have been that hard a game, but I never felt it was "too easy" that you couldn't enjoy it.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Only one reason, for me.

The Temple of the Ocean King. I created a whole thread where I whined, complained, and ranted for five paragraphs about how hard it was. The last section of it (the one before you go to Mutoh's Temple) took me 5 or 6 months to beat. It indirectly contributed to me breaking my DS Lite, because I was so frustrated when I lost in that area, that I tried to close it the wrong way and snapped it in two. I'm absolutely horrible with sneaking puzzles and time limits, especially if you trip me up with dungeon puzzles as well. Not being able to save after every few floors keeps me freaked out, too.

The game itself is great, however. I enjoy the sea battles, looking for ship parts, and the minigames. The dungeons themselves were fairly short (except for the mercilessly long ToTOK), but the puzzles took a bit of thought. The bosses, however, were quite innovative and difficult. I really had to think about how to beat them.

I think the game is mostly hated because it's too hard, not too easy. It seems like it SHOULD be easy, but it's frustratingly hard because it does things in a completely different way than Zelda usually does them. That is what's so infuriating about it.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Probably because of the TotOK, as it was repetitive, as the difficulty of the other dungeons and in between as well. A bit too easy. But people like the game, maybe just not compared to other Zeldas.

Shadow Lord

Pinky Pie the Gypsy Bard!
Worst Zelda Game Ever

I don't know how they made a bad Zelda game.:huh:
But you must admit the Phantom Hourglass made us cry into our pillows for 5 days straight.:(
It was an EPIC FAILURE.:mad:

tecknokid900

All Hail Yhtomit!
I wouldn't know, I've never played PH. I do know a game which I think is pretty bad is the four swords Adventure for the game boy, man you have to have four game boys, 3 link cables and four game paks just to play it.

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
I do not understand your frustration, good sir. I found Phantom Hourglass to be rather riveting. A tale with a grand story that captivated my very essence in a way such as a fine glass of imported aged wine made from the finest of grapes this world has to offer would. I also quite enjoyed all of the plentiful festivities that the little newfangled entertainment medium provided an opportunity for me to join in on the merry shenanigans as if I were back in my youth, if I do say so myself. [/buzzkillingtonimpression]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom