• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why do people believe that the entire timeline was made up at the last second?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I feel that people are less upset about the actual placement of the games on the timeline than the fact that the official timeline killed the timeline theories that used to dominate Zelda discussions on various forums.

Aside from that, the major complaint I have seen is people claiming the downfall timeline was a cop-out on Nintendo's part as most people assumed only the Child and Adult Timelines existed prior to the release of the Hyrule Historia.

Exactly. The Official Zelda Timeline killed off timeline theories. Prior to it, a big draw to Zelda theorizing was making timeline theories. With an official timeline established, that type of theorizing became pointless (except for headcanon theorists). I remember people saying that Zelda theorizing died. For awhile it did lose popularity, atleast on this Forum it did for awhile.

However, sometimes I think what really happened was having an official timeline to agree on leveled the playing feild, and weeded out the decent theorists from the ones who really had no idea what they were talking about. There is no longer any hiding behind having a different version of the timeline. Ultimately what most theories came down to back then was a debate on each person's timeline theory, and I always felt it majorly took away from the main topic that was supposed to be discussed. Plus, having a different timeline theory could be flexible, so theorists used to be able to stretch certain theories by working their timeline theory to fit them. Now there is a solid framework to refer to, so one really must know what they are talking about to be a Zelda theorist. And to an extent, a decent theorist can be more spot on with theories, if they know what they are doing.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
The creators pretty much admitted they only made an official timeline because of the 25th anniversary and with it the release of the Hyrule Historia. They were trying to please fans and they connected the games which while definitely connected in some ways, were definitely not supposed to fit together neatly like your average franchise with a bunch of sequels.

Hero of Pizza Time

Pizza Parker
Many people think that it was made up at the last second because of all of the sudden changes (which sometimes contradicted the current official timeline) that were made to the story before Hyrule Historia's release. The Angry Video Game Nerd pointed out that in an issue of Nintendo Power, Shigeru Miyamoto said that A Link to the Past actually takes place after the original two NES games. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHIP9UtkQDQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom