• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Do Parents Let Kids Play M Games?

WechyPichu

is hiding behind 7 froxie
Now, I'm not talking 14-16. I'm talking 2-13 Why, parents? Why be so stupid to let young kids play rated M games!? Are you an IDIOT!? Thats ********! THERE IS A REASON ITS RATED M! If your kid gets teased because of it, DEAL WITH IT. I get bullied every day for not playing "Call of duty" Or "Halo". I mean really! Why would you let a 3 year old play SKYRIM or HALO!? O-o Discuss.

Because many parents are stupid and just don't care. I work retail, and I see little kids come in with their parents to buy M-rated games all the time. It's ridiculous.

I have a 7 and 8 year old and they're not allowed to play M rated games - they are also not allowed on the comp without my supervision, and they are not allowed to have a facebook acct as well (age limit for that is 13). I know alot of parents that allow their kids to do both, but I am not going to raise my kids that way :)

MW7

Parents can do what they want, and giving kids the games they ask for is an easy way to keep them happy and occupied (so that's why this happens). I agree that it's not a good idea to do this. I think the worst part of kids playing Call of Duty or Halo is the online play. I'm sorry that you get bullied, but it's great that you respect your parents' decisions regarding what games you can play.

I do find it pretty odd how many kids play these games. There are so many great games that are E for Everyone (or T for Teen) that they could be playing and having a blast. Not being able to play some games isn't really a big deal at all IMO.

The very first M game I played was when I was about 11. And that was ONLT of my dad was there to watchme, volume was off, and it was Halo 3. So blood was covered. I think the reason is that the parents don't think about the repercussions of letting their children play these types of games! I get that it's dumb and I KNOW THAT! Only at 14 too. However, I think 14+ should be the only appropriate age for M games. Games like Prototype with all the blood and gore and all the violence really desensitizes young children from what the world is actually like. 12-13 I will have NO ISSUES with T rated games and some less inappropriate M games. And 14+ I would call an adult. M to an extent. Once you move out, buy anything you want!

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I can't answer any of those questions directly as I don't know why parents do it, but I played Killer Instinct Gold back when I was around 3 years old (I still remember sitting in front of that box TV). Nothing bad has happened to me, and I don't think my dad made a stupid decision at all.

donpedrox

Thrilla in Manilla
Well there's the get out easy parent who wants their kid to shut up then there's the educated parent I've actually done research on this issue on several occasions and written papers about it. In my studies I found that there is no significant evidence that playing M rated games filled with violence and such have any adverse effects on children of that age. While I agree that some children are not mature enough to handle M rated games due to nudity and such I just don't see what the problem is with them playing a violent game if they know the difference between right and wrong, reality and the virtual world.

TriforceHunter

Forever I am Abandoned
I'm not gonna lie, my mother did not care -- I had Mortal Kombat 2 and Killer Instinct on SNES when I was like 5-- and in a good way I'm glad, glad because my mother never hid away the real world to me and I know that when I have children I will let them play M rated games, watch R rated movies, Etc because I'd rather show them how the world actually is and not hide it away from them where they will just find out on their own and rebel to anything. It is also important that the infant learns the concept between the "real world" and the "entertainment world."

donpedrox

Thrilla in Manilla
I'm not gonna lie, my mother did not care -- I had Mortal Kombat 2 and Killer Instinct on SNES when I was like 5-- and in a good way I'm glad, glad because my mother never hid away the real world to me and I know that when I have children I will let them play M rated games, watch R rated movies, Etc because I'd rather show them how the world actually is and not hide it away from them where they will just find out on their own and rebel to anything. It is also important that the infant learns the concept between the "real world" and the "entertainment world."

Ah but there's a big flaw with your logic there. Sure R rated movies and M rated video games will show blood and violence and show the child that if someone stabs you you will bleed and not just fall over or something. However Hollywood and many video game designers are very dramatic. I mean in what realm is it possible to rip someones head off with their spine intact? It is your responsibility as the parent to make sure your child understands these things if you let them be exposed to these things.

Kid Buu

The Ultimate Majin
Because some parents are morons. If the kids are taught not to do anything in those games in real life, then they should be fine. But most parents won't. I've been playing M games since I was like, IDK 9..? I'm not mentally messed up. If I am, it's not because of violent video games.

I think it is disinformation, many people is not even aware about the ESBR or their regional equivalent. Videogames have evolved so much in such a little time that while growing generations feel easy to follow older ones missed it. Depending if the parent pays attention to what the kid does or not may get scandalized afterwards or may just never know... different parents, different reasons.

TriforceHunter said:
I know that when I have children I will let them play M rated games, watch R rated movies, Etc because I'd rather show them how the world actually is and not hide it away from them where they will just find out on their own and rebel to anything. It is also important that the infant learns the concept between the "real world" and the "entertainment world."
Ah but there's a big flaw with your logic there. Sure R rated movies and M rated video games will show blood and violence and show the child that if someone stabs you you will bleed and not just fall over or something. However Hollywood and many video game designers are very dramatic. I mean in what realm is it possible to rip someones head off with their spine intact? It is your responsibility as the parent to make sure your child understands these things if you let them be exposed to these things.
Exactly why it is important the parent do explain this kind of things as the kid is being exposed. Which I suppose is what TriforceHunter will do with heir kids. The dramatization is part of the fantasy. I can see where he is coming from and I kind of agree however...

I still think it is good to keep them in their age and let them enjoy their own times, they will be exposed eventually and they will want to know, and they will mature, you have to know your child and decide then. Kids are different some take it good some are just not ready, there is no way to predict it. I was the kid that wanted toys outside the room since watching the first movie of 'Chucky'.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I believe it depends on the maturity of the child. Parents should know if their kid can handle them and be appropriate about it. If there are kids that think you need to play a certain game to be "cool", their misunderstanding the entire concept. Games are played to be fun, not to set a social convention at such ages.

its because they just don't care and its easier to make them happy to give them what they want. Its stupid really. I don't have kid yet myself, but I know if I had a kid younger than the age that would be appropriate to play rated M games, I wouldn't. I wouldn't want them exposed to that stuff till I gave the approval for them to play the game. I've seen what it does to kids. My 13 yr old nephew is into the violence games an has been since he was 11 and he tends to act out worse after playing those games.

Personally if/when i have children i would be happy for them to play any older rating game as long as:

they were around 14+ years old
they understood it was just a game and not to take it to the real world
It didnt contain any sexual content (until they were old enough to understand it)
Didnt have horror stuff that would scare them

Though the change in game graphic quality may make a bit hard to judge how bad the game could be if i seen it was having a negative effect on my children i would prevent them from playing them at all...tho tbh platforming games such as Mario are the best :P and its what they will be getting :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom