• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Adventure of Link Why Do Most People Dislike Zelda II?

Lamentizer

Skeleton Of The Darkness
I think a lot of people dislike the game because of the side-scroll. But if you think back almost 25 years ago, there were only two Zelda's released. Zelda I,which was a top-view, and Zelda II, which was a side-scroller. Most people thought that the sequel would be like the first, a top-view. When people played Zelda II and saw who difficult the game was, they started to hate it. And not to mention the death deal. In the first game, you die in the overworld and you begin again at the start screen, you die in a dungeon and you start at the beginning of the dungeon. But in Zelda II, you die in the overworld or dungeon you start at the Castle every time, and and your Experience Points are reset. The game may be a little challenging, but I think it's a pretty good game.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
Probably just because of its higher difficulty level. I personally like Zelda II. It was challenging and had many hair-pulling moments, but it was fun.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Why I dislike it? Because I can't get anywhere without dying almost immediately. I'm not a bad player, I can usually hold my own in a game, both in the 2D and the 3D worlds, however this game just never even lets me get started because the enemies are impossibly difficult already at the very beginning. There's no defense, no way to attack without being injured and before you know it you're back at the very start of the game and have to make your way back and try again.

The sad thing? When I checked out images of the game's level design, I actually thought this would be a game that I would like. Because I'm generally pretty good on sideway scrolling games.

Challenge is usually a good thing, but when you cannot even get properly into a game before dying and having to go all the way back to the beginning, then you just don't get a chance to like the game before you're so frustrated and angry with it that you just want to chuck it and the console across the room and leave it there...

I think it's the difficulty that turns most people away. There are so many areas in this game that can completely stump you to the point where you just stop playing it.

For example:

You have to randomly find a guy in the woods who gives you a note to show to the river man who will extend the bridge for you. Without this, you cannot proceed through the game.

In order to find the island palace, you have to walk due south through the perilous graveyard and randomly fall into a cave.

In the fifth palace, you have to randomly walk straight into a wall which looks like a dead end.

Then there's the final palace. This has numerous different walls that you magically walk through, including one area where you have to clear a small object and then fall through the floor.

There are many more examples just like these. Translation = this game is difficult.

I personally love this game. As a kid growing up in Seattle, I could call the Nintendo game play counselors toll-free to ask for advice. Also, I had the two issues of Nintendo Power magazine that provided a walk-through for the first 5 or 6 palaces. There are also a few tricks you need to learn along the way - such as, save all the 1-ups until you are ready for the very last palace. And, you need to find out which enemies are the easiest and best source for leveling up fast. Once you have these things down pat, the game isn't terribly hard.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
It really isn't the difficulty...it's the punishment. It's like doing your homework with a very strict British tutor who will slap you if with a ruler if you forgot to show even part of your work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom