• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Did You Start Zelda, and Why Do You Still Play?

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Well I never thought of The Legend of Zelda as anything special when I was younger. It was just another game. But then again, I was like 4 or 5. As time went on I was still kind of ignorant to video games and didn't really know that other Zelda games existed. So the 64 era slips both my brother and I with no Zelda. My brother being way older was well aware of Zelda, but we weren't really fans of Zelda. And it was also really hard to keep up with games back then. So enter Gamecube. We see the Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker at E3 and it looks amazing. The art style, the massiveness, Link's face hinting towards where you should go, etc. We're sold. So my brother pre-orders it and gets a free Ocarina of Time/The Master Quest and of course me still being fairly young watches him pass it. It was an amazing experience. The music, the story, the adventure, everything. That's when I knew The Legend of Zelda was a big deal.

My first Zelda game was The Minish Cap though. I got to know and love Zelda through my brother who loves it just as much as we do. But I didn't have any system but the GBA. But as I grew older and more aware, I started getting my own systems and buying my own games. I was still ignorant in the Gamecube era because when I got my very own Gamecube, I didn't think to even buy Wind Waker because my brother had it. So enter Twilight Princess, I get my own copy for Christmas because I asked for it and because I now realized my brother isn't going to be with me forever. So I started hunting for games that I could of almost missed out on and boy did I stock up.

But the thing that ultimately has me coming back to Zelda after all these years is the series on it's own. Each game always has to offer quality. I see each Zelda game as a work of art. They each have their own unique style, memorable and enjoyable music that really brings out the atmosphere, solid gameplay with newly added elements/themes, massive beautiful world to explore, and of course who could forget all the nostalgia each game offers. Each game keeps bringing you back to an older one and just makes you wonder if there's some sort of connection. The Legend of Zelda is a game that has you thinking and wondering about it even when you're not playing it. And that's what makes it so great. It has you coming back for more. I'm a very hardcore gamer and The Legend of Zelda feeds my hunger for good games with quality. The Legend of Zelda is much more then just some game. And I think the fact that we're all here on this forum dedicated to one of video game's greatest achievement proves it.

S

starcaster

Well, my cousin was about 7 or 8 at the time and I was just 4, he had been playing on his then old N64 and I had just shown up, being so young I payee little attention to the series until I turned 8 and my mother got her way by getting a Wii. About a month into owning the device we decided to pick up Zelda Twilight Princess. Not realising the vast expanse of the Internet and it's multiple video game guides, the 8 year old me failed to get halfway through the second dungeon, and promptly let the game gather dust. After becoming skilled with computers I fooled around with emulators and played some of the 2D zeldas. A month ago I picked up a 3DS and OOT 3D, and found it to be an exceptional game, Whig I still play today!

Junehs

[the.Jumping.Bean] ~
When I was 3, my brother and my dad ALWAYS played and I was pretty much influenced by my brother. I wanted to be just like him. I eventually grabbed a controller (and held it upside down lol...) and played the N64 OOT. It was the first Zelda game I had ever played. My brother got frustrated whenever I messed up xD I do remember a year later, I attempted Majora's Mask and got stuck in the Deku Palace. D'oh.

Now I'm part of the average addicted Zelda player who has the gameplay memorized by heart. Almost to the point where I know word from word of what they say in some scenarios.

I cried at the end of Spirit Tracks. I found that if I continued playing Zelda I would relive beautiful moments like that over and over again.

Linkyme

Call me Coco :3
My best friend introduced me to Twilight Princess. I was hooked as soon as I figured out I got to be a FREAKING WOLF!!!! it was so awesome...so then i got ST, PH, WW, OoT...and I have loved it since.

For christmas 2007, I asked for a DS. On christmas day, I unwrapped it, and it was a golden DS lite with a triforce on it, packaged with Phantom Hourglass. I played through it with the help of my brother and loved it. I have fond memories of that title. The reason I still play it, you ask? lets see, music, gameplay, story, characters, difficulty, and everything in between.

I was brainwashed into it. My dad and older brother played a lot of ALttP when I was little and when OoT came out I tried to play it myself. But it was mostly running around in Kokiri Forest and otherwise I just watched as my siblings played. I grew up some more, learned to play and started to love the series more than before.

I still play it because I enjoy it. I love the themes, how each game has its own, unique theme around which the game is built. (I could write a pretty lengthy analysis-bordering-on-rant about TP and the excellent choice to have a Twili as a sidekick, but I won't, no one would read such things. And I'm pretty sure someone has written about that.) I love how each game makes you think about the themes, story, characters and always leaves room for your theories. I love the gameplay, unique (weird) characters, overworlds and even the fact that there isn't ridiculous amount of blood being spilled.

Strangelove

Somewhere
Well, when I was young and the Gameboy colour was new, I had his friend, neighbour, and he'd lend me his games. So then he lent me Oos, and then said I could keep it. I just sort of got into Zelda from there when I recognised the name.

LordFire

King of Fire
You see, it all started long ago.
I believe I was 5, 6, or 7 when I first opened up that Ocarina of Time cartridge and slammed it into my Nintendo 64. As it whirred to life I was caught by the graphics and wonderful music in the game. The story itself hooked me, a tale right out of a book it seemed. The knight saving the princess and defeating the evil wizard, a classic story. The whole evil prevails over good thing really caught my attention.

As I grew older, the Zelda franchise was really a fun series. It wasn't too hard of a game, and the original ideas I got from Ocarina of Time stuck to me.
I was hooked to the series since I played that first game, and I can barely remember my first time playing.

I grew up with ALttP. My parents when they just got married played it. Then, when I was born, they'd play it...on many home videos I'm playing it (and dying, I had no idea what I was doing) Then my cousin started playin OoT (That my parents also owned) and I made my first character (dkEW35O) why I remember that? I have no idea...but I do! It's strange

And I still play it because I think that it honestly is one of the best games (all of them) It has a deep story line, and makes you want to play again, to see if you missed anything.

I got Zelda (LOZ) as a kid... I do not know why it was bought or even who decided to buy it all I know is that for years we played that game trying to find all the dungeons and items and secrets (Internet didn't exist yet)... The exploration was new and exciting, I keep playing them for many reasons, part nostalgia, partly because they still spark my imagination, and part because they are just fun games to play.

I was 6 years old when a friend told me about Zelda,I didn't knew what it was but the way he was talking about Ocarina of time,it looked awesome ,than many mouths later my mom asked me if I wanted to have Ocarina of time I said yes and some days later she bought me Oot and ever since than Zelda is my favorite video game serie

H

Heroofwolves

My Zelda experience has truly changed my life, and is one of the most key aspects to who I am as a person. I first played Ocarina of Time on my neighbirs N64 when he let us borrow it. I had never seen anything like it, the serene quality of the music as link rode his horse across the prairie, I pressed start and picked up one of the current save files. I felt a chill when I saw the words "Temple of Time" appear. I was enchanted by the soothing, beutiful song of time music that played, the first Zelda music I ever heard. I then stepped put from the Temple and randomly started messing around. I was very young then, hard to remember exactly what age, but I did not even care how far I got in the game. I just loved the sense of exploration and wonder. I eventually got an N64 and OoT and got to truly experience it from start to finish. I loved the simple yet meaningful storyline, the music, dungeons, world, and everything. I have played all official Zelda games now apart from FS. They are all at the ver least good, most however are fantastic, esspeccially LttP, OoT, MM,WW,TP,and LA are all some of my fondest memorys. The series taught me patience, and the importance of beleiving in oneself, and friendship. It may sound cheesy but that is really what I got from it. I will never be able to let the series go, and I anticapate more fond memorys come Novemebr when Skyward Sword releases. Sorry for the long post btw.

gerudogirl

a crazed guns women
well, my grandparents had a N64, i was like 5-6 years old, i was bored, and i started to play OoT and MM. then the N64 broke, so i never got to finish, until my parents bought a wii and twilight princess, and that's how i became a Zel-addict. i continue playing because i enjoy playing the games.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom