• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

WW-Wii U Why Did This Happen?

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
My favourite race in the series are the Zoras, they are great. They didn't appear in Wind Waker (bar the Sage) but the Rito were cool so they became the best species in that. It turns out that when Hyrule got flooded, the Zoras evolved into the Rito to cope in the new environment.

why did they need to do that?

they are an aquatic race so wouldn't the land being flooded have been good for them? it's not exactly like they had to worry about drowning if they didn't go above the water. Zoras are able to go on land for brief periods and, as there are plenty of islands in the Great Sea, they easily could have made a new home on one of those, they could have made another Zora's Domain. so why did need to evolve?

i'm not complaining, the Rito are cool, but...WHY?

JakeProtagonist

Defender of Peace
You know... I have NO Idea. Why would they perffer flying over the now very occupied water area? Maybe it Just happened. Who knows.

And, having a race that can easily access all of underwater Hyrule doesn't make for a good storyline.

And, that sea is ginormous. To try and have a race that inhabits it, you would either need to make a very large amount of Zora characters or have them sparse, which doesn't work very well.

And, to try and have the typical Zora adventure where Link can swim underwater, that would be a HUGE ocean to explore, and again, they'd need to add more to underwater Hyrule, or keep it away from you while you were underwater.

And, in the storyline, you can only access Hyrule at certain points in the game for a specific reason, and to have you able to swim there anytime would help the storyline to take a dive as well.

My idea was that they're a freshwater people, at least the Hylian Zoras are. In every game the Zoras are found in lakes and rivers, all freshwater bodies of water. The high salt content of an ocean would most likely simply kill them. If it was in Termina it'd probably be a different story seeing as they are a salt water Zora. Just my thoughts that made the most sense to me.

JakeProtagonist

Defender of Peace
My idea was that they're a freshwater people, at least the Hylian Zoras are. In every game the Zoras are found in lakes and rivers, all freshwater bodies of water. The high salt content of an ocean would most likely simply kill them. If it was in Termina it'd probably be a different story seeing as they are a salt water Zora. Just my thoughts that made the most sense to me.
I think this one makes the most sense. Especially Since Salt water Zoras look different from normal Zoras in Hyrule.Good Attention to detail my friend ;)

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
most of you are looking at it from a game point of view. forget the game, they evolved long before the game started.

the sea becoming dangerous would have been a good theory but if you can sail past the enemies in a boat, a zora would have no problem swimming past them. if the have the shield you get in Majora's Mask, even more reason for them NOT to evolve.

this does make the most sense but the zora in MM are in the sea so it's not impossible for zora to live in salt water.

Are you actually sure it is said that the Zoras became the rito? I find this so unlikley.

quoted from the Zelda Wiki:

"The Rito are an evolved form of Zora that have gained the ability to fly"

http://www.zeldawiki.org/Rito

well, in the french version of the game the sea is described fishless

maybe they just coudn`t find food underwater

Rytex

Resident Netizen
Zora are freshwater beings, meaning if they were to live in the ocean (quite possibly like Majora's Mask), they would likely die out. However, I do believe Lord Valoo is responsible for their change. First off, he grants them a scale, which gives them their ability to fly. It makes me think Valoo provided them with the evolution. Jabun (Jabu-Jabu), as was seen, resided at Greatfish Isle for a while, but I doubt he could help the Zora when he was the source of their fresh water, especially in an ocean.

"We created the Rito as the evolved form of the Zora that appeared in "Ocarina of Time" and the Koroks as what the Kokiri became once they left the forest. They appear different, but they have inherited their blood." —Eiji Aonuma

What i think is that the Zoras evolved because it was no longer a lake it was a giant vast ocean and it was probibly to big so they started living on land and eventually evolved into rito.

L

L3WCore64

Yea, but they could of made Hyrule float in the sky in Wind Waker for all they cared and made it so no one could reach it (like it was hidden in the clouds) lol

I agree with your opinion more than my own lol

this does make the most sense but the zora in MM are in the sea so it's not impossible for zora to live in salt water.

I know, I noted that in my comment, but like I said, the zoras in MM are a different type of zora and I'm sure it would be reverse for them, if they were to spend too much time in fresh water, they too would die. While it is not impossible for there to be a salt water zora, it would be impossible for a fresh water zora to live in salt water and vice versa is what I'm saying. So in order for Hyrule's zora to survive they WOULD HAVE to go onto land and eventually they would no longer find use for their marine organs.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I remember someone on here, in response to that question, proposed that the goddesses forced them to evolve into Rito so that they *couldn't* find sunken Hyrule. That makes as much sense as anything in the games. The gods have a secret they don't want people of the new world to find, oops, there's this acquatic-race. Well, we'll have to change that, eh?

Besides, there is that nice, big open sky for them to play in, so why not?

Heh, now I'm remembering this weird Discovery Channel special I watched long ago about speculative evolution on Earth - "The Future is Wild." A few billion years into their future, the special had "flish" - birdlike creatures that had evolved from fish and flew around on their fins. Ridiculous creatures, but facinating. They weren't Rito, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom