• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Why Did Link Not Become a Wolf

Hero of…. #s, I guess
Okay, so the question here is: Why did Link not become a Wolf upon entering the Mirror of Twilight?

For background, let's look at the times Link has become a Wolf and why.

1st Time (Faron Province): Was the hero, so became a beast instead of a spirit upon entering twilight.
2nd Time (Eldin Province): Same
3rd Time (Lanayru Province): Same
4th Time (Lanayru Spring): Zant forced the rock or whatever into his head, using dark magic to make him a beast.
Times after that: Midna touched the rock thing to him.

But when he enters the Mirror of Twilight, he's entering the Twilight Realm, so why shouldn't the transformation that happened the first three times happen again?

My first thought is that the Master Sword, which originally ejected the rock thing, prevent his transformation. But that doesn't make since because Midna (or was it Zelda?) said that THIS TIME (meaning the rock thing), he was transformed by dark magic. When he transformed due to entering the twilight, it wasn't dark magic, it was him being the hero.

So why do you think he didn't transform when entering the Mirror of Twilight?

Hero of…. #s, I guess
But the Master Sword really only dealt with the dark magic of Zant's rock thing. It didn't even fully stop him from transforming, it just ejected the rock that had made him a Wolf.

Djinn

and Tonic
We have seen that the presence of the triforce causes one to not transform. Zelda was still in her normal form while in Hyrule Castle under twilight. Faron mentions that Link only transforms into a wolf instead of a spirit like everyone else due to his carrying the triforce of courage. The triforce is never named specifically but what was said was "power of the chosen one" and the previous Link of OoT had the Triforce.
"In the land covered in twilight, where people roam as spirits, you were transformed into a blue-eyed beast... That was a sign... It was a sign that the powers of the chosen one rest within you...and that they are awakening. [...] Your name is Link. You are the hero chosen by the gods." — Faron
"Look at your awakened form... The green tunic that is your garb once belonged to the ancient hero chosen by the gods... His power is yours. His is the true power that slept within you." — Faron
Zan't magic was accomplished by various shadow crystals. When Link gains the Master Sword it was totally removed from his body
"Careful... If you touch it, you'll turn back into a beast! This thing is too dangerous... It's probably for the best if we just leave it here, huh? But on the other hand...if we kept it, you'd be able to transform into a beast anytime you wanted... Yes, since Zant was kind enough to give this to us, we should be thankful and use it all we can! If you need it, just call me. I want to keep a low profile, so I'll hide in your shadow when you're human, but I can change you whenever. You can be a wolf anytime you like!" — Midna
However when you reach the Twilight Realm there are spots of black fog that turns Link into a wolf regardless of having the master sword. The first time you run into it Midna tells you about it.
Link, be careful...
This black fog is made up of shadow crystals created by Zant. They blot out
light...
He's responsible for stealing the light from the spirits and turning your world
into twilight...
But he's not all-powerful. We're prepared too. I can return you to your normal
state whenever you need, so don't worry, OK?
If you try to transform while in the fog Mida will tell you it is too powerful
No, Link! The darkness is too powerful in fog like this. Remain in wolf form!

So it was definitely the evil repelling power of the Master Sword that removed the transformation curse from Link's body when he obtained the sword. Then transforming was no longer a curse placed on him since it was removed and Midna claimed the shadow crystal. After that point no transformation was permanent since the power of the Master Sword would repel the evil from Link while the ToC would prevent him from transforming completely into a spirit. But even that can be overcome by a stronger force of shadow magic in the Twili Realm with the black fog. While standing in the fog you cannot transform back into normal Link. When Link gains the power of the Sols in the Master Sword then he can destroy the fog.

The Master Sword is a sacred blade that evil can never touch. Evil cloaks you like a dark veil... and that blade is the only thing that can cleave it." — Zelda

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I agree with Djinn here. When Link first transformed into a wolf he didn't have the mastersword and the world was covered into twilight. He obtained the mastersword after beating the Lakebed Temple. All three spirits had their lights back and so the world was no longer covered in twilight. When Link entered the Twilight Realm the only thing which transformed him into a beast was like Djinn alreay stated the fog. And the only way to remove this fog was to return the two sols to their places. And Link was the chosen hero as Midna stated. Not only in the world of light but also in the world of twilight. So the mastersword prevended him to turn into a wolf and keep his human form and the light of the sols made it possible for him to remove the fog and enter it safely.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Oh, I can explain that easily. I wondered that myself, but the actual Twilight Realm doesn't turn you into a spirit form, it changes you into a being that's merely a shadow in the Light World. Link was prevented from changing to a shadow form due to the Triforce of Courage.

Now, to make things a little clearer, I'll explain why he turned into a wolf when twilight dominated the light in Hyrule. Ok, we know that when the Light Spirits had their light stolen, twilight blotted out the light as there was no light left. That's not natural in the Light World, and somehow transforms people into spirit forms. (How I don't know, but that's not what matters.) Since Link had the Triforce of Courage, instead of transforming into a spirit form, he turned into what his spirit was like. A "feral beast." A wolf. So, there you go. Hope that helps.

Hero of…. #s, I guess
Okay, but when is the first time we see the the Triforce of Courage awaken in Link (symbol on his hand)? Is it after he pulls the Master Sword? If so, the ToC explanation is perfectly valid, and I'd guess that's likely since the Master Sword does seem to be a symbol of the hero ("The Master Sword is a sacred blade which evil ones may never touch. Only one worthy of the title, "Hero of Time" can pull it from the Pedestal of Time" -Rauru).

C

Caleb, Of Asui

The Triforce of Courage seems to awaken the first time he enters the twilight and turns into a wolf. Before then you can see the mark on his hand, showing he has it, but it appears dormant, more aesthetically like a burn mark and not the color of the artifact. When he enters the twilight for the first time, they show the Triforce of Courage on his hand light up. It appears as if it activates then to prevent him from becoming a spirit, instead turning him into the wolf. So you can't say that it protect him once he enters the Twilight Realm through the mirror. It might make sense to use the Master Sword as an explanation since that's the first time he has entered the twilight with it.

Perhaps it's worth comparing it to the same thing that happens in A Link to the Past where the Dark World turns him into a bunny, but once he has the moon pearl he's able to retain his original form. Perhaps something similar is going on here with the twilight. Perhaps there's something light (vs. the dark mist) he has that he didn't have before that keeps him in human form.

Hero of…. #s, I guess
Right, but the Master Sword can't be fully preventing him to transform, since if he touches the Shadow Crystal, that overrules the Master Sword, so I can't see why going fully into the twilight wouldn't overrule it.

Nicole

luke is my wife
425 said:
Right, but the Master Sword can't be fully preventing him to transform, since if he touches the Shadow Crystal, that overrules the Master Sword, so I can't see why going fully into the twilight wouldn't overrule it.

Not true, Sir. Doesn't the Master Sword overrule the Shadow Crystal? It is the only thing that can counter its dark power. I've always believed that the reason Link can transform into a wolf while carrying the Master Sword is that, well, he... puts it away somewhere. Or has Midna carry it. :P Honestly, if Link carried the Master Sword with him while he transformed into a wolf, he would revert back instantly, no?

I actually wondered the same thing at first. When walked into the Mirror, I braced myself to be transformed into a wolf again. I was quite suprised when it didn't happen. This is probably due to the combined power of the Triforce and Master Sword, meaning Link cannot be unwillingly transformed into a shadow.

Also, the Twilight in Hyrule was caused by the abscence of light, because the Light Spirits were attacked. My theory is that the Twilight in the Twilight Realm isn't exactly... evil, per say. The Twilight in Hyrule was, because it was created by an evil being. That theory is probably not even true, but that's what I like to think, anyway.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Okay, but when is the first time we see the the Triforce of Courage awaken in Link (symbol on his hand)? Is it after he pulls the Master Sword? If so, the ToC explanation is perfectly valid, and I'd guess that's likely since the Master Sword does seem to be a symbol of the hero ("The Master Sword is a sacred blade which evil ones may never touch. Only one worthy of the title, "Hero of Time" can pull it from the Pedestal of Time" -Rauru).

We actually see it for the first time in Ordon. You can see it on his hand when he's using the Horse and Hawk Grass. But the first time it's really shown is when he turns into a wolf for the first time. How can you not remember that? It knocked the Shadow Beast that pulled him into the twilight back.

I actually wondered the same thing at first. When walked into the Mirror, I braced myself to be transformed into a wolf again. I was quite suprised when it didn't happen. This is probably due to the combined power of the Triforce and Master Sword, meaning Link cannot be unwillingly transformed into a shadow.

Haha, the same thing with me. XD

pupairo12

Skyward Sword Anticipator
SoL's right, Minda probably carry's it. You know, how she demonstrates after you get the ordon sword and shield? I would think she just does that to the master sword (and the rest of Link's Items) when he's in wolf form. But, IMO I think the master sword keeps him safe from transforming.

Epona

Ordon Village
The newest ZD article on Twilight Princess said something about the fact that the twilight that Link went into through the mirror was just regular, normal, real twilight.

The twilight that Link was forced into by evil, corruption, was Zant's twilight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom