• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Why Did Link Need to Open the Second Gate of Time?

First, I would like to discuss the point of Link's spirit. You argue that Link opening the Gate of Time is sort of a back up in case his wish on the Triforce fails. The problem with your logic here is that after he completes the three Sacred Flame dungeons, we see a new mark of the Triforce appear on the back of Link's hand. By the time Link is ready to open the Second Gate of Time, Link has already gotten all three Triforce symbols on the back of his hand. This mean that Link's spirit is balanced, and thus Link's wish on the Triforce will not fail. In this way, Hylia has already confirmed the Hero's readiness to obtain the Triforce.

I think I might not have made my argument clear in post. The situation refers to the fact that Link's goal of opening the Gate of Time indirectly made Link's spirit strong enough to weigh the Triforce. There's more to the Gate quest than just getting a full powered Master Sword and allowing a convenient door for Ghirahim to revive his master. You could argue that Link can do the trials to make his spirit grow and then head for the Triforce, but I believe that Hylia would like a confirmation to ensure that everything is going according to her plan. After all, while Link can see that he's ready for the Triforce, Hylia could not unless he appears before her in the past.

(I would also like to say that I at first based my arguments around the situation where if Link didn't try to go for the 3 flames quest to open the Gate and just went straight for the Triforce. I now realized Link could possibly complete the Master Sword quest without the need for the Gate and head for the Triforce, so sorry if that made my first point confusing in the last post.)

Your second point is that some new evil might appear that requires the True Master Sword to be defeated. The problem with this logic is that when Link has made his wish on the Triforce and has killed Demise, Zelda can awaken from her slumber. At this point, Zelda still has Hylia's power, so she is now free to upgrade Link's sword.

The problem with your point is that Ghirahim is still around. He ambushed the group directly and captured Zelda after the heartwarming reunion in the regular game, who is to say he will do it again before Link can get the fully powered Master Sword. And considering that Link killed his master, I don't think Ghirahim would allow Zelda to empower the Master Sword. Sure you can say that Link can deal with Ghirahim but since Ghirahim has Zelda and Link doesn't have the fully powered Master Sword, the odds are in Ghirahim's favor. It is significantly more risky to have Master Sword upgraded at the present time where Ghirahim can easily reach Zelda in a snap.

Your next point is about the flow of the story. Yeah, but this is solely included to please the gamers and through in an emotional scene. From a realistic standpoint (the one I am arguing from), this encounter with Zelda is pointless.

From a realistic standpoint, Link would have not expected Ghirahim to find and use the Time Gate to revive Demise nor would he allow some 15% chance of that happening get in his way of meeting with Zelda. Your arguments that the opening the Gate is pointless from a realistic standpoint is based on future events in game that may or may not happen from the character's point of view. Link doesn't have the power to look into the future and neither does Impa. At best, Fi could calculate the danger percentage of opening the Gate, but that hasn't stopped Link before and it wouldn't stop him now. It’s more natural and realistic to have Link meet with Zelda so he can digest the information of his destiny much easier from her than say Impa. Having him to avoid that fateful meeting with Zelda to just prevent the chance that Ghirahim may use the Gate to revive Demise is borderline unrealistic for both the character and the situation they’re in. Stuff like bring time stones to Faron Woods to grow a tree or powering the Master Sword after the Triforce are actions of a Peggy Sue, not realistic decisions.

About you final point, I don't quite get it. Could you please elaborate on "I’m sure that Ghirahim will “persuade” Link and his group to open it for him."?

Given Ghirahim's tendency to give "the affair so excruciating you'll deafen yourself with the shrill sound of your own screams", I would say that Ghirahim would either force them to open the Gate or tortured (and possibly kill) Zelda slowly just make Link suffer greatly. While Link could attack Ghirahim, he wouldn’t if it means risking Zelda’s life.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom