• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Why Did Link Need to Open the Second Gate of Time?

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
If I recall, the first Gate of Time was destroyed in the Temple of Time, when Ghirahim caught up with Zelda and Impa in Lanayru. Impa had laid an explosive to detonate the gate to prevent Ghirahim from pursuing them any further.

Yeah, but this still doesn't explain why he had to open another Gate of Time.

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predestination_paradox

It's called a causality loop. Link had no idea about all the time-travel going on. So basically if Link would of never went back in time, Demise would have never been destroyed and the imprisoned wouldn't exist in the present to be crushed by Hylias statue. Let me put it this way, everything Link does in the game is necessary or else the universe would unravel, Every bit of time-travel was foretold and destined to happen that way to fulfill Hylias plan.

PhantomTriforce

If Link doesn't go back in time in the first place he has no idea what's going on. That's kind of important, don'tcha think?

Link knows what is going on because Old Impa tells him everything he needs to know. And she could have also said everything Zelda told Link in the past.

Link knows what is going on because Old Impa tells him everything he needs to know. And she could have also said everything Zelda told Link in the past.

Well it's better to hear it from Zelda, right? :P No, in all seriousness, she was needed to turn the master sword into the True Master Sword, the only way to kill Demise. You don't think smashing him with the isle of the goddess really killed him, do you? If nothing else, it could have been partially for his sake, I don't think he could have taken much more heart break.

PhantomTriforce

Well it's better to hear it from Zelda, right? :P No, in all seriousness, she was needed to turn the master sword into the True Master Sword, the only way to kill Demise. You don't think smashing him with the isle of the goddess really killed him, do you? If nothing else, it could have been partially for his sake, I don't think he could have taken much more heart break.

But that's my point. If Link never opened the Second Gate of Time, he would have never gotten the True Master Sword AND Demise wouldn't have been revived because Ghirahim can't open the Second Gate of Time.

And yes, I do think that the Isle of the Goddess really killed Demise (The Imprisoned) because it was the wish of the Triforce, and the wish was granted. With the fact that the Triforce is the most powerful thing in the Zelda universe, it is unquestionable that the Isle of the Goddess killed Demise.

But that's my point. If Link never opened the Second Gate of Time, he would have never gotten the True Master Sword AND Demise wouldn't have been revived because Ghirahim can't open the Second Gate of Time.

And yes, I do think that the Isle of the Goddess really killed Demise (The Imprisoned) because it was the wish of the Triforce, and the wish was granted. With the fact that the Triforce is the most powerful thing in the Zelda universe, it is unquestionable that the Isle of the Goddess killed Demise.

There's your problem. Even if Ghirahim can't go to the past, he could eventually figure out where Zelda is in the future, the very place where the second gate of time is. Therefore, Demise wouldn't be able to be killed if Link didn't go to the past. To do that he needs to get the song of the hero. If he isn't killed, then the Imprisoned keeps breaking the seal and Link won't be around long enough to stop him every time. To get the Triforce, Link needs to get the song of the hero, so he needs to open the second gate of time for reasons other than seeing Zelda. To revive Lanayru, Link must plant the seed of the Tree of Life in the past and bring him the fruit. So, yes, opening the second gate of time is completely necessary.

PhantomTriforce

There's your problem. Even if Ghirahim can't go to the past, he could eventually figure out where Zelda is in the future, the very place where the second gate of time is. Therefore, Demise wouldn't be able to be killed if Link didn't go to the past. To do that he needs to get the song of the hero. If he isn't killed, then the Imprisoned keeps breaking the seal and Link won't be around long enough to stop him every time. To get the Triforce, Link needs to get the song of the hero, so he needs to open the second gate of time for reasons other than seeing Zelda. To revive Lanayru, Link must plant the seed of the Tree of Life in the past and bring him the fruit. So, yes, opening the second gate of time is completely necessary.

What I am trying to say is that Demise didn't need to be killed if he never was revived in the first place. Using the Triforce, Link killed the Imprisoned, essentially killing Demise. At this point, there is no more Demise because Link did not open the Second Gate of Time. See what I'm trying to say here? And if Link is capable of killing Demise, an entity who is said to be much more powerful than Ghriahim, I don't think Ghirahim would be much of an issue to Link since Ghirahim keeps fleeing from Link.

And your second point about Lanayru's health issue, I feel this is more of a gameplay element than a plot element. This is like saying that we are going to introduce time travel, a very complicated issue, to solve a simple problem like Lanayru's health. Even if Link didn't open the Second Gate of Time, Lanayru's health problem is easily solved. Get Scrapper to carry a Timeshift Orb to the Sealed Temple, plant the seed using the Timeshift Orb, then remove the Orb. Now we have a fruit to cure Lanayru.

What I am trying to say is that Demise didn't need to be killed if he never was revived in the first place. Using the Triforce, Link killed the Imprisoned, essentially killing Demise. At this point, there is no more Demise because Link did not open the Second Gate of Time. See what I'm trying to say here? And if Link is capable of killing Demise, an entity who is said to be much more powerful than Ghriahim, I don't think Ghirahim would be much of an issue to Link since Ghirahim keeps fleeing from Link.

And your second point about Lanayru's health issue, I feel this is more of a gameplay element than a plot element. This is like saying that we are going to introduce time travel, a very complicated issue, to solve a simple problem like Lanayru's health. Even if Link didn't open the Second Gate of Time, Lanayru's health problem is easily solved. Get Scrapper to carry a Timeshift Orb to the Sealed Temple, plant the seed using the Timeshift Orb, then remove the Orb. Now we have a fruit to cure Lanayru.

But Link can't even get the triforce to kill future demise without the gate of time and seed. I don't think of the seed being a gameplay element, that is some serious stuff right there. The legendary all powerful dragon lanayru who has a portion of the song of the hero which is instrumental in killing demise is sick with a terminal disease. There's no screwing around.

If timeshift stones could accomplish that, then why doesn't ghirahim just use one to revive demise in the past? Why doesn't he just use one in the desert instead of a gate of time? Why don't Zelda and impa just use timeshift crystals in Hylia's temple? Because it's not that simple. Timeshift stones aren't all-powerful problem solvers. To be honest they're more mysterious, experimental, and unstable.

Because opening the Gate of Time is the safest bet for Link's quest if Demise is to be destroyed. The reason why Impa sent Link off to forge the Goddess Sword into the Master Sword is not just to open the Gate, but also have to Link's spirit grow as well.

The Triforce is not some relic that you can just touch and say "I wish". It grants the wish that one's heart desires deep down and requires the bearer to have an unbreakable spirit with the balance of courage, wisdom, and power. Without that, many things could go wrong when Link wishes for the Demise's Destruction. The Triforce might split apart with one piece that ends up in the hands of Ghirahim or someone even worse, causing for Link to hunt for them again. The trials for hero to face are to prove his worthiness as Hylia's Chosen Hero and the bearer of the Triforce. Something that Hylia would like to confirm herself.

While you might argue that Impa may confirm Link's balanced spirit and tell him everything he needs to know, that method is just simply cutting corners to the plan that will ensure the destruction of Demise and possibly risk the future of Hyrule. The death of the Imprisoned doesn't stop Ghirahim or any of his cronies to continue on Demise's legacy. New evils will arise and may possibly be invulnerable to anything except the True Master Sword. That little trip to the Gate of Time that may cause hindrances now, but it will benefit the world in the long run.

Using the Gate of Time also ensures the meeting with Zelda and give her heartwarming goodbye and promise. The last thing she sees before a thousand year slumber is Link, who promise to wake her up, and when she wakes up, the first thing she sees is Link waiting there. It's much more emotionally to give an assuring goodbye for her than to have her fall asleep, not knowing if her friend would awaken her at all. From a story perspective, Link has to open the Gate of Time and meet Zelda or otherwise the flow of the story just becomes cookie-cutter.

Not to mention that Ghirahim doesn’t know where the Gate of Time is until the last moment. Throughout the game, we see Ghirahim is searching for the second Gate of Time to capture Zelda but with no such luck. Link and Impa believe that the Gate is safe as long as no one spills the beans of its location. In fact I believe that the only reason why Ghirahim was at the Sealed Temple in the first place is because Zelda’s aura appeared there after his Master was crushed. So even if the Gate of Time is not opened, I’m sure that Ghirahim will “persuade” Link and his group to open it for him.

All in all, your alternative methods may prevent the return of Demise but it complicates the situation more than necessary and it's simply not Link if he did those things. Link always confronts his destiny head-on, never tries to avoid his fate or battles that he must face.

Last edited:

PhantomTriforce

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predestination_paradox

It's called a causality loop. Link had no idea about all the time-travel going on. So basically if Link would of never went back in time, Demise would have never been destroyed and the imprisoned wouldn't exist in the present to be crushed by Hylias statue. Let me put it this way, everything Link does in the game is necessary or else the universe would unravel, Every bit of time-travel was foretold and destined to happen that way to fulfill Hylias plan.

This is actually a plausible explanation, but what do you mean by "Link had no idea about all the time-travel going on."? Surely Link saw Impa and Zelda go through the gate, and even if he didn't the Old Impa explained it all to him.

Because opening the Gate of Time is the safest bet for Link's quest if Demise is to be destroyed. The reason why Impa sent Link off to forge the Goddess Sword into the Master Sword is not just to open the Gate, but also have to Link's spirit grow as well.

The Triforce is not some relic that you can just touch and say "I wish". It grants the wish that one's heart desires deep down and requires the bearer to have an unbreakable spirit with the balance of courage, wisdom, and power. Without that, many things could go wrong when Link wishes for the Demise's Destruction. The Triforce might split apart with one piece that ends up in the hands of Ghirahim or someone even worse, causing for Link to hunt for them again. The trials for hero to face are to prove his worthiness as Hylia's Chosen Hero and the bearer of the Triforce. Something that Hylia would like to confirm herself.

While you might argue that Impa may confirm Link's balanced spirit and tell him everything he needs to know, that method is just simply cutting corners to the plan that will ensure the destruction of Demise and possibly risk the future of Hyrule. The death of the Imprisoned doesn't stop Ghirahim or any of his cronies to continue on Demise's legacy. New evils will arise and may possibly be invulnerable to anything except the True Master Sword. That little trip to the Gate of Time that may cause hindrances now, but it will benefit the world in the long run.

Using the Gate of Time also ensures the meeting with Zelda and give her heartwarming goodbye and promise. The last thing she sees before a thousand year slumber is Link, who promise to wake her up, and when she wakes up, the first thing she sees is Link waiting there. It's much more emotionally to give an assuring goodbye for her than to have her fall asleep, not knowing if her friend would awaken her at all. From a story perspective, Link has to open the Gate of Time and meet Zelda or otherwise the flow of the story just becomes cookie-cutter.

Not to mention that Ghirahim doesn’t know where the Gate of Time is until the last moment. Throughout the game, we see Ghirahim is searching for the second Gate of Time to capture Zelda but with no such luck. Link and Impa believe that the Gate is safe as long as no one spills the beans of its location. In fact I believe that the only reason why Ghirahim was at the Sealed Temple in the first place is because Zelda’s aura appeared there after his Master was crushed. So even if the Gate of Time is not opened, I’m sure that Ghirahim will “persuade” Link and his group to open it for him.

All in all, your alternative methods may prevent the return of Demise but it complicates the situation more than necessary and it's simply not Link if he did those things. Link always confronts his destiny head-on, never tries to avoid his fate or battles that he must face.

First, I would like to discuss the point of Link's spirit. You argue that Link opening the Gate of Time is sort of a back up in case his wish on the Triforce fails. The problem with your logic here is that after he completes the three Sacred Flame dungeons, we see a new mark of the Triforce appear on the back of Link's hand. By the time Link is ready to open the Second Gate of Time, Link has already gotten all three Triforce symbols on the back of his hand. This mean that Link's spirit is balanced, and thus Link's wish on the Triforce will not fail. In this way, Hylia has already confirmed the Hero's readiness to obtain the Triforce.

Your second point is that some new evil might appear that requires the True Master Sword to be defeated. The problem with this logic is that when Link has made his wish on the Triforce and has killed Demise, Zelda can awaken from her slumber. At this point, Zelda still has Hylia's power, so she is now free to upgrade Link's sword.

Your next point is about the flow of the story. Yeah, but this is solely included to please the gamers and through in an emotional scene. From a realistic standpoint (the one I am arguing from), this encounter with Zelda is pointless.

About you final point, I don't quite get it. Could you please elaborate on "I’m sure that Ghirahim will “persuade” Link and his group to open it for him."?

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
This is actually a plausible explanation, but what do you mean by "Link had no idea about all the time-travel going on."? Surely Link saw Impa and Zelda go through the gate, and even if he didn't the Old Impa explained it all to him.

What I meant was that, Link had no idea of all the causality loop nonsense that was happening. If he did, the loop wouldn't have been made. So basically Link knew there was time-travel going on, he just didn't know that all of it was necessary to create the present and as such both his and Zeldas future.

................................................................................................because we needed a final boss...........................................................

PhantomTriforce

What I meant was that, Link had no idea of all the causality loop nonsense that was happening. If he did, the loop wouldn't have been made. So basically Link knew there was time-travel going on, he just didn't know that all of it was necessary to create the present and as such both his and Zeldas future.

Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't actually thinking in the direction that you are, so thanks for helping me out with the question. It's just that if Link didn't know, doesn't Old Impa know? And wouldn't she tell Link?

................................................................................................because we needed a final boss...........................................................

Oh you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom