• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Why Can't Young Link Use Some of Adult Link's Weapons?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Your quote:
He technically never got the bombs he aquired as an adult when he was a child, so how could he have retained all the bombs he had as an adult when he traveled back in time?

He puts them in the bomb bag. You're forgetting that Link doesn't carry the individual bombs, he puts them in a bomb bag, which he got as a child. Therefore, by putting the bombs in the bomb bag, the bombs lose their individuality, thus rendering the time in which Link got them completely meaningless. Therefore, it doesn't matter which time Link got the bombs in the bomb bag; he can use them either way.

Wow, this is really turning into a heated debate...

He puts them in the bomb bag. You're forgetting that Link doesn't carry the individual bombs, he puts them in a bomb bag, which he got as a child. Therefore, by putting the bombs in the bomb bag, the bombs lose their individuality, thus rendering the time in which Link got them completely meaningless. Therefore, it doesn't matter which time Link got the bombs in the bomb bag; he can use them either way.

To throw a curve ball at this argument, how come when you travel back in time in Majora's Mask, even though the bombs are in the bomb bag, you lose them? It should be the same logic, he collects them on day 3 we will say, puts them in the bag, they lose their individuality, but you still lose them as if you had not collected them.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
To throw a curve ball at this argument, how come when you travel back in time in Majora's Mask, even though the bombs are in the bomb bag, you lose them? It should be the same logic, he collects them on day 3 we will say, puts them in the bag, they lose their individuality, but you still lose them as if you had not collected them.

Simple: Majora's Mask is not Ocarina of Time. :P

On a serious note, it could be because the method of time travel is different. In Ocarina of Time, Link time travels with the Master Sword. In Majora's Mask, Link uses the Ocarina of Time.

onidarklink2

An Hero of our Time

Ok, I can see this arguement isn't going anywhere, so I'm just going to end it here. You can have your own speculation- I see I'm not going to be able to change your views- but personally, I think your logic if flawed.
And that still doesn't explain how Link keeps all the Deku nuts he gets as an adult cause he doesn't have anything to carry them with.

When an item is put onto Link's persona at any point in time in OoT, they essentially become part of him. Like when you get in a time machine, everything in there is transported with you, same effect. The nuts are stored with his items as well as deku sticks, bombs, arrows, seeds and the like. The reason why he can't use a bow as a kid is probably because of the strength needed to wield it, to pull back the string. The hookshot is probably a little too big and awkward for it to be used by a child effectively. As for why adult link doesn't use the child items... A slingshot probably wouldn't be effective against the monsters that Link comes across as an adult, same with the boomerang. Given that and the initial size of the items would make it awkward for adult Link to use effectively. In MM the items are the right size for Link, but the method of time travel is different than OoT seeing as it's used by the Ocarina and not by sealing of the soul. When Link draws the sword he's sealed for seven years and doesn't travel instantaneously, and when he puts it back, the sword reverts to the original time it was at rest. In MM he plays the song and it reverses time by 3 days so everything is how it was, aside from the items held on Link's person. He loses the small items like arrows and such because of game convenience and difficulty, that's really the only reason they did that and really can't be explained logically.

onilink17

onilink17
Basically this was just for game play.... Nintendo just needed a way to get the player to think. and that's really the only reason.

M

Matthew

Majora's Mask takes place a few years after Ocarina of Time so Link has gotten stronger and learned how to ride a horse. Also, the weapons in Majora's Mask are smaller versions of OoT's weapons so they're a perfect fit for him.

Majora's Mask isn't a few years after Ocarina of Time. Not even. Doubt so much as a year had passed.

I think what Thareous said is most correct, Link would be able to change between an adult, and a child later in the game. It all has to do with time, and I know Majora's Mask had a lot to do with time, but that's a different kind of time. That's a time limit, but the time in Ocarina is time travel.

Ghirahim

Demon Lord
Majora's Mask takes place a few years after Ocarina of Time so Link has gotten stronger and learned how to ride a horse.

No it doesn't. If MM took place "a few years" after OoT, Link would probably look like Adult Link by then. But he doesn't, he looks exactly like Young Link in OoT. He hasn't aged, and neither has "Young" Epona.

Majora's Mask isn't a few years after Ocarina of Time. Not even. Doubt so much as a year had passed.

I think what Thareous said is most correct, Link would be able to change between an adult, and a child later in the game. It all has to do with time, and I know Majora's Mask had a lot to do with time, but that's a different kind of time. That's a time limit, but the time in Ocarina is time travel.

Actually, the time in Majora's Mask is Time Travel while Ocarina is a sealing effect. He's not actually traveling in time, he's being sealed away in the Sacred Realm while everything around him ages at the normal rate of 7 years, including himself. When he puts the sword back it reverts back to the instant before the Sword is pulled out. In Majora's Mask we instantaneously travel from day 3 to day1 making this the concept we know of of time travel.

M

Matthew

Actually, the time in Majora's Mask is Time Travel while Ocarina is a sealing effect. He's not actually traveling in time, he's being sealed away in the Sacred Realm while everything around him ages at the normal rate of 7 years, including himself. When he puts the sword back it reverts back to the instant before the Sword is pulled out. In Majora's Mask we instantaneously travel from day 3 to day1 making this the concept we know of of time travel.

Damn you're right again. Always right.D:

Adam

Undefeated
A) logic totally exists in Zelda but can sometimes be trumped by...
:cool: game mechanics, link cant access everything all the time bc the game was built around having a time jump, MM Link can access everything bc there was never a time when Link was in a different time or any drastic changes like OoT

zellinkda

one of many
majora's mask is the sequel to Oot. however, the game is supposed to be played like you never went 7 years in the future. meaning you never got the hookshot or the bow or the mirror shield. also note that in MM the shield fits little link's size, whereas Oot has a huge shield built for an adult

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Well, I would assume that young Link is too weak to use some of his weapons from the future. The Megaton Hammer and the Bow and Arrow seem to be both too big and too heavy, if you ask me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom