• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Why Can't Young Link Use Some of Adult Link's Weapons?

N

NickH8

Ok so you know how in Ocarina of Time young Link can't use some of Adult Link's items? Like the bow? Epona? But in Majora's Mask, HE CAN! Why is this? Is it because he got the experience as an adult? What do you think?

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Pure game mechanics.. If young link could use the bow the slingshot would become worthless..

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Because Link could become a child or an adult at will later in the game. Some of the items would've been made useless and bear no point in having them. What could Nintendo do? Replace the items with higher ones, such as the slingshot with the bow? No, I actually like that they kept the initial weapons for Young Link, because it allows for more item usage and seems a bit more realistic.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Because Link got those when he was an Adult. As a Child he doesn't have the bow yet. How can he use something he doesn't even have? And as for Adult Link, he can't use the boomerang or the slingshot because they're too small for him to hold, since they're meant for a Child and not an Adult.

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
Think of it like this, when Link is a child, he is seven years behind his adult form. Meaning, as a child Link hasn't acquired the Lingshot or the Bow or the Megaton Hammer. Whereas when ink's an adult, you can't use the Boomerang, Slingshot, etc. because he has "adult" versions of the items. What's a boomerang used for? To bring things to you. What does the Hook/Longshot do? Bring stuff to you/bring you to stuff. What is a slingshot? I projectile weapon? What is a bow? A projectile weapon with longer range.

Some items cancel each other out, and it also depends on time.

onidarklink2

An Hero of our Time
I think they decieded to do this because, if Link could still use all of these items as an adult, it would ruin the point of getting all of the new items as an adult and screw up the game at the point where you just became an adult and don't have many items. If you could use all of the items you had as a child as an adult as well, you would be able to get to points in the game too early on.
Because Link got those when he was an Adult. As a Child he doesn't have the bow yet. How can he use something he doesn't even have? And as for Adult Link, he can't use the boomerang or the slingshot because they're too small for him to hold, since they're meant for a Child and not an Adult.
If you're going by that logic, why does Link always have the same number of bombs/bottled goods/deku nuts/etc. whenever he time-travels?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
If you're going by that logic, why does Link always have the same number of bombs/bottled goods/deku nuts/etc. whenever he time-travels?

Simple: he got the bombs as a child, and he can use them as an adult. Therefore, they're unaffected by time travel. Same with the empty bottles; Link gets most of them as a child, and Adult Link can use them too.

Besides, I'm not going by "logic", I'm going by my own theory. "Logic" does not exist in the world of Zelda. :P

onidarklink2

An Hero of our Time
Simple: he got the bombs as a child, and he can use them as an adult. Therefore, they're unaffected by time travel. Same with the empty bottles; Link gets most of them as a child, and Adult Link can use them too.

Besides, I'm not going by "logic", I'm going by my own theory. "Logic" does not exist in the world of Zelda. :P
But his # of bombs & stuff stays the same after he goes from being an adult to being a kid again too.

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
But his # of bombs & stuff stays the same after he goes from being an adult to being a kid again too.
I think what Azure is trying to say is that when you get the bombs as a child, you carry them over with you as an adult. And when you go back to being a child, the bombs are carried with you because you obtained them as a child.

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
so how come if young Link used all his bombs, went forward in time, went into a shop and bought 40 bombs, then went back in time, he has 40 bombs?

plus all the songs he learns as an adult he can play as a child, before he has learned them

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
so how come if young Link used all his bombs, went forward in time, went into a shop and bought 40 bombs, then went back in time, he has 40 bombs?

plus all the songs he learns as an adult he can play as a child, before he has learned them

Because both Links can use them! It goes for the Ocarina songs, too! Because Link keeps his memory when he time travels, thus he can remember the songs, and since they both have an ocarina, they can both play them.

onidarklink2

An Hero of our Time
Like I said, they're unaffected by time travel because both Links can use them.

EDIT: Zeldahuman is right about that. Even if he did ninja me...
Your quote:
Because Link got those when he was an Adult. As a Child he doesn't have the bow yet. How can he use something he doesn't even have?
He technically never got the bombs he aquired as an adult when he was a child, so how could he have retained all the bombs he had as an adult when he traveled back in time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom