• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Why Can't the Master Sword Do Skyward Strikes in Other Games?

In Skyward Sword, you forge the Master Sword to its fullest and your able to do a technique called skyward strike,but Link put it back at the end of the game. So I ask, why cant you do the Skyward Strikes in Ocarina, Wind Waker, etc.?

Is it something to do with Fi?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The Skyward Strike is a needless innovation in the Zelda games. It doesn't exist in OoT because the Strike wasn't even around until SS' inception. An explanation would be "the Master Sword lost its power at times sitting in its pedestal". We can't really go beyond that.

agreed ^, another thing I would like to say is that it is the same thing as the sword beam so it was supost to be in OoT but was
...........|

The skyward strike was a gameplay feature, not a result of the plot. The best explanation of why the Master Sword hasn't been able to do skyward strikes in other games is that the developers hadn't made it up yet.

Probably because the power is gone and it was sealed at the pedestal from where link placed it after defeating demise.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
The skyward strike was a gameplay feature, not a result of the plot. The best explanation of why the Master Sword hasn't been able to do skyward strikes in other games is that the developers hadn't made it up yet.

Correction...

The developers already made it up since the first zelda game. Its just a beamblade attack with a different name. Like "Links Ocarina 7" said, the beamblade attack was supposed to be in OOT. But eventually this beamblade attack was used in MM.

Feral

The Drifter
Maybe SS draws it's power from Skyloft? So later when Skyloft rejoins the rest of the world (maybe) you just get the blade beam attack...yup no need to point to the sky just point horizontally.....:yes: :lol:

MW7

I did a little research and actually found that 13 of the 16 games in the series have some form of a sword beam (source http://www.zeldawiki.org/Sword_Beam). The three exceptions that have no equivalent are Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess. Sorry to jump off the theory bus to give a practical and "it's a video game" kind of answer, but I think the main reason is because each of those games would have been freakishly easy in terms of combat with a sword beam. Majora's Mask had a sword beam in the form of Fierce Deity's Mask, but it was so limited in how you could use it because you could only use it in boss battles. I don't think anyone complains about how Legend of Zelda, Adventure of Link, or A Link to the Past let you use the sword beam as much as you want (as long as you have full health) because those games were hard with the sword beams. Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess already were easy in terms of combat so a sword beam would be overkill. Skyward Sword was naturally harder than those games combat-wise so the sword beam didn't make the game too easy (especially since some enemies could block it). I abused the skyward strike a lot but it only really helps against enemies that I could have beaten anyway.

I think it's clear how Wind Waker was easy in combat already because the parry made every enemy easy. Twilight Princess was similar to Ocarina of Time but also had the hidden skills which were better than a sword beam. Ocarina of Time I think is easier than Skyward Sword, but harder than the other two games without a sword beam.

Last edited:
The Skyward Strike is a needless innovation in the Zelda games. It doesn't exist in OoT because the Strike wasn't even around until SS' inception. An explanation would be "the Master Sword lost its power at times sitting in its pedestal". We can't really go beyond that.

In several ways the Skyward Strike is essentially a "Sword Beam" that has been, as stated in this thread, featured in 13 games in the series in some form - beam, zap, disc, etc.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Easy. The idea wasn't thought up yet.

Seriously. That's not a smart-alack answer. That's the actual reason. Something can't be put in a game if it hasn't been thought of.

The Skyward Strike is a needless innovation in the Zelda games.

Wait, what? This isn't part of the topic, so there's no real reason in this being brought up or brought into question, but what makes you say that? The Skyward Strike was a great addition to Skyward Sword. It was the equivalent of the Sword Beam, which has always been an effective projectile option, only this time it was actually used as a legitimate part of the gameplay. I don't see why anyone would think it's needless.

Twili123prince

"ZINGA-DINGDING"
I have a small theory of my own about this. I think the only reason Link can charge up a Skyward Strike in SS is because thats the Goddesses way of helping him. Think about it. Link is the first chosen hero chosen by the Goddess. It would only make sense if she helped him a little. In the game the Goddess sends a few things down to the surface in order to help Link- Goddess Cubes, Goddess Walls and the Bird Emblems ( Found in Spirit Springs, The Statue of the goddess and in the sword purifying rooms.) Those things are there because the Goddess put them there for her chosen hero and not for anyone else. With Link possessing the Goddess Sword he is the only one who can access them. I don't really agree with the sword beam in other games being the same as the Skyward Strike idea because they are two different things. Skyward Strikes requires the Goddesses power and for Link to raise his sword skyward and the sword beams in other games do not. More proof is that in the original Legend of Zelda and in Legend of Zelda Adventure of Link, Link doesn't even use the Master Sword and he has a sword beam. Sure, he has a sword beam in ALTTP but I'm pretty sure thats just a thing Nintendo did with the older Zelda titles. They gave Link a sword beam with no intent that Skyward Sword Link would also have a beam of sorts. Nintendo didn't realize, too, that when they made the Master Sword it would later on use a Skyward Strike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom