• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Can't the Kokiri Children Leave the Deku Forest?

Pie Master

Master of cakes and pies
Somewhere in the jungles of Qoetzacotloal's
Basically, because Kokiri are eternal children, they just don't have a grow-up mentality people have, because they don't have to (or better, can't) grow
So, it was a white lie to protect them, and I think they (at least some) knew
Because, unless Mido can spread gossip really fast, Link leaves with relatively no tries to keep him there (because none of them (not even Link) knew he was really a Hylian, so ... the danger / death "situation" remains)

Smoore

The Rational Theist
It could be like the children of Neverland, where once they leave, they begin to grow up.

Or it could be like the Elves of The Lord of the Rings lore, who never age but can be killed or die from extreme grief.

If it is the first, then they grow up once they leave the forest. If it is the second, then they lose their divine protection once they forsake the care of the Deku Tree.

I think it is the second one, personally.

I always thought that leaving the forest meant they would be attacked by monsters and that's why they said they would die if they leave the forest.

I would agree with it meaning that they are pure and innocent.
If they ever left they would be going into a world of danger and tainted people.
They say as children as well forever because of this purity within their land.

I think they can't leave because they are forest spirits. the life of the forest. or... because the deku tree just want them protected because of ganon and the danger in hyrule. I mean even the entire castle town, lon lon ranch and basically EVERYWHERE were cursed with evil

They leave during the credits, so i assume they just wouldnt last in the outside world so they "cant" leave.

Tictalk

Anouki
I always just thought that the don't know that they can. So if one of them wanted to they would forget before they could leave, but your theory ,makes more sense.

They leave during the credits, so i assume they just wouldnt last in the outside world so they "cant" leave.

I dont think that the credits should be taken as proof that they can leave. I always thought that it wasn't really part of the game just something that was thrown in for the end of the game. My proof for this is there are a couple of made up characters in the credits. An example would be that there are ten carpenters instead of five.

Last edited:

iDarkLink

Sage of the Dark World
Umm... Didn't the words "Kokiri Forest" when you leave your house at the beginning of OoT show you it's called the Kokiri Forest, not the Deku Forest..? :lol: thats an uncommon mistake i've seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom