• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Can't Navi heal you?

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
So I was playing OOT and collecting fairies in bottles and I realised that I had a fairy with me at all times in the form of Navi so why is it that she can't use her fairy magic to keep me nice and healthy? And the other fairy companions as well?

Ps sorry if this is in the wrong place its my first post

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
I believe it's because she's a companion fairy not a healing fairy. She was meant to be a guide long term.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
It's the right place, Py. No worries.
Every time you use a fairy to heal, many speculate that they die. Do you want to kill Navi?
... well, actually, I take that back, but I don't think Navi wanted to kill Navi

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
ha ha ha deku I imagine there's a few people who wouldn't have minded if she died. I play OOT 3ds with the sound off so she doesn't bother me. I now feel guilty about using fairies it sucks if they do die. I like BWWA's idea of different types of fairy though.

Traditionally, pink fairies are the ones that heal Link. Navi is a blue fairy, so she does not have the same power as the pink fairies do. Her main purpose is to guide Link in his quest.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Ok so I'll answer this from a hypothetical perspective.

First off we can assume that the fairies that actually heal Link and talkative ones like Navi, are actually different. Navi, Tatl, Tael, and the fairies in Phantom Hourglass, are all intelligent beings that help Link a great deal. Fairies that heal Link seem to just exist with no other purpose. In Ocarina of Time they're referred to as "Fairy's Spirits" and I think that's a pretty accurate description. This is even further supported by Majora's Mask's Stray Fairies, which are basically broken remnants of a complete Fairy.

As to the reason why Navi doesn't heal Link, well I think can be explained rather easily. First off, there is definitely a hierarchy among this race. Great Fairies > Fairies > Fairy Spirits. Great Fairies can gift Link with certain abilities as well as healing. Fairies display intelligence much like their superior counterparts, but don't have much of a physical form and they can't do much beyond offer wisdom and guidance. Fairy Spirits purely exist to heal Link. Notice how when Link uses a Fairy Spirit that the actual spirit doesn't exist after? It's almost as if that Fairy has given its life/power tool heal Link or that Link has taken its power. So that's the main difference between these Fairies and Navi really.

The question is whether these Fairies are sentient or not. I think I'd lean more towards not and I'll explain why. Again it's similar to Stray Fairies. Fairy Spirits seem to be an extension of a Great Fairy's Power rather than an actual inherent poor. It's as if she's giving Link a part of herself.

Djinn

and Tonic
Even in real world folklore there are different types of fairies that have different jobs to do, this might be the case in game. Also healing fairies seem to be consumed in some way each time they heal Link. They vanish, which might not exactly be useful for Link if Navi heals him once then poofs. That may go against her mission from the Deku Tree.

karu

Panamaniac
It's because if you'd use her as healing fairy you'd actually kill her, the only source of unending knowledge in the game, un...ending...knowledge...:(
Plus the Deku Tree cast a protective spell on Navi so that evil people, like yourself, couldn't use her as a healing fairy and KILL HER!!! Honestly I love her to death, but those she even shut up for moment? I'm in a battle about to kill the boss and she's like, HEY LOOK LISTEN!!! awww good times:)

So I was playing OOT and collecting fairies in bottles and I realised that I had a fairy with me at all times in the form of Navi so why is it that she can't use her fairy magic to keep me nice and healthy? And the other fairy companions as well?

Ps sorry if this is in the wrong place its my first post
I think navi could heal you but like any other fairy would just disappear after use and not allowed you to z target

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom