• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Can't I Use Deku Sticks As an Adult?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flute Boy

ganon slayer
this is like a pet peeve of mine, why is it adult link cannot use deku sticks as an adult? are adults banned from life if they pick up a stick? i mean, god forbid i light a stick on fire to light a torch right over here! i also wonder why adult link can't use the boomerang? i understand the sheild and sword, and i even understand the slingshot, but why can't i use deku sticks and a boomerang?!

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
It's just Nintendo. They wanted you to have to go to Young Link if you wanted to use those items. They just wanted to keep the game interesting. Plus, there were items in the future that acted as the before ones did. Plus plus, I've always wondered that too, so I have no idea why I'm responding to this o_O

I really don't get it either, but then again, playing with sticks seems a bit childish...
What I'm more annoyed by is in... Majora's Mask... WHY CAN'T I USE DEKU STICKS AS A DEKU?!!!
What annoyed me even more... why didn't Deku Link shoot out Deku Nuts instead of bubbles. It would make more sense...

Two reasons. First, using a stick as an item or a weapon is a child-like idea, same with the Boomerang (real boomerangs are actually toys) and Slingshot (same), so they simply made all child-like weapons only available to Young Link.

The second is the unpopular "it's a video game" sort. Basically, it's for design reasons. The Slingshot is replaced by the Bow. The Boomerang is essentially upgraded to the Hookshot (which, at least against enemies, does the same thing: stun them). And the Deku Sticks are basically removed to make the torch puzzles (which are also a little child-like if you think about it) more complex, or in some cases remove them entirely. The only torch puzzle I can recall after the Master Sword is acquired, actually, is in the Forest Temple where you have to shoot an arrow through a torch to melt some ice.

What annoyed me even more... why didn't Deku Link shoot out Deku Nuts instead of bubbles. It would make more sense...
Deku Link drops Deku Nuts, but only while flying and they actually consume his Deku Nut stock. I also think the idea of spit bubbles or loogies done like that are a bit of a stylized thing over in Japan. While I might be mistaken, I'm pretty sure of that, so maybe that's one reason for it. They also probably wanted to give him a more harmless attack since he was only a Deku.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Two reasons. First, using a stick as an item or a weapon is a child-like idea, same with the Boomerang (real boomerangs are actually toys) and Slingshot (same), so they simply made all child-like weapons only available to Young Link.

The second is the unpopular "it's a video game" sort. Basically, it's for design reasons. The Slingshot is replaced by the Bow. The Boomerang is essentially upgraded to the Hookshot (which, at least against enemies, does the same thing: stun them). And the Deku Sticks are basically removed to make the torch puzzles (which are also a little child-like if you think about it) more complex, or in some cases remove them entirely. The only torch puzzle I can recall after the Master Sword is acquired, actually, is in the Forest Temple where you have to shoot an arrow through a torch to melt some ice.

Deku Link drops Deku Nuts, but only while flying and they actually consume his Deku Nut stock. I also think the idea of spit bubbles or loogies done like that are a bit of a stylized thing over in Japan. While I might be mistaken, I'm pretty sure of that, so maybe that's one reason for it. They also probably wanted to give him a more harmless attack since he was only a Deku.

Aw man, axel took just about everything I was about to say on the adult link and deku stick matter.

OotLord1003

Young Link
He's too awesome to use stick, but also if girls found out that link uses a STICK??? they woul'dt like him

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan

Expanding on Axle's point about the child aspect to the items. Didn't Miyamoto design the Zelda series based on his experiences as a child, with this in mind it makes sense that the child part of OoT has the items that Miyamoto would have been more likely to have used sticks as a child while diversing in his own imaginary world. Although, I could never imagine an adult these days picking up a stick and pretending to use it as a weapon, unless they have some sort of mental illness or they are genuinely using the stick as a weapon.
Although, the boomerang has me stuck. Boomerangs were first used by aboriginal Australians hundreds of years ago, they were used not by children but by the men who went out to hunt wild Kangeroo or Wallaby or whatever it is that they would have eaten. With this in mind I con only say that they didn't want the Boomerang as part fo the adult timeline so that Link could focus using the Bow and the Hookshot.

Although, the boomerang has me stuck. Boomerangs were first used by aboriginal Australians hundreds of years ago, they were used not by children but by the men who went out to hunt wild Kangeroo or Wallaby or whatever it is that they would have eaten. With this in mind I con only say that they didn't want the Boomerang as part fo the adult timeline so that Link could focus using the Bow and the Hookshot.
That's not entirely true. While the boomerang was occasionally used for hunting, the variety that come back (the ones used in Zelda) were never used for killing prey. The most they would ever be used for is distraction. The rest of the time they were little more than toys, especially once they were used outside of Australia.

There were variants of boomerangs that were used as weapons, like the large kylie which were designed to kill animals and did not come back. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom