• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Why Can Link Hold a Hylian Shield As a Kid in Mm, but Link in Oot Cant?

It's wierd, because in Oot, Link can't hold the hylian shield as a kid, but in Mm, Link can hold the hylian shield as a kid.Wha t do you guys think about that? Why do you think Link can only hold the hylian shield as a kid in Mm?

Pen

The game is on!
Firstly, Link in MM is probably a little older than young Link in OoT. Secondly, the shield in MM is not a Hylian Shield, it's called the Hero's Shield and doesn't look quite like the Hylian Shield. :)

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
As Pendio said, the shield in Majora's Mask is in fact the Hero's Shield, not the Hylian Shield. Link's ability to hold the Hero's Shield one-handed is most likely attributed to Link's having more battle prowess (being Hero of Time has its merits), as well as the shield being made to fit -- the Hylian Shield in OoT really was made for an adult, not for a child.

Ghirahimiscool

Cucco Butt
I don't know why. Its really weird. Link is a bit older in MM than in OoT as a kid. So he might be stronger.

octorok74

TETTAC
Perhaps Link wasn't trained to use it right til after the events of OoT. Or perhaps he got sick of having to become a turtle and he decided to hold it like a big kid.

Lord Vain

Dawn of a New Day
In my opinion somewhere between the events of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask Link likely grew older and also became tall enough to use the larger shield, he is a Hylian after all, they age and grow unlike the Kokiri which inhabit the forest he came from. Also, the shield in Majora's Mask is known as the "Hero's Shield", so there is a good chance the Hylian Shield was lost somewhere down the line in his search for Navi and as such Link wound up acquiring this other shield which he then used throughout Majora's Mask up until he got the Mirror Shield in said game.

Last edited:
Why can young Link ride Epona in Majora's Mask but not in Ocarina of Time?

I'm assuming it's for the same reason, on behalf of the developers preferences. For ease of constructing gameplay and whatnot without over-thinking it. It's not really, like, a detail that should be nit-picked over, I wouldn't think. Just... a small inconsistency for the game's sake. Or... you could simply say a wizard did it and move on. Yeah.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Yeah, the shield link uses in Majora's Mask is not the Hylian Shield. But I do wonder where it came from. A gift, perhaps? From Zelda or the Royal Family?

Isn't the sword supposed to be the Kokiri Sword? It doesn't even look the same. Perhaps Link returned the one he found in the Maze of Z (or L) and he was given another with the same name?

As for Link being able to ride Epona? Link does appear to be at least a couple of years older in MM (it's not very visible in game, but rather in Link's portrayal. His skills seemed to have advanced somewhat after his previous adventures anyway.) Perhaps now Epona is a bit older and larger as well, enough to bear a small rider like Link?

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
It was because of a difference in gameplay. In OoT, you could go to the future where as in MM, you can't, so to have only a burnable shield would be somewhat annoying. Also, for OoT, it was used for blocking above attacks such as the boulders near the top of Death Mountain. You would need a different sheild holding style for that while for MM, such a thing was not needed.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I think that Majoras Mask Link is not only more experienced than OoT Link but he is also known as a hero or in a sense he has the spirit of a hero...

Another thing as well is that the Hylian Shield was never in MM it was known as the Hero's Shield and since he has the spirit of a hero is able to weild the Hero's Shield :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom