• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Aren't These Temples More Templey?

I think these temples used to be like normal temples but then the presence of Ganon's (or the other main villian's) evil magic changed them. That explains why in OoT the blocks always have the Gerudo symbol on them, and in MM the blocks have a picture of Majora's mask on them. Why else would these temples be filled with so many traps?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Well you see, when I was a little boy...

anyway, I think the temples are named "temple" just for the hell of it, at least within Ocarina of Time. I don't think they prayed or anything within, otherwise there would be more ornate decorations and things that at the very least allude to such behaviors. That's my stance.

felipe970421

Mardek Innanu El-Enkidu
Actually, many temples are temple-y, the forest temple is a hall with two courtyards and a secret place for rituals (boss location), the fire temple seems nice enough to the gorons based on the goron mines, the water temple and lakebed temple can also follow that previous logic, the spirit temple is very temple-y, but the main worship room is very protected and the entrances are blocked, justified in that Twinrova could go up take the gauntlets and then the Gerudo proceed to the main worship room, it even has a secret chamber to boot, the shadow temple is not a temple at all, the TP's temple of time isn't either, the temples in ST are not actual places of worship, but just homes of the beacons, the temple of the ocean king has a main hall and the rest is dungeon, the fire/wind/courage temples are not very temple-t, but if you use your imagination... the other temples in PH are less temple-y, but keep in mind the pyramid one is more of a deathtrap (was that one even a temple?) and that those are not places of worship either, they are housing the pure metals

That's all the temples I can recall from the games I've played, a vast majorty of them try to at least have a main worship room, I have no idea abut the temples in the other games though

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
A temple isn't necessarily a place of worship (though it usually is), it could simply be a place where something sacred dwells.
"Greek temenos sacred enclosure, literally: a place cut off, from temnein to cut."
"any place or object in which God dwells, as the body of a Christian. I Cor. 6:19."
"any place or object regarded as a shrine where God makes himself present, esp the body of a person who has been sanctified or saved by grace"
(Admittedly it probably doesn't have this same meaning in Japanese, but that would require much more research.)

The temples contain links to the Sacred Realm. As such, I think they were deliberately constructed with obstacles in order to keep the SR sacred, or "a place cut off". When evil started flowing from the temples, no doubt the they became even more dangerous for Link, with the addition of monsters and perhaps more puzzles. So I think you're half-right.

oracleofcanada

never give in brohams!
the temples could ave been more "templey" ya it'd be cool, but from a design stand point it would never work

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Temples are not just places of worship, they can also be a place where something sacred is held. The traps were obviously so that the sacred items could be protected from intruders. As for why the Gerudo symbol is on them, it's probably the work of that Ganondorf chap. Why not blame him like everybody else does in OOT?

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I agree. I think they were temples as we'd define them before Ganondorf comes along. Saria mentions "spirits of the forest" in OoT when she explains why she goes to the Forest Temple. They need help because they have been messed up by evil forces.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I agree. I think they were temples as we'd define them before Ganondorf comes along. Saria mentions "spirits of the forest" in OoT when she explains why she goes to the Forest Temple. They need help because they have been messed up by evil forces.

I think that perhaps the fire temple, and spirit temple would have indeed been places of worship at least a while ago. The spirit temple however became a hideout for Ganondorf and the Fire temple then got attacked by a dragon, BUT places like the shadow temple would have been temples by the definition of 'a place where something sacred is held' rather than a place of worship. The place is a torture chamber designed to keep people out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom