• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Aren't There More Spiritual Stones?

PapilioTempesta

Tots Som Pops
Hello everyone!

Right, the thread title is not exactly what I meant... I know there are three spiritual stones because there are three goddesses and such. but the question would be, if not why aren't more of them, why are they in power of whom they are? :S

Better say: why do the Kokiri, the Goron and the Zora have the stones?

The sacred realm is in Hylian territory, and since the Triforce is a relic sacred to all live forms, it's fair that the keys to unlock its location are scattered through the world. Notice also that there is a fourth and fifth key, the ocarina of time and the song itself, both of them in the hands of the Royal Family.

But besides working as keys to the Sacred Realm, I don't think the Spiritual sotnes have further use -ruto actually comments it's her pretty stone she plays with. If this is its only function, why aren't more of them for the other races? Or why don't the other races have a stone instead? What of the Gerudo, the Sheikah, the Bublins, the Bokoblins, the Kikwi, the Deku, the Twili, the Mogma...

And I'm going to anticipate some of your answers by saying:

-The bublins and bokoblins are evil creatures, no way they get a Stone... WRONG. The nature of the race hardly has anything to do; we often see both the Zora and the Goron being hostile, even if eventually they become friendly.

-The kikwi... maybe (or surely) they were extint before the temple of time and the gems themselves where even created... But this only confirms that the stones where created by the Hylians, not by the goddesses, and that their function is unlocking the Sacred Realm -which means its number was irrelevant.

-The deku... OK, I'd accept that they do have the stone, since it's the Great Deku Tree who has it. But this could lead to discuss why only one deku has it, and why is he alone and even have deku bullying him from the inside?

-The twilis are in their own dimension, and not to be trusted. OK.

-The Mogma... well, what I said about the Kikwit.

Well then... Any thoughts?

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I don't have a valid reason, but I'm kind of guessing it might have to do with something archetypal. 3 is an archetypal number, and from what I've viewed so far, the Zelda series has a lot of archetypes in it (Hero, Beast, Shadow, Sage, etc).

And also: Fire, Water, and Earth are common elements seen in video games, same as Green, Blue, and Red being common colors.

PapilioTempesta

Tots Som Pops
Nah, I understand why Nintendo did it; just as you said, it's archetypal, three is a good number to make something sound mystical (three goddesses, three stones, three-forces!). And they give all the other races some notoriety with the sages and the medalions. I don't really care about Nintendo's reasons for doing it (as if they needed a reason at all... hey, it's Nintendo we're talking about. We're lucky if something in the games make sense).

What I'd like to discuss about is, within the story itself, is Who did the stones; Why only three; and Why did they give them to the Gorons, the Zora and the Kokiri. what is it, do all these races think themselves better than the others I mentioned before? (Justice and égalité for all the Races in Hyrule! :lol:)

HylianHero

Gardener of Elysium
Well, we have to consider just the races in Ocarina of Time, unless you're saying that it doesn't matter if there is a retcon.

In OoT, there are only three races in Hyrule at the time, so they get the stones. If other races had been alive at the time, they might have gotten a stone too. The only races in OoT that didn't have a stone (besides the Hylians) are the Deku and the Gerudo. I think the Deku don't get a stone because they are a nation-less nation. They, unlike in MM, have no leader, no form of government, and no land or country to call theirs. And the Gerudo most likely don't get a stone because of racial stereotyping by the Hylians. They don't want to trust a race of thieves with a valuable and sacred item, and I don't think the Gerudo would particularly care to look after a stone for the Hylians.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
What HylianHero said. Also, I always thought it had a lot to do with the war mentioned before OoT, where the races were warring over the triforce. I think the Hylian Royal Family (as the main rulers of the whole of Hyrule, not the individual areas) gave each race involved in the war a stone. I doubt the Kokiri's were involved in the war as they were just children; also, the forest is where Link's mother took shelter from the war, so it's indicated they weren't involved at all. The Gerudo are a separate race, sure, but they also have their own King (Ganondorf). It's kind of indicated that they either live in a separate country or at least have a very different culture, so the royal family doesn't rule them. They are forming an alliance with them though, at the start of OoT (or that's what Ganondorf tells the King, anyway).

ILU

i luv u
I like the theory that they were used in the war... It would make sense, wouldn't it? The story was that the king unified the land... what better way to ensure peace than to work toward a common goal? If they are all working together to maintain peace by protecting the Door of Time, then they will be more likely to be at peace among each other.

I always liked that Darunia and the King of Hyrule were sworn brothers. To be included in that brotherhood was special to me. But there wasn't much said for King Zora Do Bon XVI or for the Great Deku Tree. I would question why the Sheikah weren't given one since they protect the Royal Family, but maybe that IS the reason- they're already loyal and don't need to be bribed with pretty stones.

Personally though, I think it's because each region has a god there. A lesser god, mind you, but still a god/guardian ("guardian god" as King Zora says). Jabu Jabu is the Zora's god or "patron deity" as a Zora mentions. The Great Deku Tree mentions in the beginning of the game that he is the forest's guardian, and he literally creates the Kokiri. When it comes to the Goron's, it's hard to say. Valoo is a guardian/god or "Sky Spirit" and is descended from Volvagia... even though Volvagia is an antagonist in OoT, perhaps he was originally a guardian as well, long before the Goron Hero killed him. Or maybe one of Volvagia's ancestors were.

And then you have Hylia who is (was) the god for the Hylians. So, three guardians/races have special stones used to seal the Door of Time. And then one guardian/race has the last piece (the ocarina). And I associate the ocarina with the Hylian's deity since it's suggested to be made of the same material that Timeshift Stones are made of, so I would assume it'd come from around Hylia's time.

....I dunno, I'm just rambling.

PapilioTempesta

Tots Som Pops
I agree with you all :)

It makes sense that the stones are part of a peace treaty, bonding the races of Hyrule, and those who keep the better part of it (two of the keys -ocarina and song- and the temple of time itself) were the winning side of the war.

A thought here; if Ganondorf's alliance had been for real and not just a way to get access to the Triforce, maybe the Gerudo would have achieved a stone of their own...

So, the reason why there are three stones, no more, no less is: Hylian Politics! XD (quite predictable, though...)

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
There aren't more spiritual stones because that would require more effort and more money. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom