• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Aren't Temples Places For Worship?

HeroOfTime

Challenger Approaching!
Thought so. I personally believe they were (for the most part) palaces for the evil demons, monsters, etc. that lived there. Or to house the weapon that it contained. Possibly it was some relic? Like the Goron hammer in OoT. Or, as mentioned by others, it was to lock up the boss it contained.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Referring to the "Shrine" comment. That would explain the Goron Hammer and the Hero's Bow in OOT and TP they were sacred artifacts of the race so they enshrined them in their holy place. Also none of the Temples were evil places. But evil did creep in. Heck in OOT we literally saw Bongo Bongo take over the Shadow Temple and defeat Impa.

Has no one thought that these temples are in fact locations of spiritual importance because in OOT, Saria entered the Forest Temple to aid the Forest Spirits and awaken as a Sage of the Forest. Each Temple to me seems to be in the most empiric of spiritual locations for each race of people.

I agree with this. That's what I said in my post, but this has actually given some more depth to the whole thing. Maybe, like each part of the Triforce goes to the one who thinks of it as the most necessary(Ganon=Power;Zelda=Wisdom;Link=Courage), each race must have its own quality that can be considered sacred, and then they made their temples based on an element that represents this same quality(that's why I cited the Sheikah-Secrecy thing). Maybe what we see inside the Temples(or what these places where like before they where turned into Temples) are representions of the quality best represented by the temple's element. I think that the races that usually go to their respective temple consider this same quality as the most important to them, and they can even have made the temples like that to alude to events that remember then from their prized quality.

Wow, many redundances here. Hope you guys understand! :(

Well, maybe not all of that are right, but who am i to tell? :ghirahim:

Some years ago, i've seen a post that had some deep analysis on the temples, so it would actually be usefull here.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Well if you think about the Kokiri are Innocent, Gorons are highly passionate, Zoras are Thoughtful creatures, they are prone to think more than the other races. The Shiekah work in Shadows and Secrecy and the Gerudo are strong of spirit to endure the desert

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Temples to me have always seemed like places that the Gods created for Link to prove himself and earn the Triforce. Occasionally, such as in the first 2 dungeons of Wind Waker, as well as the Forsaken Fortress, temples are natural landscapes, so I guess they are more like dungeons.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Rep we aren't on about dungeons but temples like the Wind Temple and Earth Temple in WW. Those places do seem like proving grounds for the sage and or link but Dragon Roost and Forbidden Woods i wouldn't even class as Dungeons just two hazardous places link is forced to go to. Damn Deku Tree and damn Komali expecting poor ol link to climb volcanoes and get to the heart of a dangerous wood where a stupid ass korok got lost.

TheRockinStallion

If I'm not back in 15 minutes, just wait longer!
Didn't we cover that already? I'M A DUDE!
From what I've seen, a lot of rooms within some temples, usually the boss room itself, seem like they could have been built for certain kinds of ceremonies and rituals. Since the races of the inhabitants of the area are varied, their needs would have to be met with whatever the building contains.

Temples to me have always seemed like places that the Gods created for Link to prove himself and earn the Triforce. Occasionally, such as in the first 2 dungeons of Wind Waker, as well as the Forsaken Fortress, temples are natural landscapes, so I guess they are more like dungeons.

Maybe the temples were built for this reason too. I will not give up on saying that they were, maybe, simbolizing some quality that can be represented by the element that gives name to the Temple, but now i'm pretty sure that they could be made with these intentions you said.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Like Repentence said, I think they were built as places for Link to prove himself, or atleast they were built in the mind of “The hero” having to go through it to grow mentally and physically. I'm not sure if the Gods actually built them, maybe they sent divine visions urging people to build them, but that's all.

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
Spiritual Mask Salesman said:
Like Repentence said, I think they were built as places for Link to prove himself, or atleast they were built in the mind of “The hero” having to go through it to grow mentally and physically. I'm not sure if the Gods actually built them, maybe they sent divine visions urging people to build them, but that's all.

This may be true, but there are also a few examples of temples being used at least partially for worship. In particular, Kaepora Gaebora in OoT mentions that the Zoras worship the water spirits at the Water Temple. Furthermore, the Earth and Wind Sages in WW pray in their respective temples.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom