• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why are the hermet crabs in the desert in SS so angry?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Watts up guys. I saw a proposition for this thread idea in the SB by @Satan Claus so I thought I would get it made.

The 'angry' electrical hermit crabs in question are called Ampilus. Possibly the amp part of their name comes from ampere, the unit of electrical current. As these creatures are able to generate electricity.

Fi comments that they have been around for eons and can live to be very old.

When Link approaches them they retreat into their charged shells and roll at him. This may lead one to ask the question. Why these creatures are so angry?

Ampilus have been around for eons and this is because their strategy works. It's kept them alive long enough to successfully reproduce. Earlier on during this creatures evolution, its aggressive ancestors defended themselves and survived to pass on their genes to the next generation who also became aggressive. The passive ancestors on the other hand would have succumbed to hunting or predation, ensuring that their genes were never passed on.

The ampilus is not angry as such but is simply protecting itself in the only way it knows how. And then you have Link who has no respect for wildlife. He is approaching these creatures that simply don't want to be approached and triggering their instinctive defence strategy to roll at him. He then slays them cutting short their potentially very long and fulfilling lives.

This could all be avoided had link simply respected these creatures personal space and given them a wide berth.

I remember when my sister made me replay Skyward Sword over winter break one year, she played madlibs using whatever was happening on screen as the words, and these were called "temperamental hermit crabs." My sister badly describing things and madlibs adventures were more motivating than anything the game ever did, even if I still didn't make it through the playthrough, lol.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Will edit post later. I have big T H O U G H T S™ on this matter!

Edit: The Crabs aren't angry at all - they are the personification of the player's state of mind towards the game.

What is the common outlook of the Forum about Skyward Sword? It sucks! Suckward Sword is the official ZD title of this game, and rightfully so. The majority of us are angry at the game for reasons we won't go in depth on here. Consequently, our resentment towards the game is subconsciously attributed to the Crabs in the desert.

We say the crabs are angry, but they are not angry, not even at Link. They simple do what all other monsters in the game do, attack first, probably as a defense mechanism. We can't blame the crabs, we must blame evolution.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom