• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Are No Zelda Characters Ever in Mario Kart or Mario Party Games?

Mario and Zelda are different franchises... So that means there are only Mario characters from the Mario universe in those games.

In Majora's Mask they have a Mario mask in the Mask guys bag if you look. So they could hint at Zelda somehow in the games.

The characters in Mario Kart and Mario party are related to the Mario games, while Zelda is a canon of its own. This is the same reaon you don't see characters from Star Fox, Metroid, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Ice Climber, Kirby, F-Zero, Mother, Golden Sun, Animal Crossing, Pikmin, etc. in Mario Kart/Party games.
That said, I would not be opposed to adding characters from other franchises into the Mario Kart and Mario Party games, although it does kind of look funny when I picture the Zelda characters riding go-carts.

Last edited:

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
People keep saying it's Mario Kart so it only has Mario characters. What do you call the Donkey Kong Franchise. Yes, Donkey Kong and Mario starred in a video game together, well actually that was Cranky Kong not Donkey, but still Mario Party/Kart games could easily feature other franchises. I personally think this would give them more sales due to more diverse characters (which isn't too important for the kart series but still fun), more diverse maps (Just think about it. Racing on carts through Termina, Hyrule Castle, Gerudo Valley, etc.!), and maybe even more diverse items (This could even be just customizing items for different characters. For example instead of a bomb-omb Link would get his classic bombs.) And as for the party games, you could easily have mini games based off the Zelda or other franchises.

I think it would be smart for Nintendo to do this as I have not bought a Mario party game since Mario Party 3 for the N64 since they really are about the same. That's about 6 games they have failed to sell to a very avid Nintendo fan.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
There's the stereotypical answer that Mario games only have Mario characters. I believe that too but I think its been said enough that I don't have to go into detail.

Another reason is that Nintendo is scared to really experiment with their games ESPECIALLY with the Zelda franchise. I've said this like 20 times in the last month and I'm gonna say it again, we Zelda fans have a stereotype about us. It is said we will not like something if it is different. Nintendo would not want to lose us by doing something that drastically different.

Also, when you think about it, the thought of karting itself does not really soot the atmosphere of Zelda. Mario can do whatever he wants because the atmosphere of Mario is a crazy world with no rules and we like it like that. Zelda has rules. Doing all the crazy things Mario does with no explanation would go completely against the atmosphere Zelda has built up with itself.

Try to see it from this point of view, you may like it but others wouldn't. Nintendo does things with Zelda that will be pleasing as a whole to the Zelda fans as well as bring in new fans. They don't want to do things that a good amount of fans will rage about. What if someone suggested making Zelda an FPS? Or making Zelda RTS? Someone may like it, but a good chunk most likely wouldn't.

Things like cameos in fighting games, and side games like "Link's Crossbow Training" is fine as we all know they are non canon AND they fit the atmosphere of Zelda. (An adventure game about a swordsman). But Link really has no reason to jump on a kart and race. Don't get me wrong, if it ever happened I would be the first to get it but for those reasons (plus the whole Mario character argument) is why I don't want it to happen and why Nintendo won't do it.

Nerion

Nerion Saiarion
Zelda is a totaly different series. The reason Donkey Kong is in there is because he and Mario has always been connected just like DK and JumpMan (Mario)

ZeldaAllDay

Fierce Deity
Becuase it MARIOkart and MARIO party, they use only mario based characters. If it was Nintendo kart or something like that then yes, zelda characters and other nintendo characters would be in it.

bkelly458

Just Some Dude
Yeah, like a lot of people have said... it IS Mario Party/ Kart, after all. The reason other "franchises" appear in the Mario spin-off games is because they all started with Mario at some point (Donkey Kong, Wario, Yoshi, etc.)

That being said, I've always found it a little weird seeing Diddy Kong in some Mario games. He's apart of the Donkey Kong franchise imo, not Mario. Just because DK is started in the Mario Universe doesn't mean the Mario & Donkey Kong franchises are connected close enough to allow Diddy in Mario games. I wouldn't expect to see Luigi in Diddy Kong Racing. But idk... perhaps that's just me.

E

Errorman

Then I have a reasonable question to that. Why is Donkey Kong included in most of those games? He in fact has his own series called Donkey Kong Country. That said Mario is not to Donkey Kong he is a totally different character. So I don't think you can say mario is to mario because it isn't. Other characters are included to mario games that aren't related to mario. It wouldn't hurt for nintendo to try things out and sometimes that is how great titles are made by trial. That is just my thought on the whole thing.

Then I have a reasonable question to that. Why is Donkey Kong included in most of those games? He in fact has his own series called Donkey Kong Country. That said Mario is not to Donkey Kong he is a totally different character. So I don't think you can say mario is to mario because it isn't. Other characters are included to mario games that aren't related to mario. It wouldn't hurt for nintendo to try things out and sometimes that is how great titles are made by trial. That is just my thought on the whole thing.

But Donkey Kong is related to the Mario games, though. DO you know what Nintendo's first game ever was? That's right. Donkey Kong. Do you know who the main character was? BINGO! It was Mario.
As I said before, I am not opposed to character from unrelated franchises being in Mario games, but the argument you have presented here is kind of moot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom