• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Are "Monsters" Classified as Such?

Draymorath

Destroyer of Destruction
Something I've been thinking about recently is the idea of classifying specific races and animals in the Zelda universe as "monsters". Take the Bokoblins in Breath of the Wild for example; they make tools, they have a (primitive) culture, they interact with one another in meaningful ways. So what makes them any different from, say, Gorons, or Zoras on a fundamental level? Or in the case of animals, how are Keese any different classification-wise from the bears or wolves that will also attack you?

I'll be focusing mainly on the intelligent monsters, since that's a bit more of a questionable ethical issue, but feel free to speak freely about the particular issue of animal-type-monsters in the replies.

If it is just that they serve Ganon, then would that may make some sense, as the Yiga Clan, which were once members of the Sheikah, are considered monsters in the game. But I feel like simply dehumanizing them in that way; calling them monsters rather than just another race that happens to serve the enemy, may be a bit immoral. Also, can we really (reasonably) assume that enemies such as Keese are serving Ganon when they seem to lack the intelligence to do so?

I won't call into question whether it's right to kill them or not, seeing as they are immediately hostile towards you, but actions such as cooking their parts might be seen as wrong given their obvious intelligence. And one could also question whether or not there is a better way, some way to possibly communicate with and reason with them. One example of this can be found in Twilight Princess, wherein King Bulbin eventually comes to respect Link's strength and leaves Ganondorf's side, making his peace with Hyrule. King Bulbin was capable of speech and reasoning on a human level, meaning it may very well be possible for other, similar enemies, throughout the series.

So realistically, we can't exactly do such things as reason with the enemies in a video game. I'm not trying to say, "Hey, we should reason with these artificial programmed characters on a screen!" but rather that perhaps they aren't so different from the other artificial programmed characters on a screen that are classified as other races (or animals), or whether it would be so crazy for someone in-universe to try to reason with them instead of simply classifying them in such a dehumanizing way (and perhaps that that very classification may or may not be the reason that they are enemies of Hyrule in the first place). One just has to wonder...

I see monsters are being like Digimon.

They aren't made of organic matter and return to that when they die.

They aren't actually born, they just get "made" or "re-made".

They aren't divided by gender, all of them could technically be male.

Their level of intelligence varies.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
The whole reason why they're labelled monsters is because of the way they look. Their intelligence has nothing to do with it I suppose. Monsters are very capable of building their own forts, tools and even cook their own meals. It's just the way they look. And they don't communicate with you except sometimes for a member of the Yiga clan. I wouldn't think too much about it. It's just a part of the game.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Demise/Ganon is the source of all monsters. Any creature that has Ganon as it's origin is a monster. That would include Blins, Guay, Lizalfos, Keese e.t.c it has nothing to do with intelligence. It is the behaviour of the less intelligent monsters such as Guay and Keese who leave bokoblins alone but attack link or even poop on him out of pure malice,that indicates these aren't just territorial creatures trying to get by but actual monsters.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Demise/Ganon is the source of all monsters. Any creature that has Ganon as it's origin is a monster. That would include Blins, Guay, Lizalfos, Keese e.t.c it has nothing to do with intelligence. It is the behaviour of the less intelligent monsters such as Guay and Keese who leave bokoblins alone but attack link or even poop on him out of pure malice,that indicates these aren't just territorial creatures trying to get by but actual monsters.

What about Cucco?

Aku

Would Stalhorses be considered 'monsters?' They aren't interested in hurting you (and are quite friendly once tamed) but they are skeletal horses that can only come out at night...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom