• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why a log? (Oracle of seasons)

In oos, why does link need to stand on a log in orcle of seasons in order to activate the power of the rod ? It only said when you got it that to get maximum power from it to stand on a log not you need to stand on a log.
How oculd this work...?

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
I'm almost sure that is only for gameplay reasons, if you could change seasons anywhere, the Rod of Seasons would be too good...
That way they made it practical, but not abusively good

Maybe. But what if they did it so certain areas were high land, so you could use it on any high land, suc as on top of those small cliffs, but on low land, or should I say ground level, you needed a log ?

Maybe it needed to be high up, pointing to the sky, where the godesses would activate its power for the weilder ?

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
Maybe because he had to be in Tune with the Nature while asking the power of the goddesses(it is surely their power that makes the seasons change)

true. But with grass all around him, how could he fail to be in tune with it ? i think your theory is right, though, SK, other wise he oculd use it in subrosia.

C

Cevian

I think it does have to do with nature. Out of all of the common types of plants trees are the ones that live through all the seasons, so it's logical that a tree would be the focus of the Rod's power. The stump aspect is probably so that Link is closer to the heart of the tree itself.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
true. But with grass all around him, how could he fail to be in tune with it ? i think your theory is right, though, SK, other wise he oculd use it in subrosia.

I don't think that Subrosia has seasons, actually, I believe that Subrosia is not another dimension... I think it is the inner earth

I think it does have to do with nature. Out of all of the common types of plants trees are the ones that live through all the seasons, so it's logical that a tree would be the focus of the Rod's power. The stump aspect is probably so that Link is closer to the heart of the tree itself.

That would work, if the heart of a tree counted as the heart of nature.

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
That would work, if the heart of a tree counted as the heart of nature.

I like the idea that a tree should be considered as the heart of nature, I love trees. I think it was awesome that you had to find a log to use the rod, it was an important aspect of the game and it would not have been as fun if you could use the rod everywhere.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
I like the idea that a tree should be considered as the heart of nature, I love trees. I think it was awesome that you had to find a log to use the rod, it was an important aspect of the game and it would not have been as fun if you could use the rod everywhere.

That would have been too broken... It would be the same in MC if you could shrink/grow up anywhere/anytime...

Anyways, I don't think I ever made such a big deal...

The most reasonable explanation is that it is there for gameplay issues,period:wave:

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff

I agree with Cevian, it just makes perfect sense to me. Logs don't necessarily change from season to season since they are dead trees. They are also realistically abundant enough to be spread across the land.

Plus, it just fits Zelda. Ever since A Link to the Past, logs and forests have always been a stable in the Zelda games. The flute boy in A Link to the Past, the numerous logs in Ocarina of Time, and even the Minish Cap had something similar to transform from regular Link to Minish Link. Just Nintendo's obsession with logs I guess.

Kybyrian

Who ever said that you needed to be elevated to use it? You were speaking of high land earlier and something about using it there or something. Well, possibly there is just something with the stump, such as the stumps all over the place are just something special and the rod of seasons draws power from the stump somehow.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
Trees are the children of the earth, even when dead they are a connection to the earth itself. The magic that the earth produces is put into a tree and when it has been cut down all that is left is a connection to the earth with no tree to give it's magic to. That's my two cents ;)

Johnny Boy

Doctor JB!
Nintendo probably added the feature of the log so
the players could not abuse the Rod of Seasons.
This would make the game a little more challenging
and possibly changing the plot of the game.

I agree with Cevian, it just makes perfect sense to me. Logs don't necessarily change from season to season since they are dead trees. They are also realistically abundant enough to be spread across the land.

Plus, it just fits Zelda. Ever since A Link to the Past, logs and forests have always been a stable in the Zelda games. The flute boy in A Link to the Past, the numerous logs in Ocarina of Time, and even the Minish Cap had something similar to transform from regular Link to Minish Link. Just Nintendo's obsession with logs I guess.

Mayhap. But log obsession? No. I think they just thought to stick with the logs because, well....Zelda games seem to be set around a sort of medieval time. So, Back then, there were settlements and towns, but not so many, There were more trees back then. So maybe Nintendo thought to highlight that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom