• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why a Beetle?

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
Why not a beetle? I think it's clever. They probably had the idea for what it could do, and thought how a Beetle-like object was able to fulfill this idea. This sort of thing has been done before. If anyone here ever watched the Aladdin TV series, they should know what I mean.
And this concept also works. I hawk simply wouldn't fit as an item. I mean, sure you could have it like in TP where certain locations you could call one up, but perhaps this item is needed quite often? Then you couldn't just do that. Here you can use it anywhere. Plus, I think this idea is better than the hawk. It's more magical and less realistic (not that getting a hawk to get an item for you is overly realistic) and that's what I want in a Zelda game.

TheHeroOfLime

Excelling in Mediocrity
Yeah, as long as its a magical beetle not some complex flying device im ok with it. Besides, maybe it will be like the oracle games where you get a flute and get one of three partners. If that was the case the beetle could be your minion (or partner), flying around and getting you stuff.(plus, Moosh could make a comeback! :) )

well I actually don't care if its a complex mechanical device (don't get me wrong I like to see magic in Zelda, but not everything has to be run by it)

T

the knight

motleylink, miyamoto mentioned the eye door came from children using there finger in a circular motion to hypnotising beetles (this a random fact)

is the beetle is taken from a massive beetle maybe you stab the spots or cut of the wings?

I like the beetle by the way

FlatxSharp

Music to last through the ages
I get what Con-man is saying. He means, if Link is going to have something help him, he deserves something more epic than a bug. Why a beetle? Should Link, LINK have like, a dragon, or a flying shark hepling him out? Lol. Isn't that the reason why he turned into a wolf in the TP and not...like, a frog? Link is awsome, he should have something awsome accompany him.

But, I also understand the significance of a beetle.

Con-man

Master Swordsman
I get what Con-man is saying. He means, if Link is going to have something help him, he deserves something more epic than a bug. Why a beetle? Should Link, LINK have like, a dragon, or a flying shark hepling him out? Lol. Isn't that the reason why he turned into a wolf in the TP and not...like, a frog? Link is awsome, he should have something awsome accompany him.

But, I also understand the significance of a beetle.

Thank you FlatxSharp, that is exactly what I was trying to say. I mean c'mon, beetles ARE NOT EPIC. It's just like the Golden Cucco in TP, it's like wha? Man if Nintendo gave Link a deranged monkey as a sidekick, the Zelda fans would find some way to justify it, oh wait they already did that. Lol

I just think Nintendo does some pretty weird things sometimes, but hey, it has worked for them so far.

Still though, I guess the beetle does look awesome, for a beetle.

FlatxSharp

Music to last through the ages
I mean c'mon, beetles ARE NOT EPIC.

BUT, you also have to realize that most of Zelda is about a boy who you would think simply didn't have the ability to accomplish anything as grand as saving the land of Hyrule. Zelda is about un-epic things accomplishing the impossible. If Link was a body builder who already could kill anything in his path, the game wouldn't be as amazing. It's the little things like a beetle and fairies and golden hens that accomplish arduouse feats that make us think, "Wow...Link truly is a baddass."

I don't have any problem with a beetle. In my head, It's much more interesting than a completely clichéd hawk or eagle. But I guess these are a few reasons to choose the beetle:

1. It has two big claws in front of it, so it can grab some big stuff, like bombs or rocks.
2. A beetle flies slowly, since it's an insect, and it has to be this way because we wouldn't be able to do stuff correctly if it flyed too fast. I can't really imagine a bird flying that slowly.
3. Thank God it's not a butterfly! :lol:

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
Well, it's a beetle the size of your head, gotta love that. Plus, a hawk's already been done, in TP. And what else could they do? A Pidgey :P

ZeldaHam

Some Skyloftian Guy
What's wrong with a Beetle? Besides, a hawk or a seagull wouldn't work as an item.

@Ember Incubus: They said the E3 Demo Area itself won't be in the final game. Everything in it, including the enemies, Scorpion mini-boss and the Beetle and Whip will most likely be included in the finished game.

McBlizzy

Happy Mask Salesgirl
Has anyone else thought about why a beetle was their choice of flying creatures? I mean, why couldn't it have been something epic like the Hawk from TP? Or at least some sort of device.

What do you think? Is a beetle a little lame?

I completely agree! There's rumors that the beetle will replace and boomerang and if it does... D=<! The beetle is the most stupid item I've ever heard of besides the shovel! If there's no boomerang what are we going to use to stun creatures? (I'm hoping the Whip will step in and make stunning unnecessary) But still, A BEETLE! REALLY? I agree with you, give me a permanent hawk at least that can do some damage and not get eaten by predators!

A beetle... Please, >.>

Has anyone else thought about why a beetle was their choice of flying creatures? I mean, why couldn't it have been something epic like the Hawk from TP? Or at least some sort of device.
It is a device. :?

It's a mechanical beetle.

Either way, I don't see what's unusual about it. Zelda has never been standard. A boomerang? That's an Australian TOY, not a weapon. Rupees? Indian currency. There's all kinds of oddities in Zelda. This Beetle is just an odd creative little thing. :) A hawk or whatever would be boring. Besides, this game is obviously more artistically unique, so they picked something more unique. And judging from the way it controls, the flight pattern of an insect fits perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom