• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Smash Bros Who would you say is a good beginner character?

Threads relating to the Super Smash Bros series.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
If you were to teach someone that had never played any Smash game how to play, which character would you set them up with? I was showing my mom the ropes today, and I made her use Fox because his special moves are very straightforward, the standard is a gun, the side is a dash, the up launches you straight up and the down is a shield.

Have you ever been a Smash mentor, if so did you set your pupil up with a specific character? Who was it? If not, who would you recommend a first time Smash player use?

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
I've never meshed with Mario tbh, he just doesn't work well with me.
Well, he's pretty basic, but the more I think about it, the more he's great at showing the ropes.

He's got a great jump.

He's reasonably heavy so he doesn't die early.

He's got a good projectile and a reflector.

He's got a good combo game.

And he's got a decent recovery.

I'm not saying he's the best by any means, but he's always a good pick.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
The characters I think are the hardest for newbies to Smash are, in no particular order.

Sheik:

Mostly because of how precise you have to play to be any good with her. Her combo game is incredibly specific and precise, and she relies on edge-guarding and good setups.

Something that you need to have a good, solid grasp on the fundamentals to even be halfway decent at.

Shulk:

Mostly because newbies find his Manado arts, his strongest asset, to be very confusing and unintuitive.

Ryu/Ken:

Mostly because to be truly great with them, requires some basic knowledge on Street Fighter mechanics to really get their best combos and kill confirms. Which means fingerblasting the crap out of that controller.

Terry:

For the same reasons as Ryu and Ken.

Kazuya:

Again, same reasons as Terry, Ryu, and Ken.

Marth:

I actually think Lucina's better for newbies because of her consistent damage output. Marth requires precise spacing to be truly great with him.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I'd say link actually, he's got good attacks and his equipment is fun to use since they're range attacks, I just wish his bombs weren't remote and he still had his hook/clawshot
and he was still left handed

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom