• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Who likes their Hometown?

Djinn

and Tonic
It always seems to be a common complaint that people generally do not like the town they come from because it is too dull, too small, or it just lack something that other places have. There is that "grass is always greener" mindset at work with a lot of this when someone becomes too used to their own home and other towns just appear to be that much better.

It is a pretty common depiction in most stories or series that the main city is just terrible while the next place down the road is always comparatively better.

But how true is this for everyone? Who actually likes the town where they came from and did not want to leave as soon as possible or have some dream place they wanted to move to?

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I like the personal area around me i have woods backing onto me and a nice large garden, but i don't like the town my area is in, mainly cuz it's just stupid, the roads are either overly congested with traffic or you nearly get run over by a turdmuffler, theres all the nightclubs blaring in the town section and all sorts of horrific crap happens.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I don't particularly hate the place I come from. There isn't really anything super exciting around here but it's not particularly boring. It's a very diverse area and it has a lot to offer. I don't mind living here at all. I've never really felt any real desire to live anywhere else, but that may be because I haven't traveled much at all.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I'm originally from Vancouver, British Columbia, and even though I left there when I was 8, I've been going back every summer so I know what it's like to live there. Some areas are definitely better than others, but overall, I can't say it's my favourite place to live. Although that's probably mostly just due to the fact that I'm really not a city guy.

Before I moved to Edmonton to start school, I was in a small mountain town for more than half my life. I complained a lot but I loved it there, and I miss it already. Had it not been for school, I probably would've stayed at least a little while longer. It was small and quaint but still quite lively. It was small enough so that you could walk pretty much everywhere but still big enough to feel like a community. Definitely beats out the city imo.

I absolutely hate my hometown, and ever since I moved away I have made sure to never go back. The actual area was fine, (a busy town in the countryside) but there was definitely something wrong with the people. I was always treated like an outsider and never fitted in anywhere. In short, I just have bad memories of living there and don't like to think about it too much. The place I'm at now though is so much better, although I'm not planning to stay for ages. I really do hope that there's this dream place waiting for me somewhere- just got to go and find it ;)

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
i grew up in north dakota. moving to one of the moons of saturn is a more appealing alternative, even if i have to breathe liquid methane. the grass doesn't seem greener on the other side - it is. after seeing half the world, going home only accentuates its flaws. travel didn't make home seem less exciting, it revealed the fundamental nature of its ****tiness.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
My current hometown is boring. Really boring. The only good thing is the beach and the park nearby but besides that, it's boring as hell. There is no work environment and people are leaving fast. The only thing that keeps me here is the beautiful park and the beach. I love the hours walk.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I love my hometown. I have always been satisfied with living here and will probably continue to do so. I dont like change either so that is another factor.
I think a lot of people just don't appreciate the place they are from and have this idea that the grass is greener elsewhere which is not always true.

Milwaukee is my home town, it's some okay stuff but I'm not into drinking, sports, or much else around here. Our only local arcade is gone, but we have 1000000 bars, so I'm resentful for that reason.

But yeah the ghetto parts of milwaukee are getting worse and worse, and the racial segregation is worse here than anywhere in the US.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Are you talking about whether we like the town we currently live in or are you talking about whether we like the town we grew up in? Since this question can be interpreted two ways, I will answer it both ways.

When talking about the town I grew up in. I'm not a fan of it. Even if we overlook the bad memories of being bullied, the town is just way too small and has little to offer. As much as I love my family and friends who still live there, if I stay for longer than two weeks, I get stir crazy. There's just not much to do there. And the neighbouring town doesn't fare much better, as it's similarly sized, but actually feels smaller in some regards. So I don't believe it's a 'the grass is greener' concept on my part.

When talking about the town I now live in, where I have lived for the past eleven years, I love it. It's the country's second largest, but it also has a nice balance between quiet neighbourhoods, nature and urban centres. The people here are really nice, there's plenty of interesting things to do, I have a nice network of friends. All in all, I really like my town.

I was not born in Brisbane/Ipswich but I call the area home (it's where I grew up too so that makes it my home town). I am proud to call the area my home. I really like it.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I live out in a relatively small western Sydney town and I do not really like it here. I think that there is quite a large drug and domestic abuse epidemic going on around here especially with ice and people (plural) from homes within 500 meters of my own have gone missing, some found dead, relatively recently. Lots of people around here don't seem to have much of a direction in life aside from sit around and smoke pot all day, get drunk and do drugs and it is something that I can't wait to get away from. The area around my town isn't particularly multi-cultural either, which I find disappointing since it is mostly just white aussie bogans.

I tend not to associate with many people around town outside my close friends so I haven't had any issues personally, but members of my family have AVOs against people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom