• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Who Knows Japanese?

Fierce

Deity Link
I just recently bought the Japanese Rosetta stone to finetune and solidify the Japanese I've learned on my own. I think its a beautiful langauge really. Everything is much more understated.

Who else knows, or is learning Japanese? Any tips for a native English speaker?

Sarianae

Infinite Dreamer
I've been taking japanese for a couple of years, so I'm learning. My intent is to become fluent at some point, though....I'll have to solidify a lot of grammar rules, memorize a LOT of kanji, and practice practice practice.

あなたも日本語を話すことがならいたがりますか。

^ I probably messed up the grammar a bit. If there's someone here who can fix whatever mistakes I made...go for it :silent:

I really want to learn Japanese. I hope to live there for a few months once I graduate from Uni. Stupid school teaches Italian instead =[

ケンジ

僕は準備完了しています!
Paranaque City, Metro Manila, Philippines
Someone mentioned my name?

Well, I suggest you do the following:
1. Go join a forum where people learn to speak Japanese
2. Chat with them, because there are some Japanese who also seeks to speak English.
3. Expose yourself to any Japanese Environment, say you go into a bazaar with some Japanese, speak with them to practice your communication skills.
4. PRACTICE writing the characters. I can`t stress this enough, writing them IS NEEDED. You may think it`s a tiresome process, well it is.

And as to what sarianae said, yeah some words are wrong but I get what you mean.

Sarianae

Infinite Dreamer
And as to what sarianae said, yeah some words are wrong but I get what you mean.

Dang, thought so. How's it written properly? If you don't really want to explain it out then even just writing the correct japanese sentence would be great...I think I'll be able to analyze it to figure out what I did wrong ^^

ケンジ

僕は準備完了しています!
It would be best if you figured it out yourself.

You only need to change a few words, and correct one or two words. And I don`t have much time to type, I`m usually busy at this time of day.
It`s also possible to shorten it, by removing other words.

Think of it as a challenge, and truthfully, teaching Japanese is one thing I am not good at.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
I don't know how to write or read hiragana or katakana or kanji. (But i can write them in latin words though)

But i can speak and understand japanese on a basic level. My learning method...watching 7 years of subbed anime on the internet. I watch anime every day, instead of TV. There is nothing good on TV, so yeah...why not. Soshi-te, ore wa nihongo wo dekimasu yo, urayamashii-n-desu ka?

Ironicly i learned english the same way. Here in holland when there was cartoon network in the past, all of the cartoons were dutch subbed. (well that and and gaming) Now all of the cartoons are dubbed, what a waste.

And parents say TV and gaming is bad for kids huh? No way!

Sarianae

Infinite Dreamer
^ That's very impressive Onilink, that you were able to learn that much just from watching anime. I myself probably picked up around 200-300 japanese phrases/expressions from watching anime, but no grammar. That, I didn't start learning until it was being taught to me in a classroom.

K4KING, I will look at it as a challenge then, and try to get it right. Not right now, but I will think it through later and revise it how I see fit, and then might ask you how the revised sentence is to see if I got it correct. I hope that is alright.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
^ That's very impressive Onilink, that you were able to learn that much just from watching anime. I myself probably picked up around 200-300 japanese phrases/expressions from watching anime, but no grammar. That, I didn't start learning until it was being taught to me in a classroom.

K4KING, I will look at it as a challenge then, and try to get it right. Not right now, but I will think it through later and revise it how I see fit, and then might ask you how the revised sentence is to see if I got it correct. I hope that is alright.

:D Why thank you. Its not like I was aiming to learn japanese, I just picked it up somehow.

But you know what else I like about the japanese language. The kansai dialect (or was it osaka?). I don't really know but that dialect is awsome and funny.

Mute

一員
I'm actually studying Japanese. Or, well, was. My problem is that I'm hopelessly lazy and when I was actually studying, it was kind of... All over the place. I know Katakana, Hiragana, quite a few kanji, along with a few random words. On top of that, I know a small amount of the grammar, but I really need to look over it some more.

So what probably caused me to stop studying? I never really had a schedule or anything for it, I'd just study when I remembered, which slowed it down while also keeping me from thinking "Oh hey, it's XX-o'clock! I should study!", on top of that, the fact that I didn't practice often enough or write much down, including the stuff I had problems with. If I had any tips, it'd probably be to take notes of some kind, it'd help you if you just need to look up something without having to go through an entire book or finding it in a program or searching for it on the web. Also patience. Dear lord, patience. Impatience is part of what caused my problems.

I actually might wind up giving it another go soon, only this time I'd prepare a little more beforehand.

ケンジ

僕は準備完了しています!
:D Why thank you. Its not like I was aiming to learn japanese, I just picked it up somehow.

But you know what else I like about the japanese language. The kansai dialect (or was it osaka?). I don't really know but that dialect is awsome and funny.

There are many dialects, and many people talk differently. And Kansai Dialect can be funny cause they sometimes talk through to fast or through their nose.
And Watching Anime and learning Japanese from it is only doing half the job, but still your good not thinking them as the norm. Nothing in Anime is real in japan, the jokes and exaggerations are not real.

As to Sarianae, I think it`s better to ask someone else, cause I`m not always available, though I am for awhile, When I get busy, I leave suddenly without a word.

linkman8

True and Noble
At the present time I'm slowly learning more and more Japanese through university classes. I knew a bit before I ever came to college, but now I'm learning a lot more. I can write all katakana and all hiragana, but I haven't really learned much for kanji yet. The important thing right now is getting sentence structure down.
So I know basic levels of Japanese, and I hope to become fluent some day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom