• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Who is Your Favourite Companion?

Who is your favourite companion?

• Navi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tatl

• King of Red Lions

• Ezlo

• Midna

• Ciela

• Fi

• Total voters

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I love how most of the Zelda games have Link accompanied on his adventure with a companion. All of these companions have a unique personality and add so much to their respective games.

Personally, my favourite companion of all was Ezlo from The Minish Cap. I just loved his whole attitude. He came across as kind of cheeky, he often seemed to be patronising Link at times, but he was never mean or arrogant. It was just his way of coping with the situation he was in. He was genuinely funny and it was clear that, as the game progressed, he grew closer to Link in way that felt very natural.

So who's your favourite and why?

Norm

God-King of Teh Intarwebz
Clearly in ur tube, blockin ur internets.
I voted the King of Red Lions, because he is not as annoying as some of the others (let the body-slamming of that statement commence) as wll as him being EXTREMELY vital to the game (you might not need Navi's info on enemies, but you DEFINETLY need the King of Red Lions as your transportation).

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Midna. She is the only companion I actually like as a character. She never is annoying and is not too hand holdy.

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
Believe it or not, I actually enjoyed Navi as a companion. She never onced actually bothered me. I really don't know why most people had a problem with her. She was just trying to be helpful. Plus you can ignore her except for certain parts when she is explaining something.

Can't express enough how much I love <3 Midna <3. Given how she was essentially the main character in TP, it's almost unfair to label her as just a ''companion''. I'd go as far as to say she is actually my favorite character in the entire series now. I can't really think of anything I actually DISlike about her. Her character arch through out the game, dialogue and animations were all fantastic in my opinion and made for a very fun, likable and sympathetic character.

TP wouldn't have been nearly as great if they didn't do such a fabulous job with Midna.

TheRationalDove

Red Hair Wonder
You forgot Zelda from Spirit Track. Just saying.

Anyway, I think that all of the companions were nice in their own way. You actually used Zelda to complete puzzles in Spirit Tracks, Navi was like a monster Encyclopedia and Midna as a great dynamic personality. I really think all the companions in all the games i've played were good companions in their own way. Ciela was probably the least helpful, but she was important for the final boss in a way that the other companions weren't (I haven't finished Twilight Princess or Spirit Track yet, so..)

MW7

Personally, my favourite companion of all was Ezlo from The Minish Cap. I just loved his whole attitude. He came across as kind of cheeky, he often seemed to be patronising Link at times, but he was never mean or arrogant. It was just his way of coping with the situation he was in. He was genuinely funny and it was clear that, as the game progressed, he grew closer to Link in way that felt very natural.

Exactly how I feel. Plus he's a hat so he has that going for him as well.

I never really liked any of them (especially not Midna. I hate Midna, so freaking much), but I actually tolerate the King of Red Lions. He didn't ever mince words or give you useless information, he didn't annoy me with an overbearing personality, and he was a talking boat (well, kind of).

A proper response to this thread demands analyzing the advantages and disadvantages to each major partner including some you did not list in the poll options. ;)

Navi

Advantages: Most nostalgia driven partner in series history. Seriously is there anyone who doesn't remember this female fairy. It's good Nintendo was successful in creating an exceptional first true partner in series history, enemy analysis, most faithful partner (Navi never abandons Link until his quest to save Hyrule is completed. ).
Disadvantages: Annoying as heck!

Tatl

Advantages: More developed and less annoying than Navi. Though Tatl was personally not nearly as dynamic and memorable as Navi, the fairy represented a huge step forward in terms of character development and set the stage for the King of Red Lions and Midna. Also, her name is an extremely nice pun.
Disadvantages: Very loosely connected to rest of series.

The King of Red Lions

Advantages: A helper who has an extremely intimate connection with the story. The King of Hyrule always was an extremely well-developed character whether as ship or boat. It was he and Ganondorf that made the story so moving.
Disadvantages: None.

Ezlo

Advantages: Very useful companion who cuts to the basics of what you need to know on your quest and briefly recaps the scenario each time you return to playing; also extremely hilarious.
Disdvantages: Occasionally annoying.

Midna

Advantages: Very fleshed out character who has strong relationship with villains in game, useful in dispensing information, a beautiful-and I mean beautiful-women at game's end! Midna was a template for all helpers after. Shame Fi disappointed...
Dsiadvantages: Annoying.

Linebeck (He's PH's sidekick not stupid Ciela :P)

Advantages: A sidekick who displays an evil side. The fact that Linebeck can overcome his greed in order to assist you is a testament to his strength as a character. Nintendo should start leaning away from pure helpers more often.
Disadvantages: Cameo in Spirit Tracks is disappointing.

Zelda (Spirit Tracks)

Advantages: Appeals to contemporary teenage culture very much. The player can't help but feel embarrassed for Link when Zelda states at the beginning of the game, "Me...go with him?". Also, it's nice to see the damsel of distress take on a more prominent and center stage role once in awhile. Nintendo was wise once again. Very well played.
Disadvantages: Annoying shrieks when confronted by mice in Phantom form.

Fi

Advantages: Return of enemy analysis! Has arguably the best music theme in Zelda helper history! I can literally listen to Fi's them over and over again for hours! Ingenious, Koji Kondo. Also, Fi appeals to scientific minds and is a foil to Ghirahim but also a direct complement. Fi is to Link as Ghirahim is to Demise. Very well played on Nintendo's part.
Disadvantages: Annoying mechanical voice! :mad:

If only for nostalgia followed by character development I'd have to go with Navi followed by Midna in a close second.

godess reborn

Blame The Cricket
I'm sorry. Midna has to be my favorite. TP was my first Zelda game, so there's a huge nostalgia factor. I also love the character development that happens with her, like she grew as a person throughout the quest. I really felt like I got to know her, unlike with Navi who didn't have much personality and only gave you info on enemies. I am also quite fond of her little giggly voice:)
My second is the King of Red Lions because he was useful but not annoying.

Navi!

OoT was just the second 3D game I ever played (Mario 64 being the 1st). At the time nothing in gaming could match the magic and epicness of OoT. Even if you believe the game as since been surpassed you cannot deny the effect it had at the time, there truly was nothing like it. I remember stepping forth into that massive 3D world. Sure nowadays it seems small but back then it was huge.

I remember collecting the Spiritual Stones, lifting the Master Sword, saving Hyrule from Ganon and that final epic battle of good vs evil. During all that I had one faithful companion who stuck with me through thick and thin. She gave me enemy analysis, told me where to go, her Z-targeting created an extremely valuable fighting mechanic, she never had a disparaging comment and gave her all to help you save the world. She was very helpful to for that first play through of the game.

And for those who say she has no personality?

BAH!

I remember when you fight Ganondorf the first time and he keeps Navi from being able to assist you. After he transforms though Navi says this:

"There's no way he's going to hold
me back again!
This time, we fight together!"

That's friendship folks! I got a little teary eyed when I read that. Navi was my friend, I was sad to see her fly off at the end. And I know that special and important friend Link needed to find was Navi. After walking away from Termina at the end of MM, I always wondered, did he ever find her? I hope so.

Even though I think Midna deserves it, I'm going with the King of Red Lions. Here's why.

- He was the only companion essential for completing the game. Without the King of Red Lions, there is no way poor little Link could traverse the Great Sea and save Zelda! This actually made me like him and recognize him as a character unlike some of the other characters (Navi).

- He was a serious addition to the plot of the story. When Link submerged under the sea to the lost city of Hyrule for the first time, it was breathtaking. Has to be one of my favorite cinematics of the entire series. However, what's even more astonishing is when you find out that the King of Red Lions is actually the freakin' King of Hyrule! Honestly, did anyone see it coming? Amazing plot twist and I seriously enjoyed it. From then on it made me appreciate him as a character even more. He wanted to redeam himself and fix his past mistakes to his land and defeat Ganon just as much as you did. In the final cut scene, when he stops Ganondorf from achieving the power of the Triforce, is the first time in Zelda where my heart actually skipped a beat. What a memorable experience and I'll never forget it. The King of Red Lions is a nice dynamic character and is truley unique to the Zelda series.

- Lastly, and I don't think anyone can argue this, he's the least annoying out of all the companions we've had. Compared to the other helpers, the amount of times he actually stopped you to notify you about something was miniscule. Even in the very first dungeon (Dragon Roost) he barley warned you about anything. Actually, let's take a step back, he didn't even forcefully help you on what you had to do to enter the Dragon Roost Island dungeon! The help was optional (horray!!)!!!!!!!!

All of those reasons add up to why I like him the best over the other companions. I truly feel that Nintendo did a perfect job with the King of Red Lions as your companion.

Also on a sidenote, I don't know about you ALIT, but I LOVED Fi's mechanical voice! It was beautiful and I loved listening to it.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Linebeck (He's PH's sidekick not stupid Ciela :P)

Advantages: A sidekick who displays an evil side. The fact that Linebeck can overcome his greed in order to assist you is a testament to his strength as a character. Nintendo should start leaning away from pure helpers more often.
Disadvantages: Cameo in Spirit Tracks is disappointing.

Zelda (Spirit Tracks)

Advantages: Appeals to contemporary teenage culture very much. The player can't help but feel embarrassed for Link when Zelda states at the beginning of the game, "Me...go with him?". Also, it's nice to see the damsel of distress take on a more prominent and center stage role once in awhile. Nintendo was wise once again. Very well played.
Disadvantages: Annoying shrieks when confronted by mice in Phantom form.

I considered adding Linebeck to the poll but didn't because it's been so long since I have played Phantom Hourglass and just remembered Ciela being alongside Link the whole time. My bad. Now that I think back, Linebeck was probably the best character by far.
I haven't actually played Spirit Tracks (it and Link's Awakening are the only two I've never played) so I didn't know about Zelda either. My bad again. Thanks for pointing them out :)

To be honest, I briefly considered adding Sahasrahla from A Link To The Past because he helps Link out a few times, but then I decided not to since he doesn't come with you and only talks to you rarely and only to relay small bits of information.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom