• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Who is Your Favorite Fantasy Author?

sailorgirl221

What a fearsome beast!!
J.R. Tolkin
Sundra Gulland
And
Phalippa Gregory.
I was so MAD when they made The Other Boleyn Girl into a movie because the one who played Anne tried to had and it was not true to the book what so ever!!!! I threw my popcorn down and screamed about how it wasn't true to the book and stormed out lol.

Hanyou

didn't build that
I think Tolkien's basically the best the genre ever has offered or ever will offer.

C.S. Lewis is a better writer, though, and I like his stories and worlds. For Narnia and the Space Trilogy (the latter of which is arguably sci-fi but FEELS like fantasy), Lewis is up there.

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
Fantasy has become my favorite book genre, and I have been discovering lots of new authors lately.

My favorites:
JRR Tolkien
Robert Jordan
Brandon Sanderson
George RR Martin
Steven Erikson
Terry Goodkind

I have tons more books on my to read list, so I'm sure this author list will grow :)

You have good taste. I have all these authors in my personal library and I love their work. These guys are the best of the best.

Starleap

Canadian Girl
Angie Sage and Chris D'Lacey.

Angie Sage is the author of the Septimus Heap series and Chris D'Lacey is the author of the Last Dragon chronicles. (Or as I like to call it, The Fire Within Series. XD )

DisappearingMist

Mrs. Caleb
You have good taste. I have all these authors in my personal library and I love their work. These guys are the best of the best.
Thanks! They are all great! I have found my collection of books growing huge lately, but I haven't had time to read to find out how great they really are yet - Stephen King's Dark Tower, David Eddings, some Mercedes Lackey, etc. Any thoughts on them?

Batman

Thanks! They are all great! I have found my collection of books growing huge lately, but I haven't had time to read to find out how great they really are yet - Stephen King's Dark Tower, David Eddings, some Mercedes Lackey, etc. Any thoughts on them?

I've never read The Dark Tower series but it's on my to-buy list; I imagine it's good. Anything Stephen King writes is good. lol

David Eddings is awesome. I love his books. The Belgariad and the Mallorean series are both fantastic. He's a great writer.

I'm unfamiliar with Mercedes Lackey, so I can't help you there.

I would also suggest:

R.A. Salvatore (The Dark Elf Trilogy is epic; and whole the Legend of Drizzt saga in general is great, and the Cleric Quintet).

Terry Brooks: (The Sword of Shannara Trilogy; one of the best fantasy stories ever written)

David Farland: (The Runelords)

Raymond E. Feist (The Riftwar Cycle)

I hope this helps! :)

arkvoodle

Diabolical
Can't believe I forgot to mention The Dark Legion by Michael Holladay! It's not too well-known to my knowledge, but I picked it up recently and absolutely loved it. He's also up there on my list now.

Shameless self promotion. ^

I'm quite the fan of J.R.R. Tolkien. The Lord of the Rings series and the other books that he has written have always managed to captivate my imagination and engage all of my senses through his incredibly descriptive style and engaging storyline. His books managed to act as a portal into a whole new world and served as a basis/inspiring detail for stories for generations to come.

Another author whose books I absolutely adored were those of JK Rowling. The Harry Potter series, although quite cliché in these sort of threads, has done something similar to that of Tolkiens. It inspired a generation. Created a whole new world full of captivating characters, creatures, locations and added a little bit of magic to everyone who enjoyed it's lives. :3

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I think that can be debated.

If you read all the books the man had written, the races he created, the worlds he created, even the languages he created (Elvish is not just one and the same language, there are a couple of varies among them as well) I must say the man is without a doubt a A MASTER GENIUS.
Sure, you are of course allowed to feel different but looking at his work and all he did the man is by far the best in his kind

Batman

arkvoodle said:
I'm quite the fan of J.R.R. Tolkien. The Lord of the Rings series and the other books that he has written have always managed to captivate my imagination and engage all of my senses through his incredibly descriptive style and engaging storyline. His books managed to act as a portal into a whole new world and served as a basis/inspiring detail for stories for generations to come.

Well said. I completely agree. Tolkien is the father of modern fantasy and has set the bar for good fantasy stories since The Hobbit. I have collected the whole J.R.R. Tolkien legendarium and I've read probably 50% of it all. The man was a literary genius with an incredible imagination. The amount of detail in his mythology is amazing and the deep threads of history and culture he created is astounding. He set the stage for modern fantasy and created the norms that exist in the fantasy genre today. In other words, he was the man. :)

Jedi Link

Use The Triforce
My favorite authors are J.K Rowling, Suzanne Collins, Christopher Paolini, and myself of course (I am in creative writing for the Performing and Visual Arts program at my school. I am currently writing a full- length novel that I will post here on ZD.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom