• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Who is the Goddess of Time In Majora's Mask

First of all, I would like to apologize if there was already a thread on here addressing this issue I apologize for re-posting it. I personally believe that Nayru(the goddess of wisdom) is the goddess of time.
I believe this for these reasons:
1) Nayru is associated with the color blue and every time we something to do with time it is most likely blue.
2) Zelda is often called(in oot) the sage of time and she has the triforce of wisdom which is Nayru's piece.

What do you guys think?

G

Goddess Sword

I personnaly think she's a completely different deity. Why? Well, there's not a lot of prooves about it, but I think she's the patron deity honored in the Temple of Time. It's why Zelda knows her, because the Temple of Time is, likely, her temple as the Leader of the Sages (even if I also think she's the Sage of Time).

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Hylia said:
From the edge of time I guide you,
the one chosen to carry out the
goddess's mission.
(she says this five times)

Of course,
Hylia is now Zelda, so saying that Hylia is the Goddess of Time would be saying that OoT Zelda is the Goddess of Time.
It's possible, given Zelda's relation to time already. Otherwise, it's probably just a separate goddess, like Hylia was.

I think it'd be a totally different Goddess just because. Majora's Mask takes place in Termina too so the people in that deminision could ahve had something similar to the Hylian deminsion being the Goddess Hylia, but something else since it's in Termina I guess.

G

Goddess Sword

I think it'd be a totally different Goddess just because. Majora's Mask takes place in Termina too so the people in that deminision could ahve had something similar to the Hylian deminsion being the Goddess Hylia, but something else since it's in Termina I guess.

But it is Zelda, in a flashback, that talks about said Goddess of Time.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
(she says this five times)

Of course,
Hylia is now Zelda, so saying that Hylia is the Goddess of Time would be saying that OoT Zelda is the Goddess of Time.
It's possible, given Zelda's relation to time already. Otherwise, it's probably just a separate goddess, like Hylia was.

Actually the possibilty that Hylia is the Goddess of Time is still there.
Just because SS Zelda is a mortal Hylia does not mean OOT zelda is (or an incarnation of) Hylia. She only shares the bloodline.
Demise: "Though this is not the end. My hate... never perishes. It is born anew in a cycle with no end! I will rise again. Those like you... Those who share the blood of the goddess and the spirit of the hero... They are eternally bound to this curse. An incarnation of my hatred shall ever follow your kind, dooming them to wander a blood-soaked sea of darkness for all time!"

This theory is pretty...wide (dunno how to discribe it)
There are mutltiple possilities who the Goddess of Time is, because they cannot be proven or disproven:
- Hylia
- Nayru
- Seperate Deity

Why not Farore? Ceila, the spirit of courage from PH has the ability to stop time?
To flawed to consider this as a possibilty IMO. The only connection with Farore is because it represents the Triforce of Courage that the Hero of Time bears. And Ceila is Spirit of courage and time, does not mean that it represents Farore itself.

First of all, Link is got the title "Hero of Time" because he's a boy who traveled to time and saved hyrule...and you know the rest
Second, PH plays in a different dimension and not connected to Hyrule whatsoever. Not to mention that it comes way later in the adult timeline.

But it is Zelda, in a flashback, that talks about said Goddess of Time.
Exactly my point why i also not consider this as a possibilty.
Zelda MM: "The Goddess of Time is protecting you. If you play the Song of Time, she will aid you..."

Why not Farore? Ceila, the spirit of courage from PH has the ability to stop time?

While I'll agree that Ciela being the Spirit of Courage and Time (Which is most definitely a deus ex machina) does suggest something greater, I think that the Goddess of Time is not only a separate deity, but the being that created the three Goddesses we know. Zelda's mention of the Goddess of Time, her presumed status as the Sage of Time, and Ciela's title could be a reference to a greater deity that influenced the main three.

First, let's refer to the timeline. Because there are three splits, I've seen the Adult timeline referred to as representing the Wisdom timeline because it is Zelda who sends Link back in time, and the Child timeline represents Courage because Link informs Zelda of Ganondorf's evil plans. I for one think that this is not how we should refer to the timelines, unless the names are what are given in the Hyrule Historia rather than just being fan designations. The Adult timeline is created because of Link's courage that finally allowed him to prevail against Ganon, but the Child timeline is created from Link sharing his knowledge of the future, and knowledge can be considered similar to Wisdom.

What's my point? Zelda refers to the Goddess of Time in a flashback that took place at the end of Ocarina of Time, which is on the Child timeline. In Phantom Hourglass, it is the Spirit of Courage that doubles as a reference to an aspect of Time. This means that a representative of each Triforce piece will reference the Goddess of Time, or at the power of time, on its own arc of the timeline. Granted, the Downfall timeline includes Oracle of Ages, in which the Harp of Ages is connected to Nayru, but then again, there's also the Rod of Seasons, which is connected to Din.

I've always assumed that people worshiped Nayru as the Goddess of Time, as she is depicted creating the Sun in OoT. The Sun has always kept time for the people, it would be logical that whoever created it would be credited as the creator of time.

S

Slim Shady

i think it might actually be the newly introduced godess hylia

Well that would be a problem since
Hylia is reincarnated into Zelda
Actually I don't think it would. Time is irrelevant to a Goddess of it. She could simply be helping her people from a time in the past like she did in skyward sword. Further more she still is as zelda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom