• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Who is Queen Rutela?

T

TriforceFan

A lot of you thought that Queen Rutela, the Zora queen from TP, thought she may be Princess Ruto. There had been quite a few clues to tell if this is true. However, a few weeks ago, Axle the Beast answered my question about this in a mailbag and he doesn't believe so, because of how much time has elapsed between OoT and TP, although he did admit that King Zora from TP may be the King Zora from OoT.

I still believe Queen Rutela is Princess Ruto grown up. In OoT, when she gave the Zora's Sapphire to Link, she claimed it was called the "Zora's Wedding Ring". But at the end of the game, the Door of Time closes, meaning that the Zora's Sapphire must've returned back to the Zoras. Ruto eventually married and wore the Zora's Sapphire as her necklace and changed her name to Rutela. After a few years, she must've passed away as the Sage of Water and became a guide to Link. Remember that cutscene where one of the Sages from TP got killed by Ganondorf? And how it was the Sage of Water? That has to be Queen Rutela as an adult, although they didn't really show this.

There are several clues to infer that Queen Rutela is Princess Ruto. But what do you guys think? Do you guys believe she is Princess Ruto? Leave your thoughts in the comments! :)

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
No I don't believe the Sage of Water is Ruto because in the Child Timeline the events in OoT were reversed. Link returned to his time by Zelda and so all what would happen later was undone which means Ruto wouldn't be the sage of water anymore. Another thing is the sage of water in TP was killed by Ganondorf. Queen Rutela was killed by Zant's minions as a warning to her people. So this will make it IMPOSSIBLE for Rutela to be the Sage of water and Ruto.
And we don't know if she changed her name. And who says she becomes a guide to Link? I mean after the events in OoT and Link being sent back to his time Ruto wouldn't meet Link and wouldn't know him the way she did. And evil was locked away so there was no need for her to guide Link

Wasn't Queen Rutela a ghost on TP?If Queen Rutela is a ghost on TP:
Since Queen Rutela is already a ghost on TP,the fact that the elapsed time between OoT and TP is big make easier to believe this based on my theory:
My theory is:the OoT sages,after they pass away,become some kind of ghosts on the living world and continue to be the sages,but since the sage of water
because if the sage of water got killed by ganondorf on TP,and since there weren't any "changes" of the sages (until now) on the child timeline of Zelda,Princess Ruto now is a ghost named Queen Rutela.

I wholeheartedly agree with Vanessa28. Twilight Princess takes place on the split where Ruto was never awakened as a Sage. Queen Rutela is a different being entirely, though she might be [blood] related to Princess Ruto of Ocarina of Time. I think it was said in the game that Queen Rutela died... during the events of the game, and not during some point in the past [where the execution of Ganondorf and the Sage of Water's death took place]. Remember Prince Ralis? Her son?

Anyway...
Hyrule Historian (Glitterberri translation) said:
•The Arbiter’s Grounds and the Mirror of Twilight

In the Arbiter’s Grounds, Ganondorf was executed by six sages. However, Ganondorf was elected to not die by the Triforce of Power, and killed one of the sages. Panicking, the sages used the Mirror of Twilight to exile Ganondorf in the Twilight Realm.
At this time the sages were given the mission by the Gods to protect the Mirror of Twilight.
However, Ganondorf’s malice went with him into the Twilight Realm, which threw the Twilight Realm into disorder.

Note that it is believed that the sages in TP took the form of the original Ancient sages [those mentioned in OoT, who built the Temple of Time]. I have not found much to support this, but it may not be too far off from fact. My point is that it has been confirmed that the Sage of Water in TP is not Princess Ruto, nor is she Queen Rutela, but a different sage entirely.

Hyrule Historia (Glitterberri translation) said:
•Sages

More information of this time’s sages like their names are unknown. From the emblems depicted on the sage’s clothing they are known to be sages of light, forest, fire, water, shadow, and spirit.

Source: Pg. 113 The Demon Thief Ganondorf’s Execution

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Wasn't Queen Rutela a ghost on TP?If Queen Rutela is a ghost on TP:
Since Queen Rutela is already a ghost on TP,the fact that the elapsed time between OoT and TP is big make easier to believe this based on my theory:
My theory is:the OoT sages,after they pass away,become some kind of ghosts on the living world and continue to be the sages,but since the sage of water
because if the sage of water got killed by ganondorf on TP,and since there weren't any "changes" of the sages (until now) on the child timeline of Zelda,Princess Ruto now is a ghost named Queen Rutela.

She was NOT a ghost already before the game started. Remember in the game how Link was ready to leave Ordona Village and then he got attacked and turned into a wolf? I think that is when the invasion started because Link could no longer access Faron Woods as a human being. When he saved Talo he could. I think somewhere between that point and the time when Link arrived in Zora's Domain as a wolf Rutela was killed. And it is like Wolf Sage said, remember her son Railis. He was sent to Hyrule by his mother and Rutela was killed a bit after he left. So Rutela is DEFINITELY NOT Ruto

I just played this part of the game in Twilight Princess and Queen Rutela was killed in the duration of the game. Although since we have seen characters living for a long time such as Impa from Skyward Sword or I am sure there is another example. If the Ancient Hero that gives you the hidden skills is the Link from OoT then I think it is thousands of years afterward, but there could be some sort of magic maybe even similar to the interlopers that make it so you can live for a long time without showing much physical signs.

DarkLink7

I make my own fate!
Well, i agree with those that say Rutela is NOT Ruto. Too big a time gap, she was killed somewhere between when Link first enters the Twilight to the cleansing of the Lanayru Province, and again, the thing with the timeline. Ruto would have known Link, but wouldn't have had really any connection, the Spiritual Stones, I assume, would have been returned to their guardians. So I do believe that Rutela and Ruto are related, but I do NOT believe they are the same. And why would Ruto have changed her name?

I would say Rutela is Ruto's daughter. I have no evidence to support this; it just seems likely.

felipe970421

Mardek Innanu El-Enkidu
Queen Rutela: A Zora queen, named Rutela, possibly related to Ruto, died in an attack by Zant, helped TP Link in his quest

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom