• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Who is More Annoying: Fi or Navi?

Fi or Navi: Who is the most anoying sidekick?

• Fi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Navi

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ice Sage

these are words
I think Navi is more annoying. I found Fi to be quite okay... at times. I constantly ended up trying to recenter the cursor and kept calling Fi. Which does get very annoying, but I still found Navi to be worse.

Fi was far more annoying for me. Atleast with Navi I actually spoke to her sometimes, or actually bothered reading what she said. With Fi I found myself dreading everytime we were forced to listen to her babble on about something very obvious.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Seriously? First Navi and now Fi too? Why do so many people keep on insisting that these partner characters are annoying? It's ridiculous and blown out of proportion. I'm sorry if I come off as rude, but this is stupid. I have never been even slightly annoyed with Fi. Navi's obvious hints were vaguely annoying, but not nearly enough to actually complain about it. And her "Hey! Listen!" is not annoying in the slightest. And let's face the facts. Plenty of Midna's hints were much more obvious than Navi's. People just seem to miss that because they like her "character" so much. But getting back to the topic of Fi...

I happen to really like Fi. She can be obvious occasionally, but what's wrong with that? Nothing, that's what. I like the way she talks too. The way she talks is kind of robotic and straight to the point, and accurate too, with all of those percent calculations. That's not annoying, that's amusing. I can't see how Fi could be considered annoying at all. I really don't see why some people find it necessary to complain about partner characters like this. It's really a waste of time since it's all mostly over-exaggeration.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Seriously? First Navi and now Fi too? Why do so many people keep on insisting that these partner characters are annoying? It's ridiculous and blown out of proportion. I'm sorry if I come off as rude, but this is stupid. I have never been even slightly annoyed with Fi. Navi's obvious hints were vaguely annoying, but not nearly enough to actually complain about it. And her "Hey! Listen!" is not annoying in the slightest. And let's face the facts. Plenty of Midna's hints were much more obvious than Navi's. People just seem to miss that because they like her "character" so much. But getting back to the topic of Fi...

I happen to really like Fi. She can be obvious occasionally, but what's wrong with that? Nothing, that's what. I like the way she talks too. The way she talks is kind of robotic and straight to the point, and accurate too, with all of those percent calculations. That's not annoying, that's amusing. I can't see how Fi could be considered annoying at all. I really don't see why some people find it necessary to complain about partner characters like this. It's really a waste of time since it's all mostly over-exaggeration.
It isn't quite blown out of proportion. While I admit that Navi's hate is, Fi's hate is more than justified in my opinion.

What's annoying to me may be enjoyable to you, that's just how opinions and how peoples' minds work xD

Bolded: Everything's wrong with being so obvious to the point of insanity. Say you just hit a timeshift orb. Fi then comes up and says "Master [name], readings indicate there is a 95 percent chance that you have hit a timeshift orb [...]". Tell me that isn't annoying. If you do, you are either very tolerant of people, or you must be a robot yourself! Her 'percent calculations' are nothing more than a waste of time and a way to fit computer jargon into a medieval game. There was absolutely no reason for Fi to be as annoyingly obvious as she is. What need have we for her to tell us that we just solved a puzzle, the result of which we knew beforehand? Not even Navi does that kinda thing.

It isn't quite blown out of proportion. While I admit that Navi's hate is, Fi's hate is more than justified in my opinion.

What's annoying to me may be enjoyable to you, that's just how opinions and how peoples' minds work xD

Bolded: Everything's wrong with being so obvious to the point of insanity. Say you just hit a timeshift orb. Fi then comes up and says "Master [name], readings indicate there is a 95 percent chance that you have hit a timeshift orb [...]". Tell me that isn't annoying. If you do, you are either very tolerant of people, or you must be a robot yourself! Her 'percent calculations' are nothing more than a waste of time and a way to fit computer jargon into a medieval game. There was absolutely no reason for Fi to be as annoyingly obvious as she is. What need have we for her to tell us that we just solved a puzzle, the result of which we knew beforehand? Not even Navi does that kinda thing.

I agree with Azure.

Everyone doesn't catch on as swiftly as you, Vanitas. There are also many newcomers to the series, and Skyward Sword has been noted by many to be a departure from the typical Zelda formula, which results in an even steeper learning curve, especially for newcomers. For them, Fi might have been a bit annoying, yes, but exceedingly helpful nonetheless. Frankly, I believe Fi may have been an attempt at remedying the past nitpicks and complaints regarding the various assist characters from series' past. Personally, I think Fi was an excellent assistant. *sigh* Gosh, no matter what Nintendo does, there is NO satisfying fans.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator

That is true... :sweat:

A few thoughts... she isn't obvious to the point of insanity. I wouldn't go that far... I admit, I facepalmed more than once when she said something completely obvious, but I thought the fact that she bothered to say something so obvious was pretty funny.

Say you just hit a timeshift orb. Fi then comes up and says "Master [name], readings indicate there is a 95 percent chance that you have hit a timeshift orb [...]"

I'd say it was annoying if she'd actually said that. She really said that "because you hit the Timeshift stone, a rift in time occurred around the area", or something along those lines. If you hit a strange, deep blue stone and the environment suddenly changed, I think you'd like to know what was going on too.

Her 'percent calculations' are nothing more than a waste of time and a way to fit computer jargon into a medieval game.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it was a waste of time. I found it to be amusing. Like when you first meet Machi and Fi tells you she sensed a spike in dowsing readings, and if you choose the option "Zelda?" Fi tells you that there's a "3% chance that the creature we just encountered was Zelda." I think it's funny that Fi thought there was any chance that Machi was Zelda. You can't tell me you didn't laugh at that at least a little bit... A chuckle perhaps? Or even a grin or a slight reflexive smile?

There was also the time when Fi refered to the man on Fun Fun Island as "that rather unusal individual" or something close to that. And also the way she pauses when you fix Scrapper, as if she felt uncomfortable by the way he was "coming on to her". And then she turns back to you and acts like there's nothing wrong! I broke out laughing at that, honestly.

Fi is funny, there's no denying that. In short, most of what you're saying really is fairly exaggerated. That's all I really have to say on this subject.

Last edited:
I think Fi is actually very neat. I like her little babble language and her calculations never bothered me at all. I think people want to nitpick just because everybody else is doing it if you ask me. And for the record, Navi didn't really annoy me either, but yes she was sometimes Captain Obvious.

SwiftestPhantom

Ganondorf Incarnate
hmm....I can't say for sure who is more annoying, seeing as I (sadly) have not played SS yet...so I'll post again once I do...eventually. But, as for now, I say Navi isprobably more annoying. for most of the reasons that have already been posted in this thread.

Deeds

no text
Fi. I wouldn't find either of them annoying if Fi didn't remind me about my hearts being low when in boss fights. Yes Fi, I know my hearts are low, that bleeping i'm hearing can tell me, I don't need you as well, haha.

As others have said, if I were to choose, Fi is the obvious choice. I didn't actually find either character to be annoying, though, at least no in excess. Each character had points where they got on my nerves, but that's sort of an inevitable result of the "helper character", and like misskitten, the main issue is when the character forces you to hear what they have to say, or gives you an annoying sound to indicate they have something to say (both of which have been done by either character). I enjoy both characters a lot, and I do think the rage against them tends to be blown a little out of proportion. It's valid, but out of proportion. Still, if I were to pick one as the most annoying, I'd have to choose Fi because she's a lot more invasive than Navi.

I like Fi's voice, sounds robotic and fits the way she talks. The only thing I found annoying is when she reminds me that the batteries are about to run out. -.-
Yeah, that irked me a lot too. Actually, what was worse for me is the "you're low on hearts" notifications, because she would never stop. This is a game that's supposed to be challenging, Nintendo, so don't you think it would be a good idea to not add insult to injury and continue punishing us for losing hearts?

Everything's wrong with being so obvious to the point of insanity. Say you just hit a timeshift orb. Fi then comes up and says "Master [name], readings indicate there is a 95 percent chance that you have hit a timeshift orb [...]". Tell me that isn't annoying. If you do, you are either very tolerant of people, or you must be a robot yourself! Her 'percent calculations' are nothing more than a waste of time and a way to fit computer jargon into a medieval game. There was absolutely no reason for Fi to be as annoyingly obvious as she is. What need have we for her to tell us that we just solved a puzzle, the result of which we knew beforehand? Not even Navi does that kinda thing.
With regards to the timeshift orb example, you're oversimplifying it. She first gives you that notification when you first encounter said object, and clearly new players would have no idea what they actually are, so Fi's info is useful, especially in explaining the time aspect, as a player isn't going to be able to figure that out on their own, even if they can figure out the gameplay. I believe she did mention it a few times later, but if I recall, each one was also along with other information regarding the situation and how the timeshift stone specifically affected it in that circumstance. It's not as blatantly useless as you're making it out to be, and I suspect that you were like me and were made familiar with the Timeshift Stones' concept long before playing the game, but that's just not the case for everyone and a game can't be designed under the assumption that everyone kept up on pre-release coverage.

As for your complaints about percentages, I don't understand why that's something to complain about. It almost sounds like you're equating it to being an actual analysis to help the player, but it never was. It was Fi's particular speech pattern and it was only constantly repeated because that's part of the character. It's just one bit of Skyward Sword's high-quality dialogue.

I will definitely agree with you though that there were a handful of stupid design mistakes with Fi, but I don't think the ones you've listed are them...

arkvoodle

Diabolical
I actually adore Fi. I love her design and her attitude. The dialogue can be repetitive, but at least she balances that out with her awesome voice and storyline additions.

Navi on the other hand wasn't that interesting, in my opinion, and her character design and voice wasn't very appealing either. "HEY HEY HEY" opposed to Fi's wonderfully robotic flowing tones.

I'll have to say Navi was more annoying than Fi.

E

elf129

Navi by a landslide. She intrudes way more it seems and continues to bug you until you listen to her. I do wish Fi talked faster and didn't have to do her whole spiel every time you fail the silent realm tests.

The two are very different, so it's kind of hard to compare them... Fi is very analytical and unemotional like a robot (must be why Scrapper likes her so much), while Navi is not. I didn't really think either were that annoying. The beginning of the games is heavy with both of them popping up, but that's understandable. I found myself chuckling at some of the things Fi said. I kind of wish she had more personality, but then again, she is the spirit of a sword.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom