• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Who is Links mom and dad from Tp

HylianEVAN

Conquer yourself
Ive always wondered who links parents are.
Well I have some proof that Tp Links grandparents or possibly Tp Links mom and dad is Link and malon from Ocarina of time.
Hear me out. Link from Tp was raised on the farm side of hyrule kinda like how malon was raised in a farm. Plus if you play the flute that calls the hawk in ordan village you can hear that he’s playing the song that malon sings in Oot.
So I’m guessing when Tp Link was a baby, his mother would sing to him malons theme.

Plus if Oot Link were to marry Someone in hyrule castle then wouldn’t that mean Tp Link would’ve been raised in hyrule castle?

Plus :Spoiler alert: Hero shade from Tp if Oot Link. If you don’t believe me then look it up in hyrule historia the book.

Now when you learn all the moves that hero shade gives you :spoiler alert: he says goodbye my son.

Now I don’t think Oot Link and malon is the father and mother of Tp Link but could be a great grandfather or grandmother.

Tell me what you think.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
First off, there's no way Link from Twilight Princess could be a first, or even second generation descendant of any Ocarina of Time characters, since hundreds of years pass between the two games (at the very least, more than a century).

But, on that note, I've always believed that Link from Twilight Princess was a descendant of Malon in some way. Not only is Link a rancher in the game, but he also has Epona, and a Gossip Stone quote in Ocarina of Time hints towards Link and Malon forming some kind of relationship.
Gossip Stone said:
They say that Malon of Lon Lon Ranch hopes a knight in shining armor will come and sweep her off her feet someday.

Furthermore, when Link picks reed grass to call Epona, as you mentioned (although you said Hawk grass, accidentally I presume), it plays Epona's song. However, knowing that Twilight Princess Link is a descendant of the Hero's Shade (the Hero of Time from Ocarina of Time), who also knew Epona's song and "owned" Epona as of Majora's Mask, it is also possible that Link and Malon were never a thing and Link simply raised his children to be ranchers.

But here's another thing. After the conclusion of Majora's Mask, when Link returned to Hyrule and Ganondorf attacked, Link fought as a knight in the ensuing war, and presumably went down as a knight too considering the Hero's Shade's armour (though that could also just be symbolic). If he spent the rest of his life fighting, he would not have had the time to find love and start a family, and in Twilight Princess it is implied that he never met any of his descendants (including children), or at least they were too young for him to pass on his skills before he died.
Hero's Shade said:
Although I accepted life as the hero, I could not convey the lessons of that life to those that came after. At last, I have eased my regrets.

With all this being considered, Link from Twilight Princess would have needed someone else to bring him up as a rancher. The only other person in the game who knew Epona's song, and Epona herself, was her original owner, Malon. Malon was also the only Hylian girl, other than Zelda, that Link had significant interactions with in Hyrule, and it's pretty clear that Link was not brought up in royalty. Also, if you think about the fact that Link fought as a knight, and then think back to the Gossip Stone quote about Malon, and you can get a literal interpretation of that quote. So all this being considered, it definitely does seem most likely that Link from Twilight Princess is a descendant of Malon (and we already know he's a descendant of the Hero of Time because of Hyrule Historia).

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
You're making here what I'm going to start calling the
Rey Fallacy: you're assuming the Hero of Twilight's ancestors are somebodies. We don't know that. The Links dont have to be related, as confirmed by the Deku Tree in Wind Waker. Plus, Hyrule is a nation with probably hundreds, if not thousands of citizens. The few characters were provided with may not be the ones that sired the major characters of the future.
Is it possible that he's the descendant of Link and Malon? Absolutely. And I personally think Link would rather hook up with Malon thsn live in the palace or deal with milfs, kids and fish.
The only possible piece of proof you have is Epona's Song, which only shows a relation to Malon, not Link. If the song spread beyond her family or Link got together with anyone else - or even no one at all - that falls apart.
You can't prove anything, no matter how much I cherish my OTPs.

Last edited:

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
The theory that the Hero of Twilight is descended from Malon is a decent one based on some light unsubstantiated evidence. I like it. Malon would be the Hero of Time's most eligible bachelorette.

Unfortunately, while there's some implications that the Hero of Twilight is a direct descendant of the Hero of Time, as per Ninty's vague and nondescript nature of storytelling there are a lot of questions regarding lineage in The Legend of Zelda. This whole "reincarnation" thing is dreadfully explicitly spelled out in Suckward but then it's vaguely implied to outright contradicted elsewhere. If only familial descendants of "Link" can bear the Triforce of courage and perpetuate this ongoing cycle of reincarnation then the Hero of Twilight would have to be related to all other Links as all Links are related.

But this all only regards Link's lineage. To my knowledge, nothing in Twilight Princess ever even alludes to Link's parents. Not the slightest mention of it is ever given. It's another of Twilight's numerous remarkable "WTF Ninty!" moments. All we have is baseless speculation.

Link's parents could have been residents of Ordon, citizens of Hyrule, servants of the Royal Family, denizens of Kakariko or foreigners from abroad. Twilight Princess also suggests the presence of other settlements that are long gone, such as the ruins in Eldin Field, Snowpeak Ruins, and hidden settlements like "Old" Kakariko. Other settlements might exist or may have once existed in the forest or Ordon province. Link's family could have come from any such place.

Last edited:
This whole "reincarnation" thing is dreadfully explicitly spelled out in Suckward but then it's vaguely implied to outright contradicted elsewhere. If only familial descendants of "Link" can bear the Triforce of courage and perpetuate this ongoing cycle of reincarnation then the Hero of Twilight would have to be related to all other Links as all Links are related.
I don't follow your reasoning here... Demise's curse was placed on the blood of the goddess and the spirit of the hero... this does imply that all Zeldas must be related, but places no such restriction on the Links... the spirit of the hero could be inherited by a blood relative, or it could be inherited by someone completely unrelated to any prior Link... it's completely irrelevant when it comes to working out a Link's lineage.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
this does imply that all Zeldas must be related, but places no such restriction on the Links... the spirit of the hero could be inherited by a blood relative, or it could be inherited by someone completely unrelated to any prior Link... it's completely irrelevant when it comes to working out a Link's lineage.

Presumably... but then again the wording is vague and is seemingly contradicted elsewhere. Fwiw I am inclined to agree with you that all Links need not necessarily be related and probably aren't. There's just really nothing definitive to be gleaned from the phrasing, at least from the North American translation. Perhaps the original Japanese is more exact. Glitterberry would be the one to ask about that.

PalaeoJoe

The Diplomatic Dinosaur
But this all only regards Link's lineage. To my knowledge, nothing in Twilight Princess ever even alludes to Link's parents. Not the slightest mention of it is ever given. It's another of Twilight's numerous remarkable "WTF Ninty!" moments. All we have is baseless speculation.

Link's parents could have been residents of Ordon, citizens of Hyrule, servants of the Royal Family, denizens of Kakariko or foreigners from abroad. Twilight Princess also suggests the presence of other settlements that are long gone, such as the ruins in Eldin Field, Snowpeak Ruins, and hidden settlements like "Old" Kakariko. Other settlements might exist or may have once existed in the forest or Ordon province. Link's family could have come from any such place.

I agree that we can't know who Link's parents are. But we can know that one or both of his parents were Hylian. If you look at the ears of the residents of Oradon you will see that all their ears are round none of them exhibit the identifying phenotype of the Hylian people; pointed elf like ears, but Link does have pointed ears. Now this dosn't get us very far. We can't say for sure that they were citizens of Hyrule (though this is likely), and we can't be sure that both were from Hyrule because for all we know this trait only takes one gene copy to be expressed. It is possible that Link's father left Hyrule for some unknown reason and married an Oradonian girl. Or somehow an orphaned baby Link was brought to Oridon and raised by Russell and his wife, I assume Russell because during the beginning of TP Russell played a fatherly role to Link. We can speculate all day about how Link got to Oradon and what happened to his parents, but we can't go further then speculation.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
One interesting detail to take into consideration, is that Link's triforce marking is visible on his hand from the beginning of the game. It is clearly visible from the outset when he's still wearing his Ordon clothes. Obviously his gloves cover it for the rest of the game. But it's there. It's dark, so it's difficult to discern if it's like some sort of magical birth mark or if it's a tattoo. The triforce of courage piece only glows for the first time when Link is pulled through the curtain of Twilight and he transforms into a wolf.

Soooooo... where'd it come from? If it's natural then it would imply his inherent connection to the Triforce. If it's a tattoo then that would mean he or someone had some reason to associate him with the triforce... or maybe it's just something he did on a lark or because he thought it looked cool and it just happened to have relevance to the plot? :shrugs:

In any case, it's the only thing that so much as hints at any of Link's backstory.

It should be noted that the Twilight Princess manga has some ... interesting ideas regarding Link's history prior to living in Ordon.

Wow, it's almost like no one here read Hyrule Historia where it literally says Link is descended from the Hero of Time. That means directly blood related (which even if he wasnt an ancestor, the heros shade even tells you his hidden skills are for their bloodline only) This also reiterated in Hyrule encyclopedia. And you cannot descend from an aunt or uncle either. Descend means to go down. And no, it doesn't span hundreds of years either. It was confirmed in Iwata asks that Twilight Princess takes place 100 years after Ocarina of Time.

Attachments

• Hero of time.PNG
    Hero of time.PNG
    578.2 KB · Views: 4
I like that we dont know about their parents,some fans really ship him with the other Oot candidates,leaving it unanswered allow the fanbase to dream. The beta story of Oot for example would put saria in the 'normal' competition if the story went live.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
You're making here what I'm going to start calling the
Rey Fallacy: you're assuming the Hero of Twilight's ancestors are somebodies. We don't know that. The Links dont have to be related, as confirmed by the Deku Tree in Wind Waker. Plus, Hyrule is a nation with probably hundreds, if not thousands of citizens. The few characters were provided with may not be the ones that sired the major characters of the future.
Is it possible that he's the descendant of Link and Malon? Absolutely. And I personally think Link would rather hook up with Malon thsn live in the palace or deal with milfs, kids and fish.
The only possible piece of proof you have is Epona's Song, which only shows a relation to Malon, not Link. If the song spread beyond her family or Link got together with anyone else - or even no one at all - that falls apart.
You can't prove anything, no matter how much I cherish my OTPs.

“We meet again… At last, the skills I have to teach you have entered the realm of true secrecy. They are forgotten ways that do not leave our bloodline.
-Hero's Shade upon learning the fifth hidden skill

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
We will never know who his parents are. He might be related by blood to the Hero of Time considering the Hero's Shade is confirmed to be that Hero, but I really doubt that is his father. Clearly a lot of time has passed inbetween Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess, and I think that rules out the Hero of Time being his father. I know some people theorize the Hero of Time married Malon, which is why Link inherited an offspring of Epona in TP and is a ranch hand, but even if this is correct, it still doesn't help us determine who Link's parents are in TP.

It will always remain a mystery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom