• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Who is Dark Link?

Dr3W21

shoegaze girl
We all know the infamous Dark Link that inhabits the also infamous Water Temple, but how much do we really know about him? Who exactly is Dark Link?

None of us really seem to know why he is after Link, or why he resembles him. He is very intimidating, yes, but that does not explain why he is there. Also, why is he in the Water Temple of all places? Why not the Shadow or Fire Temples?
There are way too many questions left unanswered about Dark Link, and I think it would be pretty cool if Nintendo found a way to answer them.

Agree? Disagree? Discuss.

ShaneOMac713

The Seal has been Broken
I agree with you why wouldn't Dark Link I don't know maybe be in the Shadow Temple sense that is pretty much all he is is a shadow of Link. It doesn't make sense for him to be in the water temple as a mini boss when he should be in the shadow temple as a mini boss or the boss of it if they made him harder to fight.

its probably because, of how water reflects a person and dark link is the opposite reflection of link. The story of dark link may be solved in Aol.

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
Maybe it'll come up in Skyward Sword! Dark Link is a fascinating "character", if you can call him that. Who is he? Why is he in the middle of the Water Temple? The fans want to know!!!

Djinn

and Tonic
An origin was given for Dark Link in FSA. He was created by the Dark Mirror when Link looked into it. It creates a shadowy copy of whoever looks into the mirror made out of the wickedness within them.
"That mirror reveals the wickedness within a person and brings it to life. It's an item of terrible, dark power. No good can come from this. Shadow Link!! Could he be your evil reflection, cast by the Dark Mirror?" — White Maiden

As for him appearing in the Water Temple of OoT, I equate that to Link fighting Phantom Ganon earlier in the Forest Temple. Link already overcame a dark copy of Ganondorf, showing that Link might have the ability to overcome him. But could Link overcome himself? Even Navi mentions this,
"Dark Link Conquer yourself!" — Navi
This is similar to Shadow Link's purpose in AoL, that he was the final challenge for the true hero to see if they are worthy of the Triforce of Courage. Many strong individuals can overcome the temples and defeat the monsters within, even the bosses in them. But not everyone has the ability to overcome their own wickedness and dark emotions within themselves and come out on top. This proved Link was truly worthy. It is this capability to take one's own dark reflection and give it life that makes things like

Morpha was already mentioned as the reason behind the frozen Zora's Domain, so Ganondorf needed it to remain there to control the waters of Hyrule.
"This ice is created by an evil curse... The monster in the Water Temple is the source of the curse." — Sheik
But Dark Link appears suddenly within the temple, almost as an after thought. He has no real introduction or purpose. But he could have been hastily made by Ganondorf to stop Link from making it to Morpha and undoing the curse on Zora's Domain. Another thing to consider is that Dark Link was guarding the long shot inside the temple. An item that very easily defeats Morpha. Ganondorf would want that guarded if he knew of it's location. The way I see it, Morpha was necessary to control the waters of Hyrule, and Dark Link was specifically created to stop Link from continuing his quest and awakening the sage.

its probably because, of how water reflects a person and dark link is the opposite reflection of link. The story of dark link may be solved in Aol.

This is an interesting interpenetration, Ganondorf could have used his mastery over the water temple to create a dark reflection of Link within that room. Dark Link did seem to disappear back into the water sometimes and then pop back out. The cursed waters might have had a similar effect to the dark mirror of FSA. The reflection was brought to life made from the wickedness deep within Link.

whiteknight455

The Zelda Nerd
I say that Ganon made the first dark Link then Link killed him then the mirror thing happened and that is the same Link in AoL

The room in which you faced Dark Link also seemed a bit out of place (the illusion(?)). That room seems so significant to the story, like Dark Link himself did, but it just seemed...put there.

My theory is that Dark Link was originally going to have a more important role in OoT, but for some reason, it was scrapped. They may have just kept him in the game, and drastically minimized his "role". I surmise that the same can be said about the room in which he was fought. On the subject of the room (illusion): It probably was originally planned to be in another location. Or the Water Temple's purpose was slightly, if not greatly, altered.

Fierce

Deity Link
Dark Link is Link's shadow/ reflection in the evil water of the Water Temple.
The room was likely jinxed so that anyone who walked through it would have to fight an dark illusion of themselves-- created by walking through the water.
This is likely why the room seems haunted when you walk in and why there is water covering the bottom. (Also why Dark Link can drop into the reflective pool below and reappear anywhere.)

Much like Morpha's water is cursed in the boss room. Clever, really.

I agree with Fierce. In OoT, after your battle, the water either drains or disappears as you approach the door to the Longshot room. I haven't exactly watched it, but I did observe it the first time I fought him. I think that either Dark Link is the result of a jinx, or merely an illusion. But you may be asking,"if he is a mere illusion, how can he hurt you?". Good question. My answer is the illusion hurts you the same way that all enemies hurt you in the dream world of Link's Awakening - they were programmed to decrease a variable representing Link's health.

Fierce

Deity Link
I agree with Fierce. In OoT, after your battle, the water either drains or disappears as you approach the door to the Longshot room. I haven't exactly watched it, but I did observe it the first time I fought him. I think that either Dark Link is the result of a jinx, or merely an illusion. But you may be asking,"if he is a mere illusion, how can he hurt you?". Good question. My answer is the illusion hurts you the same way that all enemies hurt you in the dream world of Link's Awakening - they were programmed to decrease a variable representing Link's health.

Or the illusion itself does hurt you. Sort of like Genjutsu in Naruto. Dark magic can do pretty powerful things after all. I think Link falls under the spell the moment he walks into the room.

What if there is a mist or fog in that room that is hallucinogenic? Or "dark magic mist(?)", as the hallucinations could be dark magic-induced (hexed) and therefore Link can be damaged by it. Or it could be a mind/body thing (like Genjutsu from Naruto, Fierce ;)). ...sounds a little Harry Potter-esque, to be honest.

I guess the origins of OoT's Dark Link and the room are to be left to the player's imagination. You just have to "fill in the blanks" and use deductive reasoning from what the game gives you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom