• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Who else Agrees That Shooters Suck?

octorok74

TETTAC
I love shooters. Halo is one of the best games I've ever played, next to the Zelda series of coarse. And it's not just the gameplay that I factor in. I also base how well a game is on how well the controls feel and how accepting the multiplayer community is. CoD I don't like for many reasons, but a big one being that everyone who plays it on XBL are always rude or hate you after you slip up just one time. Halo on the other hand is very forgiving unless you enter into the Major League Gaming area or get into a heated game of Grifball. I've made all of my XBL friends by playing Halo: Reach and other then the fact that I'm a clan leader, nearly everyone will forgive for an honest mistake.

I guess enjoying shooters is more of an aquired taste and depending on what shooter it is, there can be quite a bit more of an adventure theme than shooter.

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
I don't say that they suck either, they're rather "meh" for me. The only shooter I sometimes play is good old Counter Strike with some friends over LAN (in one room), which is a lot of fun, especially when there are many people on a small map! Lots of laughing, screaming, raging and swearing guaranteed!
But I don't care at all for online gaming and I find single-player mission mode on shooters to be extremely boring and repetitive. Personally, when I look at a modern shooter like for example anything from the CoD series then I think to myself "Wait, so besides the graphics and some tacked-on gimmicks like levelling system, what is the difference to the previous game and why should I shell out that much money for it?" Most FPSes just aren't very creative and bring new interesting gameplay elements to the table, they feel like just another minor update of Doom.

Danigo92498

Someone You Met Online
IMO, shooters are WAY too easy. My dad had been playing Black Ops(he's pretty good) on Veteran and he's like dying left and right. My cousin(pro-gamer) dies a little less. I don't die at all and make them look like toddlers; that's alot considering i don't like first-person shooters at all. Also, some of their stories are plain dumb. CoD's storyline wasn't that bad though... for a first-person shooter

H

Hakuna Matata

I love shooters. Really, I love lots of different types of games, but shooters generally are able to branch into the vast majority of them. As previously mentioned, Zelda has its own shooting aspects. One of the things I liked most in the Wii version of Twilight Princess, for example, was the third-person aiming for the bow.

I generally prefer third-person shooters. The gameplay of MGS4 was probably my favorite gameplay of the series that I had played, even though it was brought down by the lack of gameplay and presence of a story that was, all-in-all, inferior to Metal Gear Solid 3 (though those are some giant shoes to fill). Dead Space 2 was one of the survival horror games I looked forward to playing the most when I decided that I should start getting into the genre because the gameplay I witnessed watching a Let's Play of it made it seem like a good game in the genre. In fact, I have really liked the Let's Plays of the genre that I have seen and a large chunk of them have been shooters.

I don't like any CoD or Halo games because they are all the same, repetitive thing. But I don't mind games like Goldeneye or Metroid Prime and some others.

You realize that by posting this thread you are just ASKING for trouble, I hope.
Saying that shooter suck is similar to stating that you hate video games. Shooters are such a wide genre that this is a common bias that usually comes across people when playing only some of the more modern shooters. The Portal series, is techinally a shooter, even though it's a puzzle game and the only gun you have shoots portals. Also, don't forget those oldies like Doom and Quake that totally revolutionized gaming as we know it.

I think shooters are fun in a LAN setting. I've been playing Payday with friends and we have a good time. Playing through the single player mode is alright, if you wanna learn the maps and find cool cover spots on your own. But I think they are best played in a LAN setting. I mention Payday cause its the only shooter ive played recently, but i remember really digging the Tom Clancy games Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six (PC). Also, most of the time we are playing in co-op against AI. I think its more fun to work together as a group then just run and gun each other.

You realize that by posting this thread you are just ASKING for trouble, I hope.
Saying that shooter suck is similar to stating that you hate video games. Shooters are such a wide genre that this is a common bias that usually comes across people when playing only some of the more modern shooters. The Portal series, is techinally a shooter, even though it's a puzzle game and the only gun you have shoots portals. Also, don't forget those oldies like Doom and Quake that totally revolutionized gaming as we know it.

all i gotta say is...Contra.....

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I don't like any CoD or Halo games because they are all the same, repetitive thing. But I don't mind games like Goldeneye or Metroid Prime and some others.

Are you seriously throwing Halo under the same bus as Call of Duty?...*facepalm* You might as well throw GoldenEye under it as well. Also, Metroid Prime isn't an FPS...

Also, if you think FPS games are the "same repetitive thing", then why do you love Zelda?

all i gotta say is...Contra.....

All I gotta say is...Halo.....

Last edited:
What? No! I must disprove this assumption pronto. Two words... Duck Hunt.

256px-DuckHuntBox.jpg

Best shooting game ever. Its 8-bit graphics are so much more impressive for its time, compared to any of these first-person-shooters you see nowadays. And the controls are so amazing. That Nintendo Zapper? Yea, advanced technology right there. You needed decent skills in order to successfully shoot your targets via aim without a cursor--much cooler than just shooting with a controller, no? This was, like, revolutionary... it was practically 1:1 controls in-the-making! Next time you pick up that Wii-Motion Plus, think about that.

But anyways... just because you played one shooter and didn't like it doesn't mean you won't like any of them. Otherwise, you'll mislabel games like beloved Duck Hunt.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom