• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Who else Agrees That Shooters Suck?

I dislike the popular shooters such as CoD and even the new Halos (I felt halo got bad after the second one..). But some shooters I find really fun such as Team Fortress 2, and more recently Battlefield 3 seems alright :D

i like a lot rail shooter like star fox 64 and sin and punishment 2

what i don`t like in game like call of duty is that your too far to see your ennemies so the graphic are kind of useless.

onidarklink2

An Hero of our Time
I have to agree with most of the people posting here in that the shooter genre itself, and many of the games in the genre, aren't bad; it's just games like the COD series that make it look bad because they're all basically the same thing. I don't play very many shooters myself, but I'm sure the genre isn't as bad as many COD haters make it out to be.

Speaking of good shooters, I'll try to list all of the series that I can remember that were good to me:

Call of Duty (Zelda fans, hush up a bit and realize that CoD is perhaps the BIGGEST franchise of all time. Definitely the fastest and highest selling.)
Halo (I dislike all releases past CE, but they're good games regardless of my personal qualms)
Half Life
Team Fortress
Counter Strike (mod of Half Life)
Turok
Resident Evil (it's really a survival horror, but they play basically the same as any ol other shooter. And the combat medium is a gun.)
BLACK (short lived but it was the best shooter on PS2 in my honest opinion)
Battlefield
DELTA FORCE (best shooter series ever, DF2 for reals)
Army of Two
[there are many more that I cannot remember]

Zelda fans lately seem to think that because you play a shooter that you're a traitor. Or if you like a shooter that it means you like Call of Duty. I personally LOVE CoD, for reasons I won't and certainly don't have to state, but I am in no way a traitor because of that. I can like Zelda as equally as I like CoD. I can like Zelda as equally as I like shooters (though I prefer Zelda anyway). Comments such as:

are totally unwarranted and certainly harmful. Admittedly, I laughed at a lot of Zelda fans' obvious hatred for the shooter genre because they mistakingly branded the shooter genre as "Call of Duty" without realizing that Shooter isn't synonymous with CoD. Still, there are many great shooters out there, you just have to look for them.

Totally agree.
And, I didn't even think of it but, Half Life is a great example.
Half Life, and Half Life 2 are AMAZING games.
In fact, I think Half Life 2 is an experience that most gamers should, well... Experience.
Even if it is a shooter. :P

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
i like a lot rail shooter like star fox 64 and sin and punishment 2

what i don`t like in game like call of duty is that your too far to see your ennemies so the graphic are kind of useless.
That's in any game, no matter what you play. Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D is actually the epitome of draw distance affecting the pixelation/realization of enemy 3D models. CoD doesn't do that, however, unless you're very VERY far from an enemy. In which case, you should own a sniper ;P

I dislike the popular shooters such as CoD and even the new Halos (I felt halo got bad after the second one..). But some shooters I find really fun such as Team Fortress 2, and more recently Battlefield 3 seems alright :D
Wait, you like BF3 but not CoD? They've the same gameplay, only thing missing from CoD is vehicle control and explosions...wait, no, we have MOAB, Pred Missle, AC-130, Reaper, Recon Drone, Napalm Strike and so on as point streak rewards. I'm confused. :?

fused_shadows

Brave Knight of Truth
I dislike shooters only because of the little light bulb ideas they put in heads of teens. My friend never used to speak about joining the war, but now after hes played these games he thinks he is invincible and that he would kill in wars. He's my friend, i dont want to see him die in a war! CoD did that to him, and one day, knock on wood, CoD may actually kill my friend. This is why i dislike shooters.

Ganondork

goo
Crayk said:
Shooting games are boring for me. They don't have some points for shooting.

Uh, what? Every shooting game has a reason to kill, even if it isn't very obvious. Call of Duty, Battlefield, their like, all have a reason; they got drafted and it's their job. Dead Space 2, you're trying to avoid becoming a necromorph like everyone else on the ship. In Bioshock you don't want to get killed and you're either going after Fontaine or Lamb. I could go on and on, the list is almost infinite; as long as there's a shooter, there's more than likely a reason to kill.

I'm really not very sure where you got this idea from; from a friend, from a family member, maybe just a sweeping generalization you made? I'm not sure, but it's definitely wrong. If you haven't played a shooter yet and you came to this conclusion, please play a shooter and then tell me whether or not there's a reason. If you have played a shooter, then try other shooters, because you've stumbled upon the lower quality shooters.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I dislike shooters only because of the little light bulb ideas they put in heads of teens. My friend never used to speak about joining the war, but now after hes played these games he thinks he is invincible and that he would kill in wars. He's my friend, i dont want to see him die in a war! CoD did that to him, and one day, knock on wood, CoD may actually kill my friend. This is why i dislike shooters.
CoD didn't do that to him. People who talk of the army, they're generally serious people. Unless he has some psychological problem going on, and I doubt he does but who knows, he's not serious about going to the army to kill people. The army is serious business, it's to protect the nation not for fun. It's very far off to say a game, Call of Duty no less, changed your friend like that.

I don't necessarily hate shooters but I'm getting tired of some of them like COD or Battlefield because that's just not my genre or something. I just don't know why I can't get into them. I guess I'm more of a storyline guy which is why I love Zelda, Assassin's Creed, and Halo. I know Halo is a shooter but it's a big jump from the rest.
Another reason that I might not like COD or Battlefield is that they are too realistic and/or when I try to play online I can't get the hang of it. No help to those out there who live and breath those games...

Everyone's different with their own preference so I'll agree to disagree on some issues. Just don't get me started on if Windwaker was worse than or better than Twilight Princess :) :lol:

The most major problem is that the young adults of this gaming generation rate anything with an E or E10 on the cover as a bad, childish game. You pull up the name Zelda at any conversation at my school, and you get plenty of fingers and laughs in your face. This is the problem, they won't expand their horizon to different genres of games and stick with the generic CoD and rate anything else as not as good is that.
^
This.

I don't mind FPS games, but I feel like they're all pretty much the same. I don't really get anything more out of a modern FPS than I did out of Golden Eye back on the N64. And there's this mentality among many (not all) FPS fans that anything not rated M can't possibly be for mature gamers. Pretty backwards IMHO.

it's not that shooters suck, it's that there are WAY too many of them so they all kind of blur into one another. Shooters have no originality though. That's for sure....

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
If you play a game for its story, I think there may be something wrong with you...but of course, Turo can explain that. My main point is, a shooter doesn't exist for the story. Shooters primarily exist for the SHOOTING part. If you want a story, go play an RPG. The story is simply the icing on the cake of gameplay. >.>'

^THIS, is not true. Shooters are games, and games tell stories. Are all of them deep or even good? No, some games tend to focus on gameplay but since when did a shooter exist for just the gameplay? If that's the case, then every shooter should be innovative. Just because people have turned the FPS genre to crap by being easily amused by "realism", simple gameplay, blood, explosions, and random easy to achieve kills doesn't mean that shooters shouldn't have stories. The story is the reason a game even exist, shooting is just the way their going to tell it. I hate that people get the wrong image of the shooting genre because of dumb *** extra content and Call of Duty. Honestly, I don't see the fun in holding down the right trigger and running around like a headless chicken day in and day out for 60 dollars a year (plus more if you factor in DLC). Sure, it's stupid fun, but how long is that fun until it gets boring? I mean, what's my motivation? Who the hell cares about this guy I'm playing as? Thank goodness for real games like Halo and Gears of War.

Hahaha RPGs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom