• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Who else Agrees That Shooters Suck?

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Shooters are very great. It just depends on the game you're playing. Don't let hot garbage like CoD make up your mind on the entire genre. Halo, Gears of War, Army of Two, Rainbow Six, all very great games. They can be just as deep and satisfying as a Zelda game. Take Halo for example, it gives you memorable characters, great music, innovavtive gameplay, amazing story and universe, and visually pleasing enviornments. To say the least, Gears of War pretty much made third person shooters what they are today. Army of Two really focuses on teamwork and makes both players important. Hell, Army of Two is the definition of co-op. And Rainbow Six, takes realism in video games to a whole other level. Dead is dead in Rainbow Six, therefore it really encourages you to do your best and not just oh look, right trigger shoots. So, do shooters suck? Not at all, just the person who sucks at picking games.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I have always loved zelda. The first game i played was the first. Ive been a fan forever. Then when call of duty came out, i bought it, then returned it. I hated it. Shooters have horrible gameplay, but realistic graphics. If you want a shooter thats good, play the frist metroid prime. Cod and other shooters dont deserve sequels. When mw3 came out, i said to myself, just write 3 in green on mw2 and you have mw3. The only difference is slightly better graphics. Who else agrees?

I disagree with you there. The graphics don't improve on COD games, they all look the same.
I also disagree with you when you say shooters suck. Halo is an amazing franchise and with the exception of ODST, the shooter games produced were of high quality, with pretty graphics and good storylines and cutscenes. Gears of war 2 is also a good shooter along with Bulletstorm and Turok. I don't see what you mean about the horrible gameplay either. The controls for Cod were smooth and easy.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I disagree with you there. The graphics don't improve on COD games,
Not true, polygon count and shading improves with each new release. At least that's something.
MW3 actually was an improvement to the CoD multiplayer, what with the revamped pointstreak system and Strike Packages.

If you play a game for its story, I think there may be something wrong with you...but of course, Turo can explain that. My main point is, a shooter doesn't exist for the story. Shooters primarily exist for the SHOOTING part. If you want a story, go play an RPG. The story is simply the icing on the cake of gameplay. >.>'

Ganondork

goo
VanitasXII said:
If you play a game for its story, I think there may be something wrong with you...but of course, Turo can explain that. My main point is, a shooter doesn't exist for the story. Shooters primarily exist for the SHOOTING part. If you want a story, go play an RPG. The story is simply the icing on the cake of gameplay. '

What? This basically highlights my point of people think shooters are just Call of Duty and Battlefield. Shooters obviously do have stories, otherwise it's not a video game to begin with. People just ignore the story for whatever reason. Even Call of Duty and its kind have stories, but people are too busy thinking about killing another person to pay attention to the actual story. Allow me to enlighten you on shooters with stories; Red Steel 2, Bioshock, Conduit, Gears of War, and so forth. Bioshock's entire game revolves around the story. Because unlike Call of Duty, there's a legitimate reason for having to kill, not just because you got drafted into a war, but because you're escaping an underwater nightmare.

And I forgot to raise another point. Shooters are games that utilize any long-distance weapon - a gun, a crossbow, a regular bow, etc. But wait, what does this mean? Zelda uses bows, right? This means Zelda - the game we've all come together on a forum to discuss - has shooter aspects because of its use of bows. Pretty sure people play Zelda partially for its story as well. So not to be rude, but please play a shooter other than Call of Duty and Battlefield and you'll understand how important story is to many shooters.

TheMasterSword

The Blade of Evil's Bane
Not all shooters are half bad. But i agree, COD sucks and is waaayy overrated. Not to mention its a game that annoys everyone. At school kids wont shut up about 6th prestige and all this crap. Some shooters are good, Halo is, Battlefield is alright. But most are lacking. I agree with your perspective for the most part.

My main problem with CoD is that its random. There are a lot of problems I can address like how linear the story mode is, same enemies just with different clothing, duck, shoot, reload and repeat throughout the entire game. The gameplay of the story mode has no innovation what so ever and its just boring in my opinion which is why I think a lot of people care more about the multiplayer. CoD doesn't take skill at all for two reasons. The first reason is that the multiplayer is random. You don't know where the enemies are and you have to play it safe. If you run all over the place, you'll get killed. If you camp, then you will get low kills. Anything can happen which is why I don't enjoy the multiplayer. I do not suck at the game, I have a good K-D ratio but let me go into my second reason, all you do is aim down your sight at the center of the screen and push a button. CoD isn't challenging at all but all it does is test you patience which sucks. To answer your question, there are a lot of good shooters. I recommend the Metroid Prime games, Bioshock, and the House of the Dead games if you own the newer generation consoles. For older consoles, I recommend Goldeneye, Turok, Duke Nukem 3D, Wolfenstien 3D, Doom, Perfect Dark, ect.

Last edited:

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I've never been interested in shooter games. FPS's don't do it for me. It's not that I think the games are bad... Honestly, I don't like guns. I also don't like a lot of blood and gore in video games. That's one of the reasons why I like Zelda so much. You get to use an awesome sword and partake in epic battles, without all the senseless blood and gore. Just one more reason for me to love Zelda.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
You get to use an awesome sword and partake in epic battles, without all the senseless blood and gore.
Senseless? My good friend Azure, the blood you see in most M rated games is nothing more than realistic. Link would've been bludgeoned to death, you would see him impaled, he would have lost arms...and what comes from wounds? Blood. And in more severe cases, the gore/intestines of the specimen who, valiantly or not, sustained those wounds of severity. I do agree, blood and gore don't seem fit for the Zelda series, but blood and gore are anything but senseless. After all, we need something to carry on bodily functions and to clean us out, amirite?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I do agree, blood and gore don't seem fit for the Zelda series, but blood and gore are anything but senseless. After all, we need something to carry on bodily functions and to clean us out, amirite?

Umm... Vanitas, I think you're thinking of the word "useless", not senseless. And I didn't say useless. I say senseless because the level of violence in some of those games is beyond necessary. That's how I feel about it, anyway. After all, I personally hate senseless violence. And excessive blood and gore falls under that category.

Hylian Pants

Nintendo Wench
I'll admit, I probably haven't played as many FPSs as other people here, but the only two shooters that I didn't find horribly dull so far in my gaming travels are Metroid Prime and Red Steel 2. As far as Metroid goes, well, it's a classic, engaging, and it's more than just spraying bullets all over the place. Red Steel 2 has the switch between sword and firearm element that I really enjoy, and the game world fits, while making an interesting fantasy combo of eastern and western motifs.
I'm simply not very drawn to games like CoD, Halo, Battlefield, and war-type shooters. I don't really get a lot of the hoopla. I do prefer adventure, third-person games most of the time, since I find them infinitely more interesting, but I try to remain open to other genres. Certainly there are plenty of FPSs that are overrated and not worth the popularity, but good ones are definitely out there. I'm a tried and true longtime Mario/Zelda/Pokemon nut and even I can accept that. Once in a blue moon I'll experiment out of my comfort zone and buy one. However, I do have a clear memory of one of my high school computer classes: A few classmates would always take the computers facing away from the teacher and play Halo all period. I just remember thinking how totally boring the whole thing seemed..But ya'know, it's all about personal preference, and kind of unfair make a general statement like "all shooters suck".

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
The shooting aspect has never been a hindrance for me enjoying the games, except when they rehash the same features as before, such as Call of Duty. But moving on with that there's something about shooters that draws me into the fray. The short few hours playing Halo 1 made me feel like I was part of the action as I ducked behind destroyed walls and popped back up with a timed shot. Utterly nothing wrong with undergoing immersion like that; just don't expect me to turn fanatic at the thought of gun blazing. ( Swords > Guns ) ;)

No, my typical aversion is brought about through certain attributes that usually pervade shooter games. They're used as a way to maintain interest of the consumers, but it's not for me. Usually the genre is too overladen with things such as gratuitous bloodshed and nigh nonstop obscenities. Oh yes, and quite a few explicit moments to accompany those. All of that is senseless (as Azure Sage said) to me, because it seems that's all they rely on to attract the attention of the majority. Whatever it takes to appeal to the fan, I know, but does it have to be so consistent? Most every shooter is rated Mature for those three gaming elements. You can still have a limited amount of these, enough to drop it down to T, and potentially get more patrons out of it. But whatever Microsoft and Sony(?). Guess you aren't aiming to bring in younger fans for their by making games they'd appreciate too.

'Kay, I'll go back to playing Duck Hunter now. :/

There are some good shooters, and some bad ones.
Saying they all suck isn't fair, though.

If you're not into the whole shooting thing, that's totally cool.
But, in my opinion, there are some honestly good games, that do revolve around shooting.
Not all shooters are as shallow as COD.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Speaking of good shooters, I'll try to list all of the series that I can remember that were good to me:

Call of Duty (Zelda fans, hush up a bit and realize that CoD is perhaps the BIGGEST franchise of all time. Definitely the fastest and highest selling.)
Halo (I dislike all releases past CE, but they're good games regardless of my personal qualms)
Half Life
Team Fortress
Counter Strike (mod of Half Life)
Turok
Resident Evil (it's really a survival horror, but they play basically the same as any ol other shooter. And the combat medium is a gun.)
BLACK (short lived but it was the best shooter on PS2 in my honest opinion)
Battlefield
DELTA FORCE (best shooter series ever, DF2 for reals)
Army of Two
[there are many more that I cannot remember]

Zelda fans lately seem to think that because you play a shooter that you're a traitor. Or if you like a shooter that it means you like Call of Duty. I personally LOVE CoD, for reasons I won't and certainly don't have to state, but I am in no way a traitor because of that. I can like Zelda as equally as I like CoD. I can like Zelda as equally as I like shooters (though I prefer Zelda anyway). Comments such as:
You're a traitor. No. Just no.
And hey, what is that in your avatar! You... You... traitor!
You should then go to a CoD forum instead of this, if noT you already did it TRAITOR Now i just left from your fan club... Realy...
You are such a COD fanboy, Vanitas.
are totally unwarranted and certainly harmful. Admittedly, I laughed at a lot of Zelda fans' obvious hatred for the shooter genre because they mistakingly branded the shooter genre as "Call of Duty" without realizing that Shooter isn't synonymous with CoD. Still, there are many great shooters out there, you just have to look for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom