• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Who Do You Play As in Mario Spin-offs?

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
2dmcppj.png
Whether it's Mario Party, Mario Kart, Mario Tennis, or even the Mario inclusions in Super Smash Bros, these spin-offs always feature its most popular characters. Most of us are a fanboy (or girl) to at least one character and always play as them when we get the chance.

Whenever I get the opportunity, I always play as Luigi. Nobody else comes close in comparison to how much I love playing as him (except maybe Bowser). He is a well-balanced character in these games and even in Super Smash Bros, he is a character I frequently play as, despite the epic number of playable characters. The fact that Luigi is playable in platformers makes me fill with joy. Being player two is worth the sacrifice to get to play as Luigi.

So, who do you play as most frequently in Mario spin-off games? Mario? Peach? Bowser? or some obscure guy that came out of nowhere? (Pointing at you, Wiggler)

The Green Wonder in all his glory.

EDIT: So it turns out that by mentioning Super Smash Bros, people are referring to non-Mario characters, as well.

So, in Super Smash Bros, the Mario characters I play as are Mario, Luigi and Bowser, plus Donkey Kong if you could him as a sub-series. Other characters I play as are Link, Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, Samus, Snake, Ike, Olimar, Kirby and Sonic, some more than others.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I always play as Mario when it comes to Mario Spin Offs, as he is the "player one" of whatever game in my opinion barring Smash Bros. Everyone in my house races to select Mario, and it's because he is such a wellrounded, anyone can use him type character.

In Smash Bros, with Melee I always pick Doc when it comes to Mario characters. His forward aerial destroys.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
Princess Peach. It's something from my childhood when I thought that since I was a girl, I had to be the girliest character. Likewise, my sister was always Daisy. I'll play as Baby Mario if he's available, too, though.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
In Mario Party, I either choose Luigi or Boo.

In Mario Kart, I pick Baby Luigi in the Wii version. For Double Dash, I do Baby Luigi and King Boo.

In Smash Bros., I pick Luigi out of the Mario characters.

In Mario Tennis, I pick Paratroopa.

So basically, I almost never pick Mario in Mario spin-offs.

Majora's Cat

How about that
In Mario Kart 64, I like to choose Bowser. I'm not totally sure if characters in Mario spin-offs have different sorts of abilities all the time, but Bowser seemed like a powerhouse that was able to knock other characters off the course pretty easily. But just in general, I like to stick with Luigi. He's taller, leaner, runs faster and jumps higher than his older brother and is just a likable guy. And for some reason I always prefer to choose him in spin-off games, whether it be just because I like him or because his accessories (like his cart in Mario Kart Wii) look cooler than the others.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I've always chosen Mario's green dino buddy, Yoshi. He's a very upbeat and lovable character, and somehow his exuberance makes the game a lot more enjoyable. I especially love the little excited sounds he makes in, say, Mario Kart when he boosts with a mushroom or wins a race in first place [namely that "shagga-lalala-boo!" chatter]. Everyone in my family will try to versus him if they can, and jokingly harass him. xD But I'm glad he's remained in the Mario franchise as more than a sidekick.

As for Super Smash Bros., I never really choose any Mario characters...because there are better ones. Only if I feel like trying new characters after each fight will I select one.

MW7

Of strictly Mario characters Yoshi would be my favorite, but technically Donkey Kong can be included as well so I'd go with Yoshi and Donkey Kong. I think part of the reason is because I really enjoyed other games focusing on these characters such as Super Mario World 2 and Donkey Kong Country so that led me to like the characters a lot. However, in Super Smash Bros when I'm not Link my second choice is Mario.

TheMasterSword

The Blade of Evil's Bane
Here is my list:
Mario Kart: Yoshi and Koopa Troopa
Mario and Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games: Shadow, Silver, and Mii with Super Sonic costume.
Smash Bros: LOL Mario? Pls. Link, Captain Falcon, and Kirby.
Mario Tennis: It varies by my mood
Mario Party: YOSHI

I don't play many Mario spin offs, i'm not that kind of party girl, but i'll list the ones i do/have played.

Mario Kart - Peach
Smash Bros - Mario, Samus, Link
Mario Party 1 - Yoshi

Boring i know.

Dan

I often enjoy using King boo in the mario kart series. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because .... I like him. ;)
If not King boo it's most likely going to be Donkey kong. The guy after all has the same initials after me. Oh and I totally find him ape split.

Fun fact: I used to loooove Yoshi. Maybe I'll go with Luigi now... Although I'll never ever use Birdo. *Shrugs*.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom